Help Creating Character

Phraze

I'm working on converting a character I had used in 3rd Edition. He is similar to DC's Creeper (as originally written). He has a device implanted that allows him to change his clothes instantly. He is also a gadgeteer and can use this to allow him access to a new set of gadgets. So far, this is pretty easy to simulate in a couple of ways. The tricky part is that, as a thief, he also uses this ability to make things disappear . So, for instance, he might steal a bag of money, or a secret device, or a magical artifact, then transform to his other mode, and whatever he was carrying is gone. I had previously represented it as a VPP Gadget Pool, with the limitation that he could only access half the points at a time; if he wanted to make anything disappear, he had to have enough unspent points in the pool to cover it. What's the best way to handle it now?

Well, since the Instant Change Power for altering a character's wardrobe is now a subset of Transform (see p. 152 of the 5E rulebook), I would suggest increasing the level and dice of Transform to work on whatever the character is carrying at the time. I'd go with Minor Transform since the character isn't changing what he's carrying into anything as remotely useful as its original form. For a limiting factor on what he can carry on him you might make the Transform All or Nothing, add up the Body of all the items he's carrying, and leave behind whatever he can't roll enough to Transform. Standard Effect would probably be good to apply to the Transform as well.

If the character normally uses useful gadgets in his heroic identity that he doesn't have access to when he changes to his civvies, I'd definitely keep that as a VPP with an "Only in Heroic ID" Lim on the Control Cost.

Thanks for the input. Still trying to get used to some of the additions from 3rd ed (just picked up FREd a couple of weeks ago). Since I wanted to have the flexibility of having gadgets in either guise, I went with a VPP without the OIHID lim. Instead, I've added the advantages no Skill Roll to change and change as a half-phase action (so that I can flip the VPP at the same time I Transform my clothes and any objects I'm holding) and the limitation "Only change to preset alternate list or in lab" (-1/2). I also took two Transforms, 1 Major 4d6 Transform for things I grab (limitation "Only objects I'm holding" (-1/2, same as 0 Range)), and a 2d6 Cosmetic Transform for my clothes (linked to the major one. It all adds up to a pretty expensive package, but it's his only real "power", and he's an NPC, so points are not an object :)

The idea is that he can either commit a robbery in costume and dash out of sight, then instant change to a disguise (with loot Transformed into air). Or, if he knows he's going into a combat-heavy situation (rarely), he can dress in identical outfits with a double load of weapons (what a surprise for our heroes when his gun switches from empty to fully-loaded again).

Transform appears to be the cleanest way. You could buy invisibility, one hex radius, only to small objects on his person, or the ever popular xtra dimensional teleport- useable as attack-no range-only for small objects in hand-OIF to represent a hidden pocket/pocket dimension/bag of holding type thing. Maybe just scads of that skill CONCEALMENT {skill as power} with appropiate limitations to represent hidden pockets/xtra dimensional storage as well