Stats Discussion

digimod

Anyone have a good feel for the impact of the different stats in the games?

It's easy to figure out why I should build Constitution, Endurance and Recovery.

Why should I worry about building up my Presence?

How much benefit do I have building my intelligence over the more important stats (at least how I perceive them to be important.)

etc.

I just can't find an explanation of any of these.

Re: Stats Discussion

If you read the Super Stat descriptions, they should give you a general idea of what the stat does:

Super DEX: Improves a hero's critical hit chance and effectiveness of stealth granting powers.

Super CON: Improves a hero's hit points.

Super INT: Reduces Energy costs and Cooldown times and improves Pet Damage and Stealth Detection.

Super EGO: Increases Critical Severity and the ability to break free from intangible holds.

Super PRE: Increases Threat in Defensive Role, reduces it in Offensive and Support Role, increases Pet Health and improves Healing and Buffing effects.

Super REC: Increases Energy Equilibrium and Energy gained from Energy Building attacks.

Super END: Increases Maximum Energy and Energy gained from Energy Building attacks.

I can confirm none of the following so take it all with a grain of salt, but from what I read on the Cryptic boards:

Most folks seem to agree that the Energy reducing effect of INT is pretty negligible and you're better off upping your REC.

Whatever you choose as your Innate stat package (Heavy Hitter, Untouchable, etc) will determine your characters "Primary Stats". As these go up, you'll get bonuses on the damage, duration, etc on all your powers. For example, if you take Superhuman (start at 12 CON & 12 STR) then increasing your STR and CON will always provide those bonuses with all your powers. The same would happen if you picked Incandescent but for PRE & REC. This is in addition to the stat's normal effects. I have no idea how this idea interacts with those Innates that focus on more than 2 stats.

Many folks on the Cryptic boards are of the opinion that the suggested Framework/Innate pairings aren't always the most advantageous. For example, Power Armor suggests "Mechanized" (STR & INT) but most seem to feel that the high Energy cost of Power Armor's powers are better paired with an Innate that has REC as a primary stat due to the Energy saving nature of INT being rather minimal. I can confirm that a high INT seems almost useless when it came to how often I could use my PA character's powers. At one point, I picked up Chest Beam and even with a maxxed bar, I didn't have the energy to fire it in spite of an INT score in the mid 70s.

So your saying that if I have a Force Power build that high end and ego will improve my force power attacks?

Super EGO: Increases Critical Severity and the ability to break free from intangible holds.

Super END: Increases Maximum Energy and Energy gained from Energy Building attacks.

That really does not make sense to me based on the stat descriptions. I can see how high endurance will help a build with energy attacks but other than that I don't see how they help. I would think improving REC over EGO would benefit me more.

So your saying that if I have a Force Power build that high end and ego will improve my force power attacks?

That really does not make sense to me based on the stat descriptions. I can see how high endurance will help a build with energy attacks but other than that I don't see how they help. I would think improving REC over EGO would benefit me more.

If you're referring to this:

Whatever you choose as your Innate stat package (Heavy Hitter, Untouchable, etc) will determine your characters "Primary Stats". As these go up, you'll get bonuses on the damage, duration, etc on all your powers. For example, if you take Superhuman (start at 12 CON & 12 STR) then increasing your STR and CON will always provide those bonuses with all your powers. The same would happen if you picked Incandescent but for PRE & REC. This is in addition to the stat's normal effects. I have no idea how this idea interacts with those Innates that focus on more than 2 stats.

keep in mind 2 things:

First, the bonus to your Powers (all your Powers) is supposed to be above and beyond the abilities inherent in the stat.

Second, as I said, these are just things I've gotten reading the Cryptic Forums and I can't verify any of them. That's why I suggested salt when digesting these ideas.

There's actually a couple very detailed threads on the CO forums about some of this stuff from folks that have been playing the game considerably longer than me:

http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=30182

http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=13693

I'm pretty sure the initial stat picks and talents you pick up for stat bumps only affect the amount of the stats. The stats you choose as your super stats always increase your damage. Higher superstats = more damage. It doesn't matter which stats you choose as superstats as far as the damage bonus. Usually you'll want to push your superstats higher to increase damage bonus which means whatever bonus is on the base stat also gets pushed up - so if you choose dex it will boost damage and it will boost your chance to get critical hits. Stats do pretty much what they say they do.

There are several posts on the Q & A board about which powers are directly linked to specific stats that is pretty useful - Stat guide

and - list of powers that scale with specific stats

and this one Player guide to characteristic focuses

Well, I finally figured out that increasing REC has a direct effect (roughly 1:1) on your Equilibrium, and increasing END has a direct effect on your maximum energy. I was beginning to regret not selecting either as a Superstat, but now that I can make custom equipment I have my Equilibrium at 70+, which is enough to use Mini Mines without having to be in combat using my energy builder power.

In short, the game changes in the 20's, when you can pretty much pick and choose the stat bonuses on your items. Item bonuses can really compensate for your weaker stats.

Greetings

I think that Netzilla left out Strength. It of couse let's you pick up bigger objects to throw, adds some damage (although I've heard that it isn't very much), but also increases ability to break tangible holds and adds knockback.

This last attribute is the main reason I shy away from taking too much strength. While throwing things at people is one of my main tactics, and it is nice to be able to break holds, Knockback seems like it defeats the purpose of combat anyway. While it may look cool, and give you that Uber feeling, then you have to go track the enemy down and finish them off. Not to mention it runs the risk of aggro'ing another mob.

For my money Constitution or Endurance are the main stats for any build. Then Recovery or Dexterity. After that, take what you need. The others you can balance with items and other boosts.

Greetings

I think that Netzilla left out Strength.

Huh, so I did.

It of couse let's you pick up bigger objects to throw, adds some damage (although I've heard that it isn't very much), but also increases ability to break tangible holds and adds knockback.

This last attribute is the main reason I shy away from taking too much strength. While throwing things at people is one of my main tactics, and it is nice to be able to break holds, Knockback seems like it defeats the purpose of combat anyway. While it may look cool, and give you that Uber feeling, then you have to go track the enemy down and finish them off. Not to mention it runs the risk of aggro'ing another mob.

I use knockback when getting dogpiled. I'll quickly shift my targeting and knock away a bunch of enemies then go back to pummeling whoever I was trying to bring down in the first place. It helps to be able to knock them far enough away that they don't just run up to you while your recovering from the KB-generating maneuver.