Journey of the Cut Purse

Savinien

I ran the first session of a new campaign in my Adventure in Aerth setting. This was a ftf game and was a ton of fun. I wasn't sure how many players would show, but I was sure it would be either two or three so I made four characters. The premise of the campaign currently is following the adventures of a Pirate/Privateer Captain Jeralld Risky.

The four possible player characters are lessor members of the crew, able seamen if you will:

Graff - Half Utan/half Wudatan. A gentle giant and borne to the Cutpurse. Lacking the heart for axework, much to the ire of Captain Risky, Graff has no interest in fighting nor axework. His natural inclination seems closer to linguist and assisting Dame Lyssa Olsen in the chirgeoning aboard ship.

Zahm the Glib - A relatively new member of the crew, Zahm is a swashbuckler. He left his last position with Captain Durham as he and his men proved too bloodthirsty and Zahm would prefer talking wives from their husbands as opposed to murder and rape.

Druballah - A Maruudian Hunter pressed into the Crew while landbound in Westlake. For the past few years, his position on the Cutpurse very well may have been against his will. But, a recent sea battle and a loss of half the crew required his freedom and assistance.

Rahb Gunner - A relatively famous gunsmith from Ossenhaven. Captain Risky pressed him into work also. Forcing the artisan to work off his debt from being 'rescued' from a raid on a Southlake vessel.

The two players chose Zahm and Druballah and saw the Cutpurse limping into Ravensdurn Bay for repairs. Captain Risky and the majority of the crew went landside for supplies after darkness ended the repairs. Zahm was given the helm and a special word to keep an eye on the Maruudian. The two and Graff took up a conversation forcastle concerning the strange new 'star' in the night sky and what it might portent.

They were interrupted by a night inspection of the cargo by the Harbormaster, but quickly sniffed out a boarding by another Privateer, Mrakus Durham. During the ensuing fight across the deck Zahm was struck down. Assitance from the pilot, Pappy and Rahb Gunner the pirates were killed or run off.

This was a 6th Edition game and felt seamless to the players. I built the characters and mechanics haven't changed enough for either of them to notice.