Hell Raiser

Gnaskar

IF YOU ARE SILVERBOLT, OR, LESS LIKELY, IN A CAMPAIGN WITH HIM STOP READING NOW!

Background:

Finally decided to get my notes together and run a champions campaign, mostly because I couldn't bare having any more DnD with a compulsive game-breaker for a DM. I figured I'd log our adventures here, as none of the players actually view this sight and only one of them know it exists. The Players are built on 350 points (200 base, 150 in disadds) with a 10 DC cap (it started as a 12 DC cap, but no one actually made an attack over 10 DCs) and most powers at a 50 active point cap (with occasional powers breaching 80). The campaign is set in a slightly modified Millennium City.

The main modifications to the established setting is that the original Champions never existed (with it's members either living elsewhere or not having super powers), and that Dr. Destroyer attacked a decade later than planed. Another feature added just to make the campaign more distinctive, and to simplify mapping, was to make the entire city hex based (as in having city hexes instead of city blocks) strengthening the sci-fi feel of the city. The main bad guys in the campaign is DEMON, those goal is (contrary to the cannon) to send Millennium City into hell. They've got this huge ritual planned, requiring tons of unique items the players can deny them.

The Players are called together when ULTRACOR's Marketing Division decides that founding a superhero team would be a good PR stunt. ULTRACOR is going to be a hated ally of the players throughout the campaign. Everything they recover on their missions will be claimed by ULTRACOR R&D, and Marketing Division will harass the players for every bit of collateral. And to top it all, the entire organization is overrun with VIPER agents.

Team Rooster:

Silverbolt: Storm Mage Blaster. Has light weather control powers and multiple lightning attack powers. Unknown to him, he is one of the five Chosen of Tranmisius, which means: a) he should have owned one of the five Rings of Destiny (granting immortality), and B) DEMON needs to sacrifice him (and the other four) to have the power to send the entire city to hell. DEMON is currently harassing his old mentor in order to discover the identity of the last Chosen; Silverbolt.

Ultrasaur: Lizard Mutant Flying Brick. Officially the only surviving subject of ULTRACOR’s Project X2-3725, designed to make military super soldiers using lizard DNA from various sources. Unknown to him, the project was initiated by VIPER, and they are continuing it in secret. Hunted by furries and VIPER.

Steamjack: Steam-Powered Power-Armor. A British clockmaker who went overboard with the eccentric thing when he became suddenly rich. Notable features include having an large iron jaw. He has a rivalry going with Al Gore, who’s high tech solar powered power armor is completely environmentally friendly. Hunted by Environmentalists.

Pinpoint: Acupuncture Martial Artist. Having left his home town of Beijing after the Triad killed his wife and son in revenge for his meddling, Pinpoint set up a Acupuncture Clinic in Millennium City. Unknown to him, his son was not killed, but brainwashed and trained into a super-assassin by the Triad.

Andy: Snot Based Mutant. When Annie turned eleven he discovered that he could shot snot from his hands. Choosing to call his super powered alter ego a more masculine version of his name, he donned a costume and set out to fight crime. Unique powers include: hiding in a snot cocoon, swing along a snot line, and a singing voice like Jiggilypuff.

GMs initial thoughts:

Groan. Some of those concepts are beyond silly. Even after two weeks coxing and prodding, Steamjack still ended up being turning an intriguing concept into a joke by insisting on a rivalry with Al Gore and that the Environmentalists want him dead. Andy feels like the player just wanted to test my claim that any character could be built in HERO system. And Silverbolt’s ability to teleport away from an incoming attack makes him immune to most damage (our old DM back to his tricks…).

The solution: with Steamjack I’ll just have to RP Al Gore with enough realism to make him a fun rival for the whole party, and keep the environmentalists out of the game until I can make him a target of eco-terrorists without it seeming strange. Andy is still a problem, though having me build the character means he at least is useful in combat, and the player may well enjoy RPing a ten year old. Silverbolt’s player noticed the problem on his own and asked me to build his character for him, as he doesn’t trust himself anymore than the rest of us do.

A few rounds in the danger room did wonders for character creation, with every character going through a refit after the experience. RPing the choosing of a team name helped set the tone for the campaign and showcased a few worries for party dynamics. The sibling rivalry between Silverbolt and Ultrasaur manifested itself with Silverbolt shooting down every one of his brother’s naming suggestions. Steamjack doesn’t RP, but that may well change as he gets used to the concept. And Andy is just going to be strange, though the player couldn’t show due to homework. At this point I can only hope and pray. The first session is in fourteen hours.

Re: Hell Raiser

IF YOU ARE SILVERBOLT' date=' OR, LESS LIKELY, IN A CAMPAIGN WITH HIM STOP READING NOW![/size']

Background:

Finally decided to get my notes together and run a champions campaign, mostly because I couldn't bare having any more DnD with a compulsive game-breaker for a DM. I figured I'd log our adventures here, as none of the players actually view this sight and only one of them know it exists. The Players are built on 350 points (200 base, 150 in disadds) with a 10 DC cap (it started as a 12 DC cap, but no one actually made an attack over 10 DCs) and most powers at a 50 active point cap (with occasional powers breaching 80). The campaign is set in a slightly modified Millennium City.

The main modifications to the established setting is that the original Champions never existed (with it's members either living elsewhere or not having super powers), and that Dr. Destroyer attacked a decade later than planed. Another feature added just to make the campaign more distinctive, and to simplify mapping, was to make the entire city hex based (as in having city hexes instead of city blocks) strengthening the sci-fi feel of the city. The main bad guys in the campaign is DEMON, those goal is (contrary to the cannon) to send Millennium City into hell. They've got this huge ritual planned, requiring tons of unique items the players can deny them.

The Players are called together when ULTRACOR's Marketing Division decides that founding a superhero team would be a good PR stunt. ULTRACOR is going to be a hated ally of the players throughout the campaign. Everything they recover on their missions will be claimed by ULTRACOR R&D, and Marketing Division will harass the players for every bit of collateral. And to top it all, the entire organization is overrun with VIPER agents.

Team Rooster:

Silverbolt: Storm Mage Blaster. Has light weather control powers and multiple lightning attack powers. Unknown to him, he is one of the five Chosen of Tranmisius, which means: a) he should have owned one of the five Rings of Destiny (granting immortality), and B) DEMON needs to sacrifice him (and the other four) to have the power to send the entire city to hell. DEMON is currently harassing his old mentor in order to discover the identity of the last Chosen; Silverbolt.

Ultrasaur: Lizard Mutant Flying Brick. Officially the only surviving subject of ULTRACOR’s Project X2-3725, designed to make military super soldiers using lizard DNA from various sources. Unknown to him, the project was initiated by VIPER, and they are continuing it in secret. Hunted by furries and VIPER.

Steamjack: Steam-Powered Power-Armor. A British clockmaker who went overboard with the eccentric thing when he became suddenly rich. Notable features include having an large iron jaw. He has a rivalry going with Al Gore, who’s high tech solar powered power armor is completely environmentally friendly. Hunted by Environmentalists.

Pinpoint: Acupuncture Martial Artist. Having left his home town of Beijing after the Triad killed his wife and son in revenge for his meddling, Pinpoint set up a Acupuncture Clinic in Millennium City. Unknown to him, his son was not killed, but brainwashed and trained into a super-assassin by the Triad.

Andy: Snot Based Mutant. When Annie turned eleven he discovered that he could shot snot from his hands. Choosing to call his super powered alter ego a more masculine version of his name, he donned a costume and set out to fight crime. Unique powers include: hiding in a snot cocoon, swing along a snot line, and a singing voice like Jiggilypuff.

GMs initial thoughts:

Groan. Some of those concepts are beyond silly. Even after two weeks coxing and prodding, Steamjack still ended up being turning an intriguing concept into a joke by insisting on a rivalry with Al Gore and that the Environmentalists want him dead. Andy feels like the player just wanted to test my claim that any character could be built in HERO system. And Silverbolt’s ability to teleport away from an incoming attack makes him immune to most damage (our old DM back to his tricks…).

The solution: with Steamjack I’ll just have to RP Al Gore with enough realism to make him a fun rival for the whole party, and keep the environmentalists out of the game until I can make him a target of eco-terrorists without it seeming strange. Andy is still a problem, though having me build the character means he at least is useful in combat, and the player may well enjoy RPing a ten year old. Silverbolt’s player noticed the problem on his own and asked me to build his character for him, as he doesn’t trust himself anymore than the rest of us do.

A few rounds in the danger room did wonders for character creation, with every character going through a refit after the experience. RPing the choosing of a team name helped set the tone for the campaign and showcased a few worries for party dynamics. The sibling rivalry between Silverbolt and Ultrasaur manifested itself with Silverbolt shooting down every one of his brother’s naming suggestions. Steamjack doesn’t RP, but that may well change as he gets used to the concept. And Andy is just going to be strange, though the player couldn’t show due to homework. At this point I can only hope and pray. The first session is in fourteen hours.

if you had a "compulsive game breaker for a DM why'd you let him in your game?

Re: Hell Raiser

He's literary trying to reform his ways, one of the reasons he abandoned his original character sheet and asked me to build his character based on his concept. He's also a cool guy, generally, and a lot easier to handle as a player than as a DM (you can say no to players). One of the main reasons for starting this campaign was to reset the group, leaving the mechanics side of gaming to do a more story based one (his campaign followed the pattern: introduce broken enemy, fight broken enemy, loot broken enemy, resurrect casualties; which is fun, for a while.).