Befuddling IR?

eepjr24

Originally posted by Jeff

Change Environment, either for direct PER penalties for IR vision or to jigger the local temperature so you fade in. It may depend on just why they're hard to perceive with IR.

Well, lets look at the case of a being that is constructed of something other than flesh and bone. We'll assume some metal to start with, that is steel like. It tends to be the same temperature as the room around it, dissipates heat very quickly if it heats up. Would this be something like:

Change Environment: Neutral Temperature Body, -5 to IR Vision Per rolls, 0 End, Persistent, Inherent, Always On, No range (-1/2), Only affects body not surrounding hex (-0)?

AP: 34

RP: 15

Or maybe:

Invisibility: Neutral Temperature Body, Targetting Group, Only vs IR Perception (-1)?, Bright Fringe, 0 End, Persistent, Inherent, Always On

AP: 45

RP: 16

Both of these seem expensive for the effect, making him difficult to perceive in an odd single sense. It makes sense for several beings to have this power (elementals, undead, etc) but still seems pricey to my eye.

- Ernie

Concealment?

I was thinking about this one last night, and thus posted a rules question to Steve about it. Let's see, that would look somehting like:

Stealth (11-)

Concealment (11-)

+5 to stealth roll

+5 to concealment roll

Standard Effect (Is that legal on skills?)

Persistent

Always On

Inherent

Only vs IR Perception (-1?)

AP: 45

RP: 18

Are skills persistent by default? I thought no, but could be wrong.

Does -1 seem like a fair lim for "Only vs IR Perception"? Lower? Higher?

If standard effect is legal (no book here), I am not sure what exact number it guarantees on 3d6. If it is a 9- roll, this would provide a total of -3 versus the average perception roll of 11-. If it is 11- on the standard, then this gives -5 on average.

Starting to sound like no matter how you do this it is about 18 RP. Perhaps that is a fair price, perhaps not. Obviously, any of these would be cheaper if they were not innate abilities generated by the type of body the creature has.

- Ernie

Correction...

I need to stop posting before 8am. heh. Minor corrections after reading my post:

1. Skill roll standard effect would probably be 11 since 9 is actually alot better.

2. Power could be bought with combo levels to reduce AP, like this:

Stealth (11-)

Concealment (11-)

+5 levels with above 2 skills

Persistent

Inherent

Always On

Only vs IR Perception (-1)

AP: 37

RP: 15

Not a huge difference, but something. Anyone see any holes? Advantages or Limitations that I missed?

- Ernie

You know, if the character is just plain room temperature all the time, it's perfectly reasonable to take that as a special effect of what the character is and not try to assign it a point cost. You don't do that for the undead, for instance. For another example, it might be harder to see the Hulk against a green background, but we don't see a really limited Invisibility in his writeups, any more than we see extra PRE usable only versus people afraid of the color green.