YASMT (Yet Another Star Map Thread): There has to be an easier way...

Kraven Kor

Re: YASMT (Yet Another Star Map Thread): There has to be an easier way...

For locating stars and finding distances between them, the program on this page should do everything you need:

http://members.nova.org/~sol/chview/chvc.htm

It also has multiple names for most of the listed stars, and quite a few other features. I use it for my campaign, and I'll never switch to anything else.

Well, if you are willing to spend a bit of money, Astrosynthesis allows one to put in notes on the various planets, some for the players and some secret GM notes. It also allows one to export an HTML listing of various planets, make a movie of a 3D fly by through the map, create 3D "spheres of influence" for various empires, and other game related stuff. And it includes a travel time calculator between planets within a given solar system.

http://www.nbos.com/products/astro/astro.htm

Well, if you are willing to spend a bit of money, Astrosynthesis allows one to put in notes on the various planets, some for the players and some secret GM notes. It also allows one to export an HTML listing of various planets, make a movie of a 3D fly by through the map, create 3D "spheres of influence" for various empires, and other game related stuff. And it includes a travel time calculator between planets within a given solar system.

http://www.nbos.com/products/astro/astro.htm

Disposable income is in short supply these days (I'm looking for work) but this definitely goes on the wish list! Thanks for the linkage.

(Sorry about the 'double post' earlier -- my first comment disappeared in moderation-land.)

X.O.

Question: Does the full version of that come pre-loaded with more than the 20 LY or the 20x20x20 sector?

For Astrosynthesis?

In their download section

http://www.nbos.com/nox/index.php?action=1000&pcatid=30&pg=2

they have the following free star catalogues:

Hip Cat beyond 10,000 LY

Hip Data 10,000LY

Hip Catalog 5000 LY

Hip Catalog 1000 LY

Hip Catalog 500 Ly

Hip Catalog 0 - 400 LY

Kepner Data Set

As a warning, though: the distances from the Hipparcos catalog ("Hip cat") at 1000-5000 LY are rather shaky, and those beyond 5000 are useful only in that you can be pretty sure that those objects aren't at 1000 LY or closer. :rolleyes:

As a warning' date=' though: the distances from the Hipparcos catalog ("Hip cat") at 1000-5000 LY are rather shaky, and those beyond 5000 are useful only in that you can be pretty sure that those objects aren't at 1000 LY or closer. :rolleyes:[/quote']

I won't need much detail at that level - just a general "Xillik space is -> That way."