Ground Gliding in 6th

EverKnight

Re: Ground Gliding in 6th

You mean like Trackless Step?

Since Gliding is now Limited Flight, you should be able to take Flight, Gliding (-1), Only In Contact With A Surface (-1/4)

Though whether thats even valid is questionable, as what Gliding has to do with moving on a surface is unclear. Maybe you can only go down hills to pick up velocity ;)

There are interesting differences between an invisibility build and a flight build. I would probably rule that a flight build leaves no tracks because you are not (quite) touching the surface. That would mean no tracks but also no pressure - so you would not set off quite a few traps based on pressure - like pit traps - and you could walk on any surface, including water.

However it does not make you untrackable: if you are moving through undergrowth you don't touch the ground but you still break twigs and push over grass as you pass - a skilled tracker - certainly one aware that this version of Trackless Step exists - could still follow you through the right terrain.

IPE on running is different: you would take invisibility to touch (presumably), or to tracking (not technically a sense but I would certainly allow it). Although you still apply pressure you do not leave traces - so no footprints but also no broken twigs and grass (I'd rule that only applies to 'damage' caused by your normal movement and not to damage caused by move attacks).

Also flight costs more than IPE on running and you get increased KB.

....that is not canon, it is just how I'd rule it. It would be interesting to have both versions: maybe a ranger type takes IPE running and a wizard takes 'ground flight'.

It's for a ninja type superhero and actually goes into a fixed slot in a 10pt multipower so the cost is going to be 1 whatever. The speed of movement will change depending on how it is built though.

Having looked closer at 6th Edition Flight I see that there is comment under Invisible Power Effects that 'If a character has Flight Only In Contact With A Surface ... Invisible Power Effects can be bought at the +1/4 level so that he doesn't leave tracks, set off seismic alarms, or the like.' As this matches the effect of Ground Gliding from 5th Edition I guess that this is the way to build it. The only other thing though is that Only In Contact With A Surface allows movement across water and up walls while a Pass Without Trace power should only occur on ground that someone can walk on. Therefore I have decided to go with

Flight, IPE - no tracks (+1/4), only in contact with level ground (-1)