Kamen Rider / Masked Rider the First

OddHat

Built for my GenCon Hong Kong Cinematic Superheroes game.

MASKED RIDER THE FIRST (TAKESHI HONGO)

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

50 STR 40 19- Lift 25.6tons; 10d6; [5]

26 DEX 48 14- OCV 9 DCV 9

28 CON 36 15-

20 BODY 20 13-

23 INT 13 14- PER Roll 14-

13 EGO 6 12- ECV: 4

10 PRE 0 11- / 13- PRE Attack: 2d6 / 4d6

14 COM 2 12-

12 PD 2 Total: 24 PD (0/12 rPD)

12 ED 6 Total: 24 ED (0/12 rED)

5 SPD 14 Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12

16 REC 0

56 END 0

59 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 187

Movement: Running: 6" / 12"

Swimming: 2" / 4"

Leaping: 16" / 32"

Cost Powers END

Martial Arts: Karate

Maneuver OCV DCV Notes

4 Block +2 +2 Block, Abort

4 Dodge -- +5 Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort

4 Punch/Snap Kick +0 +2 12d6 Strike

5 Side/Spin Kick -2 +1 14d6 Strike

4 Flying Kick +0 -2 12d6 +v/5 Strike, FMove

11 Hopper Leap: Leaping +6" (16" forward, 8" upward) (Accurate) 1

29 Typhoon Belt Transformation: Armor (12 PD/12 ED) (36 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (Armor, must use belt to activate; -1/4) 0

7 Can leap from tall buildings: Physical Damage Reduction, 50% (20 Active Points); Only versus damage from falls Power loses about two-thirds of its effectiveness (-1 1/2), Requires A Breakfall Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points; -1/4) 0

10 Helmet Visor: Sight Group Flash Defense (10 points) 0

5 Helmet: Hearing Group Flash Defense (5 points) 0

5 Cyborg Senses: Nightvision 0

6 Fine by the Next Scene: Healing 1 BODY, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (20 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 20 Minutes (-2), Self Only (-1/2) 0

8 Cool Costume: +10 PRE (10 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) Note: Takeshi is more impressive and confident in costume

Perks

15 Motorcycle Note: Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300R, but SPD 5. HSVS, p.23

Skills

Shocker Training

3 1) Breakfall 14-

3 2) Acrobatics 14-

3 3) Climbing 14-

3 4) Streetwise 11- (13-)

3 5) Stealth 14-

3 6) Concealment 14-

3 7) Lockpicking 14-

3 8) Security Systems 14-

2 9) KS: Karate 11-

2 10) KS: Superhuman World 11-

Ace Motorcyclist

3 1) Combat Driving 14-

0 2) TF: Two-Wheeled Motorized Ground Vehicles

3 3) Mechanics 14-

Genius Student

3 1) SS: Biochemistry 14-

3 2) SS: Chemistry 14-

3 3) PS: Research 14-

0 Language: Japanese (idiomatic; literate) (5 Active Points)

3 Language: Cantonese (completely fluent)

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 163

Total Cost: 350

200+ Disadvantages

15 Social Limitation: Secret ID: Takeshi Hongo (Frequently, Major)

15 Hunted: Shocker 8- (Mo Pow, Harshly Punish) Note: The evil organization that created the Masked Rider.

5 Dependent NPC: Asuka Midorikawa, Investigative Reporter 8- (Normal; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills)

10 Distinctive Features: Cyborg (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Simple Tests)

20 Psychological Limitation: Defend the Innocent, Protect the Weak (Common, Total) Note: The Masked Rider risks his secret and his life to protect the innocent

10 Psychological Limitation: Shy, Repressed, Self Effacing outside of combat (Common, Moderate)

20 Psychological Limitation: In love with Asuka (Common, Total)

10 Unluck: 2d6

45 Experience Points

Total Disadvantage Points: 350

Background/History: Brilliant university student Takeshi Hongo loved biochemistry, motorcycles, and the beautiful but unobtainable reporter Asuka Midorikawa. Takeshi's old life ended when he was kidnapped by Shocker, an evil organization dedicated to world conquest! Shocker stole Takeshi's memories and transformed him into "Hopper", a superhuman Cyborg Kaijin. Hopper served his masters until ordered to kill Asuka and her fiance, Katsuhiko.

Leaving his Hopper identity behind him and obtaining the amazing Cyclone Super Cycle from old friend Tachibana, Takeshi Hongo became The Masked Rider! Eventually joined in his fight by Katsuhiko (who became the second Masked Rider), Takeshi began a war against Shocker, and against all enemies of justice.

Personality/Motivation: Takeshi Hongo is repressed and self effacing to the point of self sabotage. He lacks the confidence to pursue Asuka, the woman he loves; he refuses to defend himself against accusations of murder, for fear that Asuka will risk death if she pursues the real killers; he fails to explain himself in situation where silence makes his life far more difficult. That said, he does show physical and moral courage, and even moments of selfless heroism.

When wearing the helmet of the Masked Rider, Takeshi becomes more confident, almost fearless, at least when facing physical threats. He defends the innocent not just out of guilt over his crimes as "Hopper", but because he is at his core a good man.

Quote: [silence][gestures for girl to get on his bike]

Powers/Tactics: The Masked Rider is always faster, tougher and stronger than any normal man. Much of this strength is in his legs. He can make incredible leaps, take incredible falls, and kick with enough power to seriously hurt even other cyborgs. Even when not in his Masked Rider identity, he has demonstrated enough strength to stop a small truck moving at roughly 40 mph.

Takeshi assumes his identity as the Masked Rider by activating his Typhoon Belt. This gives him access to advanced body armor, including a helmet. Takeshi is also the owner of the Cyclone, an advanced racing motorcycle that he often uses in combat.

Takeshi is well trained, both from his former life as a student and his time in Shocker. He is a competent thief and investigator, and has considerable skill in Karate. He will often use his risky but powerful Flying Kick as a finishing move in combat.

Campaign Use: This write up is based on the2005 film Masked Rider the First, which re-launched the Kamen Rider series. The Takeshi Hongo in the new series is not quite the same as the Takeshi Hongo in the old, and displays somewhat different powers, skills, and motivations. The write up is balanced for a convention game, and may need to be adjusted for other campaigns.

While not one of Japan's first costumed superheroes, Kamen Rider is one of Japans most iconic, with a TV and movie history going back to 1971.

Appearance: In civilian clothes, a handsome young Japanese man in his early 20s. As Kamen Rider, an odd figure in green, black, red blue and silver armor with a grasshopper theme.

Character by Shotaro Ishinomori. Character sheet by Robert Dorf, 2009.

Re: Kamen Rider / Masked Rider the First

Holy Cow. 50STR really? I know he's strong. Punch concret strong, but I'd put him at a 30 at most.

You left out the signature attacks. Rider Punch/Rider Kick. These are high END super moves typical for a Toku style character. I guess the Flying Kick counts as the Rider Kick...but I would have put those 20 STR points into the two special attacks to get up to the really high damage output you have there. *shrugs*

Holy Cow. 50STR really? I know he's strong. Punch concret strong, but I'd put him at a 30 at most.

You left out the signature attacks. Rider Punch/Rider Kick. These are high END super moves typical for a Toku style character. I guess the Flying Kick counts as the Rider Kick...but I would have put those 20 STR points into the two special attacks to get up to the really high damage output you have there. *shrugs*

The problem was that in Masked Rider the First (the source I used), we saw him stop an oncoming truck with one hand without budging, leaving a dent in the shape of his hand in the grill. Maybe he was pushing, but by the book he needed a 50 STR to pull that off. I agree that it's the most obvious display of his Super Strength in the picture, and that his strength in the picture seems higher than in the TV show.

Flying Kick should be Rider Punch / Rider Kick. Changing now. Thanks for the feedback.

I agree that it's the most obvious display of his Super Strength in the picture, and that his strength in the picture seems higher than in the TV show.

Flying Kick should be Rider Punch / Rider Kick. Changing now. Thanks for the feedback.

That's the problem with movies. You know, you might put it as a short term booster tied to the attack. 20 points of very expensive to maintain (ie stress on his cyborg parts) STR.

Not a problem. The original Rider just had punch and kick. Black, the next most iconic had a sword. Almost everything else about your build is dead on the money.