Hammerfist, the Good Giant

AlHazred

For reasons I will keep to myself for now, I'm designing pre-gen superheroes that I want to be somewhat... off.

Essentially, I want each of them to be a perfectly reasonable, playable character, but with some flaw or element which will discourage people from just using them permanently; I want to encourage a certain subgroup of lazy gamers to create characters they want to play rather than just use what's available.

Please note, the gender of each hero is also supposed to be player's choice.

My superhero creation skills being a little rusty from disuse, I'd love to get some criticism, commentary, etc.

[b]Hammerfist, the Good Giant - [/b]

[b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b]
25    STR     15   25/65      14- / 22-       HTH Damage 5d6/13d6  END [2/6]
21    DEX     33   21      13-       OCV 7 DCV 7
25    CON     30   25      14-
15    BODY    10   15/23      12- / 14-
10    INT     0   10      11-       PER Roll 11-
14    EGO     8   14      12-       ECV: 5
15    PRE     5   15      12-       PRE Attack: 3d6
12    COM     1   12      11-
20    PD      15   20             20 PD (20 rPD)
14    ED      9   14             14 ED (14 rED)
5    SPD     19   5                 Phases:  3, 5, 8, 10, 12
12    REC     4   12
50    END     0   50
50    STUN    9   50/58
18    RUN      0   18"                END [3]
2    SWIM     0   2"                END [1]
5    LEAP     0   5"/13"                5"/13" forward, 2 1/2"/6 1/2" upward

[b]CHA Cost: 158[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]POWERS[/u][/b]
40     [b][i]Chant Of Atlas' Might[/i][/b]: Growth (+40 STR, +8 BODY, +8 STUN, -8" KB, 38,400 kg, -4 DCV, +4 PER Rolls to perceive character, 8 m tall, 4 m wide) - END=4
25     [b][i]Fist Of Saint Sebastian[/i][/b]: Multipower, 50-point reserve, all slots OAF (-1) - END=
1u     1)  [b][i]Flinging The Mace[/i][/b]: Energy Blast 10d6; 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), OAF (-1), Lockout (Mace Bash can't be used until focus is retrieved; -1/2), Range Based On STR (-1/4) - END=[1 rc]
2u     2)  [b][i]Mace Bash[/i][/b]: Hand-To-Hand Attack +5d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Does x1 1/2 Knockback (+1/2); OAF (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) - END=0
24     [b][i]Long Legs[/i][/b]: Running +12" (18" total) - END=2
5     [b][i]Night Hunter[/i][/b]: Nightvision - END=0
5     [b][i]Smell The Stench Of Corruption[/i][/b]: Detect Evil Deeds 11- (Smell/Taste Group) - END=0
17     [b][i]Tough Skin[/i][/b]: Damage Resistance (20 PD/14 ED) - END=0

[b]POWERS Cost: 119[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]SKILLS[/u][/b]
25      +5 with HTH Combat

2      AK: France 11-
1      AK: Millennium City 8-
3      Breakfall 13-
3      Climbing 13-
1      KS: Arcane And Occult Lore 8-
2      KS: The Mystic World 11-
0      Language:  French (idiomatic)
4      Language:  English (completely fluent; literate)
3      Paramedics 11-
3      Stealth 13-
2      Survival (Temperate/Subtropical) 11-
3      Tactics 11-
3      Tracking 11-
4      WF:  Common Melee Weapons, Common Missile Weapons

[b]SKILLS Cost: 59[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]TALENTS[/u][/b]
14      Fearless

[b]TALENTS Cost: 14[/b]
[b][u]Value[/u]  [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b]
15     Accidental Change:  shrinks to normal size when subjected to magic spells 14- (Uncommon)
5     Distinctive Features:  Mystically Cursed (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses)
5     Distinctive Features:  Giant (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
10     Enraged:  if insulted through cultural misunderstandings (Uncommon), go 11-, recover 14-
20     Hunted:  the authorities 11- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)
25     Hunted:  The Black Paladin 11- (Mo Pow, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Capture/Kill)
5     Physical Limitation:  Large (4m, or 2"; -2 DCV, +2 to PER Rolls to perceive) (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing)
10     Physical Limitation:  Unfamiliar With Modern Culture (Frequently, Slightly Impairing)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Driven To Punish The Wicked (Common, Strong)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Naive (Very Common, Moderate)
15     Social Limitation:  Public Identity (Frequently, Major)
10     Unluck: 2d6

[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 150[/b]

Base Pts: 200
Exp Required: 0
Total Exp Available: 0
Exp Unspent: 0
Total Character Cost: 350

BACKGROUND

In the Dark Ages, the world was steeped in magic and fable. Many were the creatures who stalked the night, all with their own purpose. Hammerfist's purpose was to bring justice to the guilty and punish the wicked. Hammerfist did the job very well, until the coming of the Black Paladin, Sir Giles de Morphant. A wicked and evil man, he proved too powerful for Hammerfist, defeating the giant and inflicting an awful curse. Hammerfist managed to flee to the hovel of Morgan, witch of the woods. She nursed the giant back to health, and they became friends. After some months, Hammerfist's shame at the ignomious defeat grew to be unbearable. The giant went to the witch to beg for a solution. "Your time for revenge is not yet," she said, "but it will come to pass. Drink this potion, and when you awake you will find many guilty to punish, and perhaps even the Black Paladin will again cross your path." The giant fell into a deep sleep upon consuming the potion, and awoke in the modern era. Being a superhero agrees with Hammerfist, as a means to punish the guilty. And, indeed, the Black Paladin again stalks the land...

POWERS/TACTICS

Hammerfist can grow to enormous size through a magical spell, and wields an enormous spiked ball and chain called Saint Sebastian's Fist.

Re: Hammerfist, the Good Giant

I couldn't help but notice that the Mace Bash combined with Growth would allow for a 17d6 attack. I'm guessing that you went with less than the full +8d6 allowed by the multipower because this seemed like too much.

Here's an alternative to consider:

25 Multipower, 50-point reserve, (50 Active Points); all slots OAF (-1)

1u 1) Energy Blast 10d6 (50 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), Lockout (-1/2), Range Based On Strength (-1/4) - END=[1 rc]

2u 2) Hand-To-Hand Attack +5d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Does x1 1/2 Knockback (+1/2) (50 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)

[Notes: Per 5er Advantaged HA damage adding rules up to 25 STR can be combined and still keep the x1.5KB Advantage for a maximum 10d6 attack. END must still be payed for any extra STR used.] - END=0

It costs an additional 6 points but it actually reduces the overall power of the second slot.

Re: Hammerfist, the Good Giant

Urk! That was a previous version of the character! That's what I get for not synchronizing my files!

I've reposted incorporating your suggestion; I had forgotten the "Advantages on HA modify base STR" rule, which nicely reins in the damage potential. I'd been shooting for a hard cap of 12 CV, and 14 DC (unless an attack is your "Signature Power" in which case I'd allow it as high as 16DC).