Duplication and Dispel Questions

dsatow

Question

I have a duplicating character with find weakness and mind link. All duplicates are the exact duplicate of the original.

1) If the original body finds weakness and then duplicates, do all the duplicates also have the weakness?

2) If out of 8 duplicates, 3 find weakness on a villain, the other 5 fail, if the duplicates reform, does the original character have a weakness of the villain? Does the number matter?

3) If the duplicator has absorbtion to duplication and a duplicate is hit and absorbs such that he can duplicate again, who duplicates? The duplicate or the duplicator?

4) If I do a dispel, do I dispel one duplicate or all of them (assuming I have enough dispel to dispel the power)?

5) If someone makes a large image defined as a spell with many component (an army), and another mage uses dispel to dispel that spell (the illusion). I ruled that the dispel affect the entire spell. What I want to confirm is, that you shouldn't need to Area Effect a dispel to stop an area effect power. You should only need an AoE dispel to dispel several powers at one time.

6) Dispel says you need to do an attack on a power to attempt the dispel. If the spell is a AoE (constant or instant), what do you attack against? For an AoE, do you attack against the opponents CV or the Area? For instance, Pykon the pyromancer sets a burning wall of fire to deter pursuers. The wall of fire in a unc. con. EB AoE Line. Do you target the AoE (DCV 3 or 0?) or do you still have to hit Pykon's DCV even though he's no longer there to target?

7) It says that dispel can be used to dispel incoming attack as an attack action but no roll to hit is needed. What about dispelling an attack targeting someone else? What if that attack is an AoE and you are within the Area but are not the target (like an explosion)?

8) Can you spread a ranged dispel for an increase chance to hit?

9) And finally, how much wood can a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? In champions terms of course. :P .oO( Sorry, had to when I saw how many distinct questions I am raising. )

1 answer to this question

Re: Duplication and Dispel Questions

1. No.

2. The original only knows of the weakness if he himself has succeeded with a roll to find it.

3. As specifically stated in the rulebook, “The base character creates all Duplicates; Duplicates do not come from other Duplicates.”

4. See 5ER 155 under “Adjustment Powers.”

5. A Dispel works against a target power regardless of the Advantages on that power; it doesn’t need to “match” the Advantages to affect the target.

6. See 5ER 149-50 under “Constant Powers.”

7. The rules say a character can protect *himself* from incoming attacks. They make no provision for protecting someone else.

8. Per 5ER 380, Spreading works with “Ranged attack.” Is Dispel a Ranged attack? Yes. Therefore, it can be Spread.

9. See the Rules FAQ under "Chucking."