Limitation for only to spread

Bartman

"Any Area" can create some pretty wonky shapes. Spreading is noted as adjacent and generally in a straight line. An Area effect - Line would be more appropriate, but even the base advantage would get 2 hexes per 5 AP, so considerably bigger than spreading.

The roll to hit a hex is pretty much a given for most characters. It's like "Activate 17-" for a 9 OCV (worse, of course, if you're firing further away).

Given a major advantage of Area Effect is avoiding the roll to hit vs DCV, one might also argue that "nonselective" is undervalued. It seems to be -1/4 solely because otherwise I could get a free area effect - 1 hex, but why would you buy 1 hex selective or nonselective?

I think the spread EB would hit multiple targets in the same hex.

If you can't justify a limitation to "only to spread", would you give a -2 for "cannot spread"? There should be some balance here, don't you think?

I haven't done a lot of analysis on this, obviously, but if I were concluding nonselective area is more costly than buying extra dice with no (or even a very minor) limitation for "can't spread", I would havce to conclude that nonselective area is overpriced, not that EB only to spread is not limited.

By the way, I see a lot of posters concluding spreading is extremely powerful and useful. How often do you see your energy blasters using it?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I am currently having a hard time justifying any value to the Only to Spread Limitation. Can anyone argue against this? It is being a real headache for me."

Sure...

thats easy...

you seem to be looking at as as "you are adding the AOE thing... "

for 5 pts per die, those "additional Eb dice can be already used for whatever level of +200 modifiers you want to place on "able to spread." So if you run thru your numbers and come up with "wow spreading is like +99 advantages and zero end all rolled into one", thats GREAT. but you have to realize the 5 pts already paid for the full dice have paid for all that. That cost is already done and over.

The question is "how much value was removed?"

We are leaving the spread intact.

We are removing the able to do damage.

How much of a reduction is not being able to do damage with dice of EB?

I am still in the range of -1 to -1.5.

using strictly nook lims of -3/4 for no stun and -1/4 for no knockback, you get -1. if you add -1/4 for reduced penetration (sort of mimicing the "does no body") you are now up to -1.25.

I really see this as much more than "not worth any lim at all."

YMMV.

I said it before...

The Limitation "Only to Spread" to justify more dice for a cheaper rate smells of munster to me.

I understand that it can be done... the real question is should it be allowed ? My reasoning is this: Losing damage dice is the penalty for spreading an attack in the first place. So why should one get a limitation on extra dice which will be used just to negate the penalty ? Cheese, my friends. I wouldn't allow it in my game.

I think the only legal solution is for the PC to have more damage dice to start with, so when he spreads the dice he'll do the amount of damage he wants to do at that point. Will this cost more? Yes, but he can always take other limitations to make the power cheaper.

Re: I said it before...

Originally posted by Magmarock

The Limitation "Only to Spread" to justify more dice for a cheaper rate smells of munster to me.

I understand that it can be done... the real question is should it be allowed ? My reasoning is this: Losing damage dice is the penalty for spreading an attack in the first place. So why should one get a limitation on extra dice which will be used just to negate the penalty ? Cheese, my friends. I wouldn't allow it in my game.

I think the only legal solution is for the PC to have more damage dice to start with, so when he spreads the dice he'll do the amount of damage he wants to do at that point. Will this cost more? Yes, but he can always take other limitations to make the power cheaper.

You are confusing two things. What a power can do and what the player intends to do with the power. If you can't get a limitation on a power for what you are intentionally not using it in certain ways then virtually every limitation such as not against metal, etc. is invalid. It's not a matter of "since the character will never do anything but spread with those dice the cha shouldn't get a limitation on those dice" anymore than "since the player will never try to get in an intense magnetic field they shouldn't get a limitation on x power." You are confusing choices a player makes and limits the player puts on the character sheet.

With mind control, i can use any given command. With mind control fear only, i can use it to make people afraid. of course, i can only use fear command when i am not using another command... i cannot command "you are afraid run away and you want to donate to charity and you want to drop your pants and you want to tell us about the bad guys plans and you find you like david arquette films..." as one command.

So... just like spread only... you have LIMITED your options to only being able to chose from one set of options.

The limit is based on how many choices you have... not whether you can do all of them at once.

Sure, you cannot spread and do damage with the same die at once.

Just like i cannot use fear commands and greed commands and lust commands and such all at once with the same command either.

But hey, each game is different. if you dont think spread only is any limitation, thats cool for your games. If you think it is a not worth anything, and that you are just as good with it as without it, my suggestion would be a test. Build your next three characters that you intend to play with the FREE NOT WORTH ENOUGH OF A PROBLEM TO BE WORTH POINTS spread only on their top 3d6 of eb. See how well this plays out and if you indeed find 9d6 +3 spread as useful as awe inspiring as devastating as 12d6 eb. My experience tells me it wont be, but YMMV.

With that in mind, why should we allow DEX, limited to "only incrrease CV for a specific attack" to be purchased at a -3.5 limitation? +1 OCV with EB costs 2 points - that's a 3.5 limitation on the 9 DEX the character would otherwise be required to purchase.

Even more direct, the whole purpose of penalty levels is "only to negate penalties" - why should these be cheaper than buying regular levels when their only purpose is to negate the penalty?

Now, let's look at the specific construct - why should the player limit the dice at all in your model? If it's 5 point "only to spread" and 5 points "spread or do damage", the more versatile choice will clearly be selected ever time. You won't have players take "Area Effect Nonselective, +3/4" - they'll just buy 75% more dice!

Spread Areas

On a tiny bit of an aside, I wonder if you could gain anything if you spread an Energy Blast which is Area of Effect. Maybe increasing your OCV to hit the target hex (not very useful except for long range)? Maybe extending the Area of Effect one hex in a chosen direction? An interesting thought, perhaps worth some contemplation. :)

Ooh! Maybe spreading an Area of Effect could increase the difficulty of a Dive for Cover to avoid it.

Hoo boy! A can o' worms!

I think you guys misunderstood me.

I don't have a problem with someone buying an attack with "Only to spread" Limitation on the entire dice amount of the attack (Say,for instance, a MP slot as an alternate attack choice).

I said it was cheesy to buy that limitation only for EXTRA damage dice to negate the normal penalty of spreading.

Its like this, would you allow someone to buy extra combat levels to OCV with the Lim "Only to negate my sucky-ass chances of hitting anything that ain't moving"? No, I don't think so... LOL

Penalties are there for a reason. If you don't like them, you might as well lose them all as a house rule. Sheesh, you guys. :)

Re: Hoo boy! A can o' worms!

I think you guys misunderstood me.

No, I don't think so.

I don't have a problem with someone buying an attack with "Only to spread" Limitation on the entire dice amount of the attack (Say,for instance, a MP slot as an alternate attack choice).

Maybe I'm missing the boat entirely here, but what earthly use is an attack whose dice can ALL be used only to spread? A flashy image?

I said it was cheesy to buy that limitation only for EXTRA damage dice to negate the normal penalty of spreading.

Is it cheesy to buy range levels to negate the penalty for firing at range? How about penalty skill levels to reduce/negate the penalty for targetting specific hit locations? Are these cheezy? :confused:

Its like this, would you allow someone to buy extra combat levels to OCV with the Lim "Only to negate my sucky-ass chances of hitting anything that ain't moving"? No, I don't think so... LOL

Um...that is basically what OCV levels are. They cost 2 points each if for one specific attack, 3 for tight groups, or 5 points for all combat (since 8 points gets OCV or DCV for all combat and 5 points gets DCV).

This leads me to conclude the player is getting slightly hosed. I woul give a 1.5 limitation for "Only to spread for extra OCV (2 points per die), but now he's paying END for 2 point combat skill levels. Maybe it should be -2!

Anyway, this just reinforces my belief that -1 is pretty fair for "only to spread". You can also use it for multiple targets; suck up the END!

Penalties are there for a reason. If you don't like them, you might as well lose them all as a house rule. Sheesh, you guys. :)

Spreading is also available for a reason. Penalty skill levels are there explicitly to counteract penalties. COmbat levels are there to counteract the "penalty" of not having characteristics that make you better in combat. Shall we throw those out as well? :eek:

Re: Re: Hoo boy! A can o' worms!

Originally posted by Hugh Neilson

This leads me to conclude the player is getting slightly hosed. I woul give a 1.5 limitation for "Only to spread for extra OCV (2 points per die), but now he's paying END for 2 point combat skill levels. Maybe it should be -2!

I think your arguements make sense, Hugh, except this one. Spreading an Energy Blast can be used for more than getting a +1 OCV for each -1 DC. You can also hit extra targets: 1 additional hex per -1 DC. You may have to pay End, but you also effectively have the option of making your attack a limited Area of Effect. I definitely don't think it should cost less than a 2 point Combat Skill Level.

Re: Re: Re: Hoo boy! A can o' worms!

Originally posted by prestidigitator

I think your arguements make sense, Hugh, except this one. Spreading an Energy Blast can be used for more than getting a +1 OCV for each -1 DC. You can also hit extra targets: 1 additional hex per -1 DC. You may have to pay End, but you also effectively have the option of making your attack a limited Area of Effect. I definitely don't think it should cost less than a 2 point Combat Skill Level.

If you re-read my comment, you'll note I said "only to spread for bonus OCV", so the character would also sacrifice the ability to strike multiple hexes. I'd be inclined to give a -1 for "only to spread", and I agree it's worth more than +1 OCV, even costing END.

My comparison was a bit facetious, since there would be no reason to buy spreading, only for OCV, given 2 point levels already exist.

Re: ...

Hello Hugh,

All of the examples you gave are for a seperate cost that is added to a power or bought seperately... NONE of which are the same thing as taking a Lim that isn't a limitation.

You are only trying to cloud the issue.

Mags

The way I see it, your focus on the mechanic, rather than the effect, is what clouds the issue.

As to your belief this is not a limitation?

We have two characters. One, Blaster, has a 15d6 EB. Normally, he uses 3d6 to spread and boost OCV, or fill three hexes.

A second character, Zapper, has 15d6, but 3d6 may ONLY be used to spread to fill a hex/gain bonus OCV.

They are both battling Gobbler the 60' Turkey Monster. Gobbler has defenses of 45, and a DCV of -6 (due to is huge size).

Blaster can fire off 15d6 Energy Blasts. He has no need for extra OCV, or filling hexes, to battle Gobbler. He can, however, benefit from an average damage roll of 52.5, so his shots at least inflict a bit of STUN to Gobbler, on average without pushing.

Zapper, on the other hand, is screwed. His extra 3d6 do nothing - he already hits on a 17 or less, so OCV is useless. Gobbler is a single opponent, so filling hexes doesn't help him. Plus, even if he gets a couple of good rolls, his average blast does nothing, so Gobbler just recovers the STUN on PS 12.

Just to clarify this:

Blaster's 3d6 can do things Zapper's 3d6 cannot.

Blaster has choices Zapper does not.

Therefore, either Blaster has an advantage or Zapper has a limitation.

Blaster does not have an advantage - he has an ordinary EB

Therefore Zapper's EB is limited.

CONCLUSION: Zapper should get a point savings, because he has a power with less utility than Blaster's. Blaster should not pay the same amount for power provides more choices, and no drawbacks.

To say "he doesn't intend to use it to do damage" is like saying Fireguy, with his +30 ED vs Fire Only, doesn't intend to use this to defend against other attacks, so he should get no limitation, or Strong Guy's STR No Figured should have no limitation because he doesn't intend to use it to enhance his PD or Stun.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Hoo boy! A can o' worms!

Originally posted by Hugh Neilson

If you re-read my comment, you'll note I said "only to spread for bonus OCV", so the character would also sacrifice the ability to strike multiple hexes. I'd be inclined to give a -1 for "only to spread", and I agree it's worth more than +1 OCV, even costing END.

My comparison was a bit facetious, since there would be no reason to buy spreading, only for OCV, given 2 point levels already exist.]

Ah! Quite right. I missed the part about only OCV. Sorry about that.

To say "he doesn't intend to use it to do damage" is like saying Fireguy, with his +30 ED vs Fire Only, doesn't intend to use this to defend against other attacks, so he should get no limitation, or Strong Guy's STR No Figured should have no limitation because he doesn't intend to use it to enhance his PD or Stun.

True. I think Limitations work more on potential than on intent, although I probably would find some difficulty with a player's taking a Limitation for a situation his/her character can and does always (or very often) avoid. That kind of thing is probably worth less of a Limitation, if any.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hoo boy! A can o' worms!

Originally posted by prestidigitator

True. I think Limitations work more on potential than on intent, although I probably would find some difficulty with a player's taking a Limitation for a situation his/her character can and does always (or very often) avoid. That kind of thing is probably worth less of a Limitation, if any.

That comes down to how common the limitation is. "Not in a vacuum" may be worth a substantial limitation in a spacefaring campaign, but not in the 17th century.

I think a character will try to avoid situations that restrict or eliminate his powers - that's natural. That should be taken into account in setting the limitation though - Samson isn't going to get much, if any, limitation for "Not if hair cut" on his STR. If anything, it's more of a disadvantage (a secret he tries to keep, and the consequences are possible loss of his STR if someone finds out, and acts on it) than a limitation.

Of course, sooner or later you can bet someone will find out about your "not in magnetic field" limit and arrange for it to come into play. [How about a Minuteman Mk XII with "Analyze Superpowers" to determine such limitations?]

Heya Hugh...

Sorry I didn't get back sooner. Real life and all.

OK, perhaps I do tend to hang on the mechanics and the "intent" of the Player. Players' intent is very important whenever powers are considered. Players will sometimes pull (or try to, at least) the darndest things on a GM. I remember a Player in one campaign, long ago, who created a PC called Atom-Smasher. This EB PC had, in addition to his regular powers the ability to power up a devistating 48d6 attack in which was supposed to be "only used in the most direst circumstance". Oh it had all kinds of Lims on it, such as "Takes extra time" and "Increased END", but I still shouldn't have allowed it. Turns out that "only used in the most direst circumstance" meant EVERY SESSION! LOL Hoo boy!

But to look at your examples:

_____

"We have two characters. One, Blaster, has a 15d6 EB. Normally, he uses 3d6 to spread and boost OCV, or fill three hexes.

A second character, Zapper, has 15d6, but 3d6 may ONLY be used to spread to fill a hex/gain bonus OCV."

_____

I believe your second example, Zapper, is not presented like the original poster described, not that there was any comparison to another PC, but we'll assume all the PCs were balanced by an AP cap. To be shown correctly, it would look more like this:

_____

We have two characters. One, Blaster, has a 15d6 EB. Normally, he uses 3d6 to spread and boost OCV, or fill three hexes.

A second character, Zapper, has 12d6, with an additional 3d6 bought as "may ONLY be used to spread to fill a hex/gain bonus OCV".

_____

Does Blaster have the edge (flexability) over Zapper? Well, yes, but he paid the full points for that edge. Blaster's power was built correctly in the way that it was meant to be built.

Zapper on the other hand has a spreadable attack that does 15d6 damage, compared to the 12d6 Blaster would have, only Zapper's additional dice are paid for with a Lim that isn't really limiting him at all.

If the same character had both powers in an MP, I think that the "Zapper" power would be used far more often than the "Blaster" power. In fact, I guarantee it. That's not just intent, it's human nature. But maybe I just look at it a different way than you do...

You said it yourself, Hugh: "I think a character will try to avoid situations that restrict or eliminate his powers - that's natural. That should be taken into account in setting the limitation though". My point is that a PC isn't going to "avoid" spreading his attack if this Lim is allowed, because he'd have nothing to lose. So he'd use it every time, and get those extra dice. Better that he buy the full amount of dice and then buy complimentary CLs to allow him to hit easier. This shouldn't be a problem unless the PC is already at the max OCV set by the GM for the campaign...

But you are right Hugh, it is up to the GM to decide if any power (and construction thereof, including Lims) is allowed. I agree with that 100%. I'm just saying that it doesn't look like a limitation to me, because I don't believe the Player will ever NOT use it. Judging by the radically differing opinions on how much this Lim should be worth, perhaps discussing it is more trouble than it's worth. And that alone should be enough of a red flag for any GM to look closer at it.

And when in doubt, I just open FReD to page 179 and reread the bold type in column 1: "A Limitation which doesn't limit the character isn't worth any bonus!" I'm all for shaving point costs off powers- don't get me wrong- I just believe "Only to spread" for ADDITIONAL damage dice is, well, cheesy. To me, that's like buying additional inches of flight "Only to stay off the ground"... worth a big, fat -0 Lim in my book.

Mags

Re: Heya Hugh...

I remember a Player in one campaign, long ago, who created a PC called Atom-Smasher. This EB PC had, in addition to his regular powers the ability to power up a devistating 48d6 attack in which was supposed to be "only used in the most direst circumstance". Oh it had all kinds of Lims on it, such as "Takes extra time" and "Increased END", but I still shouldn't have allowed it. Turns out that "only used in the most direst circumstance" meant EVERY SESSION! LOL Hoo boy!

As I read this, I'm struck by the fact that you're the guy who complained I was using irrelevant comparisons to make my case. "Only in the most direst of circumstances" is (in addition to terrible use of English :rolleyes:) a very subjective term that would need to be defined up front. I'd give it to the player as No Conscious Control, -2 - it's available ONLY when I say it's available. But I also wouldn't let him have 48 damage classes anyway. PERIOD

But to look at your examples:

A second character, Zapper, has 12d6, with an additional 3d6 bought as "may ONLY be used to spread to fill a hex/gain bonus OCV".

_____

Your change is purely semantic, but I have no problem using it.

Does Blaster have the edge (flexability) over Zapper? Well, yes, but he paid the full points for that edge. Blaster's power was built correctly in the way that it was meant to be built.

Why do you stress the fact that Blaster paid full points for this advantage when, under your model, Zapper gets no limitation and consequently ALSO pays full points for a power which does not gain that advantage?

Zapper on the other hand has a spreadable attack that does 15d6 damage, compared to the 12d6 Blaster would have, only Zapper's additional dice are paid for with a Lim that isn't really limiting him at all.

Limitations are part of the power structure. Using limitations builds powers which lack some functionality "in the way they were meant to be built", or limitations wouldn't save points.

And his additional dice aren't paid for - they are cheaper. Blaster pays 75 points (60 for 12d6 + 15 for 3d6). Zapper pays 68 points (60 for 12d6 plus 8 for 3d6 assuming a -1 limitation).

If the same character had both powers in an MP, I think that the "Zapper" power would be used far more often than the "Blaster" power. In fact, I guarantee it. That's not just intent, it's human nature. But maybe I just look at it a different way than you do...

I'll say we're looking at it differently! If you want to put both those powers in a multipower, feel free! In dfact, make as many slots as you like, each with more dice only for spreading than the last. Let's compare Multi-Man:

He buys a multipower (75 points for the pool), one slot with Blaster Power (7 pt ultra) and one with the Zapper power (7 point ultra) for a total of 89 points. Blaster paid 75 for his 15d6 EB. Name ONE thing that Multi-Man can do with his multipower (and the extra 14 points he spent) that Blaster cannot do with his 15d6 EB brought straight! :confused: :confused: He can spread to fill three hexes and do 12d6 damage. So can Blaster and Zapper. He can spread to add 3 OCV. So can Blaster and Zapper. He can abandon these advantages and fire a 15d6 EB. So can Blaster (Zapper can't, which is why Blaster pays more than Zapper). Multi-Man gets absolutely nothing for his 14 point expenditure (7 points if he had an existing multi and only added the 12d6 + 3d6 only to spread blast). In my campaign, Multi-Man would be told he has 7 points freed up - I wouldn't let a player accidentally take on that level of inefficiency.

You said it yourself, Hugh: "I think a character will try to avoid situations that restrict or eliminate his powers - that's natural. That should be taken into account in setting the limitation though". My point is that a PC isn't going to "avoid" spreading his attack if this Lim is allowed, because he'd have nothing to lose. So he'd use it every time, and get those extra dice.

Really? Against Gobbler the Giant Turkey Monster? Why spend the END? The power is USELESS in these circumstances. The question isn't will he use the power - it's how muchn flexibility he has sold off.

Better that he buy the full amount of dice and then buy complimentary CLs to allow him to hit easier. This shouldn't be a problem unless the PC is already at the max OCV set by the GM for the campaign...

That would be better IF the goal were to inflict 15d6 damage and have a better OCV. That's not what the player wants. He wants an EB that can do only 12d6 maximum, and can either have a better OCV OR strike at targets in up to 3 adjacent hexes. If he bought a 15d6 EB, he could do all of that PLUS have an extra 3d6 damage as an option. If he buys 12d6, + 3d6 only for spreading, he has a power with less function than a standard 15d6 EB that provides only the options the character should have. It is more limited, and should cost less, than a 15d6 EB (ie less than 75 points). It is marginally less limited, and should cost more, than a 12d6 EB with 3 - 2pt skill levels - he can also get a minor area effect, but he pays END for the OCV bonuses (I would say more than 64 points, rather than 66, due to the END cost on the levels). Applying a -1 limit, he pays 68 points. Applying -1/2, which I think is too low, he pays 70, so at least it's in the right range. Applying no limit, he pays the same as the fully flexible Blaster - that's not fair.

I'm just saying that it doesn't look like a limitation to me, because I don't believe the Player will ever NOT use it.

It sounds like you're saying a limitation must force an "all or nothing" - ie there must be times when the power is completely unavailable. Will a Speedster with "Flight, only touching a surface" be unable to use his power? NO - he will "fly" along surfaces. He gets a limitation because he has "sold back" things Flight can normally do. If I take Aid, Self Only (-1/2), I will always have that Aid available. I will always have myself available. There is never a time this power cannot be used. Yet I get a limitation. Why? Because I have sacrificed the ability to Aid others. I even get the limit if I am a solo character!

And when a player purchasers +36d EB, only to spread, he has sold the ability to do more damage. Thus, his power is more restricted than the norm, and should have a limitation.

Judging by the radically differing opinions on how much this Lim should be worth, perhaps discussing it is more trouble than it's worth. And that alone should be enough of a red flag for any GM to look closer at it.

I think we've pretty much settled in at the -1/2 to -1 limit. Many have pointed to the "by the book" limits of "Does no Knockback (-1/4) and "Does no Stun" (-3/4) as a pretty good indicator of what the limit should be based on what's been lost. Others feel -1/2 is reasonable based on what's been gained. The need to assess value is a common one. The value of "not in a vacuum" depends on how common a vacuum will be. In a spacefaring campaign, pretty common. In Western Hero - ummm...no - that's a function of the gun's special effects.

If we take disagreement over cost as an indicator an ability should not be allowed, I'd have to ban Bricks - "Is STR underpriced at 1 point" is a common discussion issue with no real agreement on these boards.

And when in doubt, I just open FReD to page 179 and reread the bold type in column 1: "A Limitation which doesn't limit the character isn't worth any bonus!" I'm all for shaving point costs off powers- don't get me wrong- I just believe "Only to spread" for ADDITIONAL damage dice is, well, cheesy. To me, that's like buying additional inches of flight "Only to stay off the ground"... worth a big, fat -0 Lim in my book.

I think your book is quite narrow. Levitation is "Flight, only to gain or lose altitude". It is limited, though I can't recall the magnitude (I THINK -1). And those additional inches of flight cannot:

Root to avoid knockback

Propel the character forward

Propel the character backward

Increase altitude

Decrease altitude

IFrankly, it's a stupid power - if you're flying anyway, it does nothing. If you're not, you're already on the ground. It's not worth -0. It's just worth 0.

Re: Heya Hugh...

But you are right Hugh, it is up to the GM to decide if any power (and construction thereof, including Lims) is allowed. I agree with that 100%. I'm just saying that it doesn't look like a limitation to me, because I don't believe the Player will ever NOT use it.

Absolutely. The less often cited corollary, however, is that the player then makes the choice whether, for the points offered by the GM, he is willing to accept the proposed limitation.

If Zapper will get no points back for his "+3d6 only to spread" vs "+3d6", and he were my character, I would either buy Zapper a 15d6 EB, and know that I can have those extra dice available should I wish to use them (if I don't see the limiotation as central to the character) or shelve him and make a new character (and use Zapper, with his central limitation, in a campaign run by someone who's going to give him the point break for limiting his powers).

Well, well, Hugh.

First of all I am not a "guy".

Second, pardon me for expressing an opinion. Perhaps you'd prefer if I refrained from doing so in the future?

Third, I'm not being agrumentative here, in responding to your overly picky-posts. I still think you have misunterstood my point all along.

No matter how much you quote me and try to make it look like I am against THAT Lim for the FULL amount of dice, I STILL think that particular Lim for ADDITIONAL dice is a lame one. That's not narrow, that's just years of experience in recognizing a Lim that isn't worth anything. Period.

Mags

Well...it IS becoming widely known that Hugh has played HERO for quite some time...and I have played it oh...nearly as long. Hugh is a softie, for sure...very oriented towards his players and campaign limits.

I am not so understanding oif my players, and lift campaign limits as the game progresses...but overall I think Hugh is pretty much a softie. :) He nitpicks too, but it makes him a valuable opponent in debates.

I THINK what you are saying is that if Zapper purchased +3d6 OVER AND ABOVE his 15d6 EB, it gets no limitation. I agree with you. Any player buying points over the Active Point limit for my campaign is trying to slip one by me...and won't get a point break...and usually won't get the power either. Hugh on the other hand will look at it and say "this is 90 AP, that's outside the campaign limits. Rebuild it. If you want bonuses to hit with your 15d6, buy skill levels."

I think it is a limitation...especially where AP caps are in play. Judging by Hugh's posts he HAS AP caps in play...so it IS a limitation. IF you can only buy a 75 AP power in Hugh's world, consider this...

Blaster has purchased a 15d6 EB for 75 points. If confronted with agents, he can spread for less damage and more targets. If confronted with a martial artist, he can spread to hit. If confronted by Grond, he cuts loose at 15d6, and runs if necessary.

Zapper has purchased a 12d6 EB with +3d6 for spread only. If cofronted with agents, he can spread for less damage and more targets more targets, but if he's spreading for just one hex or two, his power is less useful than Blaster. If confronted by a martial artist, he has the same options as Blaster, except he cannot do more than 12d6...and against Grond...well....Zapper can NOT do more than 12d6. Grond very well may squash him.

Thus Hugh figures a limitation, and that's where all the nit-picking is coming from. :)

By the way Hugh, I am still weighing in at -1.

Well, well, Hugh.

Your picture looks like a guy :(

I'm not sure where I said "guy", but there's lots of stuff down there so I certainly could have. If I fell into "masculine pronoun" English, and this offends you, that was not my intent, and I apologize. Do you have a preferred term of reference?

Second, pardon me for expressing an opinion. Perhaps you'd prefer if I refrained from doing so in the future?

The boards are all about opoinions. You have yours. I have mine. Mine is that yours seems to miss some things, but que sera.

Third, I'm not being agrumentative here, in responding to your overly picky-posts. I still think you have misunterstood my point all along.

Did I say somewhere you're being argumentative? I don't find anything derogatory about your posts. I suppose I would say we're both argumentative. You're arguing your point and I'm arguing mine. There's nothing wrong with that.

No matter how much you quote me and try to make it look like I am against THAT Lim for the FULL amount of dice, I STILL think that particular Lim for ADDITIONAL dice is a lame one. That's not narrow, that's just years of experience in recognizing a Lim that isn't worth anything. Period.

OK, I just don't get this one. What would be the point of buying an attack power all the dice of which are only to spread? This is the second time you've raised the possibility (unless I am misreading your comments) of buying the whole power, rather than just additional dice, as "only to spread". What would that power do, other than provide a fancy light show that generally hits its target, or fills lots of hexes, but has no actual effect beyond that?

Would you give the character a limitation for an EB that cannot be spread? If you feel "only to spread" does not limit the power, I would suggest removing this ability (which you seem to believe is worth 5 points per "spreading die) would carry a pretty significant limitation.

Well, well, Hugh.

Mags

Hugh isn't getting snippy by simply pointing out what he (and I) views as flaws in your reasoning. Your method of proving your point is to:

beg the question, cheesy? why?/lame? why?

appeal to your authority, experience which is not persuasive as I imagine that many of us could say the same

avoiding the tough questions

and just plain old circular reasoning

Man! This seems a lot too complicated. I think I will just take the compliment of the Cannot be Spread Limitation. Isn't it a -1/4? That means a power with just that Limitation is worth 4/5 the value. So Can Only be Used to Spread should make a power worth 1/5 of its value, which comes to a -4 Limitation. Let's just call it -2. :D;)

Re: Re: ...

Originally posted by Agent X

Hugh isn't getting snippy by simply pointing out what he (and I) views as flaws in your reasoning. Your method of proving your point is to:

beg the question, cheesy? why?/lame? why?

appeal to your authority, experience which is not persuasive as I imagine that many of us could say the same

avoiding the tough questions

and just plain old circular reasoning

Thank you - I was starting to wonder if I'd missed something.

I had, I suppose - the answers to the questions posed previously - but that's understandable since they aren't actually there.