So many questions...

RogueNin9

Hello everyone! I am new to the forums AND new to the HERO system. I currently DM a D&D 4e group, and am looking to create a Champion game.

I found a cheap copy of the Hero 5th edition, and am really waiting for 6th to make the leap, but I have some questions that I can't seem to figure out myself.

I am wanting to build a robot that pops out of the chest of a Power-suited character. The 'bot will have Healing (5d6) No Range, Usable By Others, Usable as attack, No Endurance, 10 Charges, and does not work on Mental damage.

As well as Elemental Blast 4d6 AOE (Radius), Trigger (Radio Control, Or if Body reduced to 1), 1 charge, No range.

I think I've calculated those correctly, however I am wondering a few things about the automaton itself. First, since its a small, maybe cat-sized robot, can I sell off its base 10 STR to help pay for the abilities w/ no ill effects? It has no function in combat except to heal, and if it is too damaged to stun nearby enemies.

Second, if I want it to multiple arms (to represent the different tools it has, not for just the healing but for skills as well, like lockpicking, computer use, electronics, mimicry (for voice locks), concealment and stealth) do I need to buy them as extra arms?

Third, is it better/cheaper to build the automaton as is, or to reduce the INT to 0 and build a complementary Computer to be its brain?

Finally, could the limitation Focus (or Independent) apply at all, either to the Healing/EB or the Summon ability?

Re: So many questions...

Wow...

Hello everyone! I am new to the forums AND new to the HERO system. I currently DM a D&D 4e group' date=' and am looking to create a Champion game.[/quote']

Welcome!

I am wanting to build a robot that pops out of the chest of a Power-suited character. The 'bot will have Healing (5d6) No Range, Usable By Others, Usable as attack, No Endurance, 10 Charges, and does not work on Mental damage.

As well as Elemental Blast 4d6 AOE (Radius), Trigger (Radio Control, Or if Body reduced to 1), 1 charge, No range.

A few things sound off here. Given the complexity of this, you may want to describe what you want in layman's terms, and we can suggest a build. Offhand:

- Healing has no range by default, so you don't take the lim

- I highly doubt you want the usable by others/usable as attack - the robot does the healing, right?

- charges already does away with endurance costs, so you don't need that advantage

- it's "Energy Blast" :)

- I would consider doing this as just an Obvious Accessible Focus rather than a Summon (as it seems you did), and I might insist as a GM

I think I've calculated those correctly' date=' however I am wondering a few things about the automaton itself. First, since its a small, maybe cat-sized robot, can I sell off its base 10 STR to help pay for the abilities w/ no ill effects? It has no function in combat except to heal, and if it is too damaged to stun nearby enemies.[/quote']

Yes.

Second' date=' if I want it to multiple arms (to represent the different tools it has, not for just the healing but for skills as well, like lockpicking, computer use, electronics, mimicry (for voice locks), concealment and stealth) do I need to buy them as extra arms?[/quote']

Extra limbs - yes.

Third' date=' is it better/cheaper to build the automaton as is, or to reduce the INT to 0 and build a complementary Computer to be its brain?[/quote']

I'll pass on this one, partially b/c I think you may need to explain the question more, and partially b/c I don't know these rules well off the top of my head.

Finally' date=' could the limitation Focus (or Independent) apply at all, either to the Healing/EB or the Summon ability?[/quote']

Sure. Automatons can have foci, and a summons can require a focus.

I recommend a purchase of Hero Designer. It's a VERY cool Java app that makes character building MUCH easier. It also makes build legal characters easier as it knows what limits/advantages can and can not be placed on certain powers.

Also the 5th edition version will upgrade to the 6th edition version for free.

Tasha

I recommend a purchase of Hero Designer. It's a VERY cool Java app that makes character building MUCH easier. It also makes build legal characters easier as it knows what limits/advantages can and can not be placed on certain powers.

Also the 5th edition version will upgrade to the 6th edition version for free.

Tasha

Seconded - enormously valuable to a new player.

I will look into it. It definitely seems like it'll get rid of a lot of headaches.

In the most basic terms, the 'bot can be detached at the user's command, then either heals the physical damage of adjacent players (during combat), or picks locks (manual, computerized, voice print, etc.) when needed out of combat. If someone tries to destroy it, it blows up, stunning them (that could get expensive I realize, maybe a Flash instead).

The extra limbs would mostly be cosmetic so are probably unnecessary.

From what you described, I think you have it, with the notes that I offered before.

A little more explanation on the usable by others/as attack. That advantage actually gives the power to the target - e.g., in this case, the bot would turn someone into a healer.

The foci. The fact that its an automaton does not say anything about whether the summons power should have a focus. A focus on the summons means that the summoner needs that focus to summon the summoned. Re foci on the bot's powers, that's just a question of how you want to build them, in the same way you had those questions with the base character. You certainly don't have to have focus on the bot's powers.

I think I've calculated those correctly, however I am wondering a few things about the automaton itself. First, since its a small, maybe cat-sized robot, can I sell off its base 10 STR to help pay for the abilities w/ no ill effects? It has no function in combat except to heal, and if it is too damaged to stun nearby enemies.

Second, if I want it to multiple arms (to represent the different tools it has, not for just the healing but for skills as well, like lockpicking, computer use, electronics, mimicry (for voice locks), concealment and stealth) do I need to buy them as extra arms?

Third, is it better/cheaper to build the automaton as is, or to reduce the INT to 0 and build a complementary Computer to be its brain?

Finally, could the limitation Focus (or Independent) apply at all, either to the Healing/EB or the Summon ability?

Well you can buy that a couple of ways.

One is to purchase it as a "Follower" give it all of the powers. It then becomes a character in it's own sense and while I will follow orders, it may not always do what you want. This would be best for a mini-bot that is one of a kind and always follows the character around.

You could also purchase it as a Summons. It has all of the limits of a Follower but it won't always be around (ie you have to activate the summon ability) This would be best for a pool of bots that you can activate when you want the powers to be active.

For both of the above instances you don't have to spend time directing the bot's ability. They are considered AI's and will act like on their own according to your orders, or in such a way that it fulfills their programing (ie their Psyc limits).

The Third way you could purchase those powers is as a Multipower. Said MP has Focus Robot, and the charges for all of the powers. With this build, the powers are directed by you and use a part of your action to activate. The robot becomes a nonAI, and is more special effect for the powers activating.

Perhaps buying it a bit like this:

Cost Power

25 MiniRobot Powers: Multipower, 50-point reserve, (50 Active Points); OAF (Robotic Assistant; -1)

5u 1) HealBot: Healing BODY 5d6 (50 Active Points)

3u 2) Robotic Helper: +4 with all non-combat Skills (32 Active Points); Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4)

3u 3) Slinking around (Scout Mode): Clairsentience (Sight Group And Normal Hearing), Mobile Perception Point (can move up to 12" per Phase) (35 Active Points); Physical Manifestation (-1/4)

1u 4) Suicide Zap: Energy Blast 3d6 (vs. ED), Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset, Two activation conditions apply simultaneously; If Robot is Grabbed by enemy, or if Missle Deflected; +1/4), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), No Normal Defense (Being Grounded, more than 14pts of forcefield.; +1) (41 Active Points); 1 Charge (Recovers Under Limited Circumstances- Must be recharged or Repaired; -2), Lockout (Once used, other MP abilities Locked out.; -1/2)

Powers Cost: 37

The big difference with Multipower (or any build that makes the healing' date=' whatever, direct powers of the character) is that the character has to use his actions to heal or whatever.[/quote']

It also depends on whether the GM wants an independent mini character running around healing folk. Having a follower or a Summoned creature could really unbalance an encounter, giving the PC(s) a ton of extra stun/body (ie 180 stun on average over the course of 10 robot phases)

The MP was just another way to build the bot. I wanted to show a way to do the power(s) that might not have been apparent to a new player. I find that new players are sometimes too literal in their choice of how to build an ability sometimes. (ie building a vehicle to represent a scout drone, when just purchasing Clairvoyance with "Physical Manifestation" gets the same job done without the extra work a vehicle adds to the build.

Tasha

It also depends on whether the GM wants an independent mini character running around healing folk. Having a follower or a Summoned creature could really unbalance an encounter, giving the PC(s) a ton of extra stun/body (ie 180 stun on average over the course of 10 robot phases)

The MP was just another way to build the bot. I wanted to show a way to do the power(s) that might not have been apparent to a new player. I find that new players are sometimes too literal in their choice of how to build an ability sometimes. (ie building a vehicle to represent a scout drone, when just purchasing Clairvoyance with "Physical Manifestation" gets the same job done without the extra work a vehicle adds to the build.

Tasha

Oh, yeah - I wasn't being critical of doing it w/o the summons. In fact, I'd be very skeptical about this summons as a GM.

Oh' date=' yeah - I wasn't being critical of doing it w/o the summons. In fact, I'd be very skeptical about this summons as a GM.[/quote']

Yeah, I would be skeptical of any build that created an independent Healbot.

So agreed, also sorry if I seemed to jump down your throat. Probably took that innocent post in a negative way for some reason

Tasha

Wow! Thanks for all the info!

I'm sure if I explained the original idea of the 'bot your heads would probably explode*.

I think though, I'm going to tone the character down, since the rest of the group has decided on a cross of Pulp and Golden Age style settings. I am *really* interested in the creation process, coming up with ideas and turning them into powers. The group already has a Mentalist/Gun wielder (ala The Shadow), and a fear-inducing Gadgeteer named The Wraith (TOTALLY The Batman). I think I want to adapt the story of Dorian Grey into a hero-character.

*Okay, I can't leave it at that. The "bot" would actually be the hero's hand (a robotic replacement), when attached it would give him a STR-enhanced HTH attack. When it was detached (which may also could be an attack, maybe a Flash as in it can shoot off onto a bad guy's face?) he would lose that power, but gain a energy blast (a laser cannon hidden in his arm).

I was going to suggest both Follower and Summon... That is probably how I would do it. Another suggestion you may wish to consider is simply buy healing add the ranged advantage to it and call the mini-bot a physical manefestation of the power.

Everything in the hero system can be built in 20 different ways, and none of them are wrong or right. The various builds are all in personal preference and what the GM will allow.

I'd go with the Summon option. I'd also define it as a class of summoned beings "robots" instead of a specific being "that particular robot." Then I'd drop on limitations like: "robot must be pre-selected from extant robots at lab/base" and "new robots can only be created between adventures." This allows you to have various write-ups for different mission-tasked robots.

True, there do seem to be many many ways to do any given thing.

I think I'll definitely have to rethink this guy, maybe as a mad scientist type with a multipurpose "ray gun" VPP or MP. That would simplify the healing and take away the OP'ing of a mobile healing unit...

Remember, don't be afraid to build it the way you want to. Experiment. Then post your build here. You'll get differing opinions and just use what you like. The beauty of HERO is it has some wiggle room for build logic. If the GM is okay with the build, your golden. If not, ask around, there are loads of ways to do what you want.