How Many "Super-Cities" is too many?

fbdaury

Re: How Many "Super-Cities" is too many?

Tokyo is the closest to that in my campaign world. It's the centre for many tech based heroes and anyway had so many rampaging giant monsters that it has to be rebuilt quite often. It's a future city.

edit aha. I thought something else. My campaign world has been set variouly in Chicago, NY City, London, Edinburgh and a tiny little town by the sea called Stranraer. We played ourselves at school with superpowers. Surprising how much insanity you can stuf into a town of 10, 000 in the middle of nowhere.

Are we talking about Stranraer, Scotland? If so anything ever happen to the ferries?:)

One.

I don't have a single city that has a super under every rock. New York would be the closest, that's got about 2-3 superhero teams at any given time and about 50 independents. I think "Super-cities" detract from the player characters and eat their spotlight. (And this is coming from "There's no such thing as an NPC" lad.)

Super-cities make it impossible to have plot-driven archenemies because the villain has to plan for too many additional opponents. If you live in a city with the mightiest of the mighty, you have to be prepared to face the mightiest of the mighty, or you get your block knocked off.

Guest steamteck

Wow! By that definition none of my cities are super cities. There are only a handful of superteams in the world and most major cities don't have have more than one or two supers. Lasari the capital of finance and technology for the coalition of Cinnabar and the campaign city, has the most with One major superteam and about 10 independent heroes but they have under their protection the whole east coast area of the fictional continent( and the protectors can go anywhere in the world to help) so everyone is rarely there. Meaning sometimes the PCs are the best line of defense.