Police Powers & Weapon Permit

Edsel

Re: Police Powers & Weapon Permit

In certain campaigns I might do otherwise' date=' but I think in general I'd require the permit be purchased by police officers (or other officials) who can so carry. If every officer is trained in interrogation we don't give them the Interrogation skill for free; we require that they purchase it (unless there is good story justification) to have the job. Since there are probably real world examples of police officers (somewhere) who can't carry concealed weapons, I'd make the two independent mechanically even if they may not always be dramatically.[/quote']

This is the course I have taken. The two different perks remain. Besides since this is part of a required package deal it effects all players equally.

I have repped Vondy for all of the interesting reading he has posted. I will try to rep Sean again too but I am fairly certain I have repped him too recently.:thumbup:

In the UK you can not habitually carry a firearm in public as a private citizen, or unless required to do so in the course of authorised empolyment no matter who you are and certificate or not. There is therefore a difference between a police officer and firearms officer - the latter have additional training and authorisation, and that should probably be reflected in a cost difference - an additional cost for a perk allowing you to carry a firearm (albeit in the course of employment), or a CWP on top of police powers.

On re-costing, Hero makes you pay a point for a passport: generally a CWP would be more valuable than a passport (depends on the situation, of course) to a PC so I think that if you do re-cost either passports should be 'free' or CWP needs to cost more than 1 point.

I'd make passports a 0 point "everyman perk." They are easy to get and don't provide much utility in a game sense. In a globe-trotting campaign they will be de rigueur. In a settled campaign they will be useless. The only time I'd charge for it would be if it provided some unusual utility an ordinary passport didn't provide, but then, in such a case the passport is arguably subsumed in other perks. Ergo, a fake passport, which could be subsumed in Fake Identity, or even multiple legitimate passports, which could be subsumed in a Dual Nationality perk. I have two passports, for instance. There are places Israelis can't go, but Americans can (Several). And places American's can't go that Israeli can't (Cuba!). So having two passports actually provides me a ultility my single nationality American and British compatriots don't have. But still, I doubt I paid anything point-wise for the passports. Just for the nationalities.

IMO the value of perks is almost always a function of setting / campaign.

Absolutely. I live in Tokyo. Firearms are nearly impossible to obtain -- much less concealed weapons permits!

If you were playing a semi-realistic game set in Tokyo, it is unlikely that any PCs or NPCs would be walking around with a concealed gun. The value of the perk would go way up.

On the other hand, if you were playing in many anime-themed games set in Tokyo, it is likely that just about everybody you meet is packing something -- permits be damned! The perk would be worthless.