Limitation for only to spread

Bartman

Re: Limitation for only to spread

Ok, ok... I guess I did misunderstand the original post.

Originally posted by Bartman

I am creating a character and I want him to be able to pull of a number of tricks with his EB. All of these tricks seem to be covered under the spread rules. But I don't want him to have to reduce the power of his blasts to get the effects. So the answer is obvious, buy him additional dice of EB with the disad only to spread. The additional dice would be unable to add stun, body or knockback to the attack. So how much of a disad is this worth?

I thought Bartman wanted to be able to spread his EB attack, thus getting all the bonuses for spreading, yet still doing the same amount of dice damage as if he had not spread the attack.

If we were talking apples and oranges all along, then I apologize. It just looked like somone getting something for nothing. Because if I had that same power, and then another one that did the same amount of dice, I would always choose to use the spread power because it would have a better chance of hitting every time. I didn't think that was so difficult to grasp, but then, maybe my writing skills aren't up to snuff.

Mags

By the way, the entire pic that I cropped my avatar from is here:

attachment.php?s=&postid=128014

Of course *GRIN* I don't look like that... you guys should check out the Superhero Images thread in CHAMPIONS. Good stuff there. ;)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Re: Limitation for only to spread

Originally posted by Magmarock

Ok, ok... I guess I did misunderstand the original post.

I thought Bartman wanted to be able to spread his EB attack, thus getting all the bonuses for spreading, yet still doing the same amount of dice damage as if he had not spread the attack.

If we were talking apples and oranges all along, then I apologize. It just looked like somone getting something for nothing. Because if I had that same power, and then another one that did the same amount of dice, I would always choose to use the spread power because it would have a better chance of hitting every time. I didn't think that was so difficult to grasp, but then, maybe my writing skills aren't up to snuff.

Mags

By the way, the entire pic that I cropped my avatar from is here:

attachment.php?s=&postid=128014

Of course *GRIN* I don't look like that... you guys should check out the Superhero Images thread in CHAMPIONS. Good stuff there. ;)

It sorta looked like that was what was going on but I wasn't sure.:) Well heck, I think we are all in agreement then.

Well let me clarify Magma. The character I am designing will have a 10d6 EB. To this 10d6 I wanted to add an additional 5d6 only usable to spread. These 5d6 cannot be used for damage under any circumstances. But they will allow the character to do a number of spreading tricks without having to lower the damage of the base 10d6. The limitation will only be applied to the additional 5d6. The cost for this construction will be 50pts +12 to 17pts depending on the level of the limitation my GM allows.

And after watching all the discussion here I'm planning on argueing for a -3/4 limitation (basically a variation on the limit does no stun).

Originally posted by Bartman

Well let me clarify Magma. The character I am designing will have a 10d6 EB. To this 10d6 I wanted to add an additional 5d6 only usable to spread. These 5d6 cannot be used for damage under any circumstances. But they will allow the character to do a number of spreading tricks without having to lower the damage of the base 10d6. The limitation will only be applied to the additional 5d6. The cost for this construction will be 50pts +12 to 17pts depending on the level of the limitation my GM allows.

And after watching all the discussion here I'm planning on argueing for a -3/4 limitation (basically a variation on the limit does no stun).

I'd say you're selling this short. I'd give -1 on the basis it does neither STUN nor Knockback. The only other thing it can't do is Body, and I don't see that as meriting any additional limitation since Stun Only is a -0 option anyway.

Originally posted by Hugh Neilson

I'd say you're selling this short. I'd give -1 on the basis it does neither STUN nor Knockback. The only other thing it can't do is Body, and I don't see that as meriting any additional limitation since Stun Only is a -0 option anyway.

I'm not sure if "No KB" is worth anything here; if there's no Body damage, then there's no KB either. Unless, of course, I missed something.

DGv3.0

Originally posted by DigitalGolem

I'm not sure if "No KB" is worth anything here; if there's no Body damage, then there's no KB either. Unless, of course, I missed something.

"No Knockback" is generally worth -1/4. "No Stun" is generally worth -3/4. Thus, we can get -1 without taking "no Body". As such, I would suggest an attack with does "No Body, -0" still does knockback based on the hypothetical BOD unless he takes No Knockback (-1/4).

Assuming it still does Knockback, No Bod probably balances out at -0. No risk of hurting targets, so no need to reign in the dice, is offset by the inability to punch through barriers, entangles, and automotons who don't take STUN.

I would say "only to spread" is -1, and that means no KB, STUN or BOD from those extra dice.

Thank you, Bart, for the clarification!

I was seriously way off base then. LOL

No wonder you were all thinking I was nuts. ;) Apples and oranges.

But now that I understand what you are doing, wouldn't it be cheaper and more simple to just by CLs to negate the penalty?

I mean, the only reason I can see for buying it the way Bart describes is if the Player wants to include the additional cost with the power's cost in a MP slot. Is this the case?

Mags

It's a completely valid power construct Mags...

He wants the ability to spread for multiple targets too...you can't use CSL's for that without including Rapid Fire and a lenient GM (for over 2-3 targets).

Now here's a rules question...if you "spread" a single Hex Area Effect, do you hit another complete Hex with it?

Can you spread an Area Effect attack?

Originally posted by Farkling

It's a completely valid power construct Mags...

He wants the ability to spread for multiple targets too...you can't use CSL's for that without including Rapid Fire and a lenient GM (for over 2-3 targets).

Now here's a rules question...if you "spread" a single Hex Area Effect, do you hit another complete Hex with it?

Can you spread an Area Effect attack?

Skill Levels and Rapid Fire is kinda scarier in some circumstances than a spreadable eb.

Area Affect spread? I would rule you do.

Re: Thank you, Bart, for the clarification!

Originally posted by Magmarock

But now that I understand what you are doing, wouldn't it be cheaper and more simple to just by CLs to negate the penalty?

I mean, the only reason I can see for buying it the way Bart describes is if the Player wants to include the additional cost with the power's cost in a MP slot. Is this the case?

Well actually I will be buying a number of CSLs as well. This guy is going to be a sharpsooter supreme. Not that he'll be able to do anything once he hits it, 10d6 is rather weak in this campaign. In this case spreading fits the effect I want, electric bolts bouncing from character to character, so I am going with it. And no this will be a standalone ability outside an MP.

Originally posted by Hugh Neilson

"No Knockback" is generally worth -1/4. "No Stun" is generally worth -3/4. Thus, we can get -1 without taking "no Body". As such, I would suggest an attack with does "No Body, -0" still does knockback based on the hypothetical BOD unless he takes No Knockback (-1/4).

I would say "only to spread" is -1, and that means no KB, STUN or BOD from those extra dice.

This sounds pretty reasonable. I agree with a No Body attack still doing Knockback, too (of course, I would say that the Kockback itself still has the potential for doing Body...).

Remember that the extra dice are being added to the power, as well, so any Active Point limits should really apply to the whole thing. It doesn't sound like this is a problem in this case, though.