Basic: OCV combat mods?

secretID

I'm a little embarrassed to have this question, but I've just encountered it for the first time.

There's a ranged fight inside a plane that is accelerating and at a steep incline. I'm applying DCV negatives for the combat environment. It seems to me that there should be some OCV negative as well, so I look for that...and don't find it.

Am I missing something obvious, or is this just not really part of the system*, or...?

Thanks for any help.

* I.e., any theoretical OCV mod could already be part of the applicable DCV mod, if you get me.

Re: Basic: OCV combat mods?

Combat Modifiers 6E2 p41; it covers most situations.

There aren't a lot of OCV Penalties, but the GM is well within his rights to impose some based on the situation if it's warranted and doesn't ruin the fun. You could likely apply some form of Cover Rules for fights in tight quarters or similar situations.

I would think that both would be harder, but the effect on OCV from poor footing would be greater. If someone were trying to shoot me, I think I'd rather we both be standing on boat in a storm than in an empty parking lot.

Cramped conditions, like in a plane, would certainly be a bigger DCV problem, but that's a separate factor.

The question is, is the overall effect that it's harder or easier to hit your target? It seems to me that it would be harder. Which means OCV penalties, more than DCV penalties.

On a pitching boat or a plane in heavy turbulence, it's not easier to dodge, it's just that the vehicle is doing the dodging for you, in a sense.

The question is, is the overall effect that it's harder or easier to hit your target? It seems to me that it would be harder. Which means OCV penalties, more than DCV penalties.

On a pitching boat or a plane in heavy turbulence, it's not easier to dodge, it's just that the vehicle is doing the dodging for you, in a sense.

I agree. I was a little surprised that I didn't find defaults OCV penalties for different situations, but I guess there really aren't that many like this.

page 46 of 6e2 under 'Environmental Conditions Table' suggests -3 OCV and -3DC for any attack that requires that you have your feet on the ground - when in zero G and a rapidly descending plane is rather like that. P47/48 go into detail.

BTW, PhilFleishmann makes an excellent point about how to approach the situation absent specific rules: overall is it harder or easier to hit/hurt the opponent.

page 46 of 6e2 under 'Environmental Conditions Table' suggests -3 OCV and -3DC for any attack that requires that you have your feet on the ground - when in zero G and a rapidly descending plane is rather like that. P47/48 go into detail.

BTW, PhilFleishmann makes an excellent point about how to approach the situation absent specific rules: overall is it harder or easier to hit/hurt the opponent.

Cool - thanks.

If you are both in the same condition (in zero G, in a tilting plane, et cetera) then you get -3 OCV and the target gets -3 DCV, meaning your chance to hit is exactly the same? I don't have the book yet, but that sounded odd to me? And I reading you right?

If you are both in the same condition (in zero G' date=' in a tilting plane, et cetera) then you get -3 OCV and the target gets -3 DCV, meaning your chance to hit is exactly the same? I don't have the book yet, but that sounded odd to me? And I reading you right?[/quote']

I don't know about 6e, but in 5e, zero g is 1/2 DCV, so it would be a net advantage to the attacker, in a supers game.

If you are both in the same condition (in zero G' date=' in a tilting plane, et cetera) then you get -3 OCV and the target gets -3 DCV, meaning your chance to hit is exactly the same? I don't have the book yet, but that sounded odd to me? And I reading you right?[/quote']

Not quite: -3 DC for attacks that normally require your feet to be on the ground i.e. a punch or kick will do less damage to an opponent if you are in freefall.

DCV is halved if you are in zero G - which can mean that it becomes easier to hit someone or harder to hit someone (taking into account the -3 OCV) depending on starting CV. personally I do not like 'halvings' of CV as they do not have a consistent effect.

I would probably rule it like this:

In freefall, with nothing to bounce off, you get velocity based DCV only. If someone is falling with you then use relative velocity THIS APPLIES FOR RANGED ATTACKS. It is nigh impossible to effectively dodge anything if you can not change your own vector.

Against HtH attacks you get -2 DCV: you can still block and twist from impacts or fend off an opponent but it is harder.

In both cases you get -3 OCV.

I agree with the reduced DC logic but would probably make it -1 or -2 for impact based attacks. I might also disallow some martial maneouvres: you simply can not do a spinning kick in that sort of situation.

If you are in zero G or freefall but inside a structure you can push off from I'd give you a DEX or Acrobatics roll to negate the penalties this phase.