5th Edition Healing

brichter

5th Edition Healing

test ad asdf

Hi!

As a site and system newbie, I've been playing over on Hero Central and I generated a healer character, but ran afoul of the "Max Effect" rule, which for healers, seems absolute and, well, pretty draconian. It appears that the game designers really don't like healers, for whatever reason, but regardless of that, I was wondering if there are any workarounds for that?

For example, is there a way to use repeated healings cumulatively? I had bought the "repeat interval" modifier which now seems useless... can regeneration be used on others? How long can someone be dead before they cannot be resurrected? Once a body is a corpse, and therefore inanimate, can Transform be used to patch the body together before using Heal on it, basically, allowing the healer to heal someone who was dead for longer or damaged worse?

In short, are there any suggestions out there for ways to beef up healing, because it certainly looks like the game designers nerfed it pretty effectively.

Thanks!

Bob

ps - this is a duplicate post for one I put up in the "Rules" section - a window came up and told me only the game designer can respond, and suggested I repost it here.

Re: 5th Edition Healing

In Fantasy Hero, the concept of a decreased re-use period was raised, and this advantage appears in 5th Ed p 188. The default is that the healing max applies on a daily basis. If you take an advantage on Healing, you can reduce that 24 hour period (with a minimum period of 1 turn).

As to the "why", most gamjes resrict healing in some way. D&D, for example, limits how many spells can be cast in a day. Where is the risk of injury if healing is unlimited, so 1d6 of Healing can restore the entire group to full health after the battle is over? When will combat ever end if each side has a powerful Healer constantly restoring their team? Often, the tone of the game will set restrictions on healing (in a very gritty game, healing might be much more restricted).

In Fantasy Hero, the concept of a decreased re-use period was raised, and this advantage appears in 5th Ed p 188. The default is that the healing max applies on a daily basis. If you take an advantage on Healing, you can reduce that 24 hour period (with a minimum period of 1 turn).

As to the "why", most gamjes resrict healing in some way. D&D, for example, limits how many spells can be cast in a day. Where is the risk of injury if healing is unlimited, so 1d6 of Healing can restore the entire group to full health after the battle is over? When will combat ever end if each side has a powerful Healer constantly restoring their team? Often, the tone of the game will set restrictions on healing (in a very gritty game, healing might be much more restricted).

So, to be clear, since I bought the re-use period down to a single round, does that mean (I bought 2D6 of healing) that I can now do 2D6 per round, and that the healing is cumulative/additive, aka, 8 points, +7 points, +3 points, etc?

Welcome.

If you go to the Hero Games home page, select ABOUT THE HERO SYSTEM>, and then Rules FAQ, you’ll come to a search engine where you can find such things as:

Can a charcter make his Regeneration Usable By Other?No. By definition, Regeneration is Self Only. If a character wants to buy a similar ability he can use on other people, he can construct it using Healing with appropriate Power Modifiers (which would probably include Uncontrolled and Others Only).”

How long can someone be dead before they cannot be resurrected? Once a body is a corpse' date=' and therefore inanimate, can Transform be used to patch the body together before using Heal on it, basically, allowing the healer to heal someone who was dead for longer or damaged worse?[/quote']

That would be in GM discretion land. Technically a Major Transform could change a pile of rocks into a living thing. You'll have to discuss the matter with the GM.

ps - this is a duplicate post for one I put up in the "Rules" section - a window came up and told me only the game designer can respond' date=' and suggested I repost it here.[/quote']

If you look back to the HERO System 5th and 6th Edition Rules Questions forum you will find a thread at the top of the list labeled:

Sticky: Update: 5E And 6E Questions

In it Mr. Long states he will stop answering 5E questions as of December 1st. He might still entertain your questions, after all hasn’t changed the name of the forum yet.

So' date=' to be clear, since I bought the re-use period down to a single round, does that mean (I bought 2D6 of healing) that I can now do 2D6 per round, and that the healing is cumulative/additive, aka, 8 points, +7 points, +3 points, etc?[/quote']

"A round" is not a Hero measure. The period can be reduced to a single turn. So, if you had 2d6 BOD healing, decreased re-use duration (per turn), you would follow the same rules for the maximum healed, but each turn the base would reset. So, if in one turn, you rolled 3, 7, 5 and 11 on your 2d6, the target would be healed for 3, +4 (to make 7), nothing (5 is less than 7) and 4 (11 - 7). Next turn, you would start fresh, so a roll of 2 would heal 2.

This is, however, a significant advantage on Healing. IIRC, every step down the time chart from "per day" is +1/4. So 6 hours, 1 hour, 20 minutes, 5 minutes (+1), 1 minute, 1 turn. 2d6 Healing (20 base points) re-use duration per turn (+1 12/) makes that a 50 Active Point power.

The 6e Advanced Players Guide allows for regeneration more often than per turn. I wonder if the same option is included for Healing. I don't think Healing changes in 6e.

If you look back to the HERO System 5th and 6th Edition Rules Questions forum you will find a thread at the top of the list labeled:

Sticky: Update: 5E And 6E Questions

In it Mr. Long states he will stop answering 5E questions as of December 1st. He might still entertain your questions, after all hasn’t changed the name of the forum yet.

He also notes the board title will change Dec 1. Given the delays in 6e books shipping, I wonder whether he has extended that. His answer to the question may be indicative.

I appreciate that much of this has already been said but here's my thoughts ont he subject :)

Hero works on a points system. That means that 2d6 healing should be about twice as useful as 1d6 healing....roughly. If you could simply apply 1d6 healing twice to get the same effect, there would be less incentive to buy a bigger, chunkier heal.

That is not the whole story though - it also comes down to having a real sense of danger: there are wounds that only the most skilled healers could tackle - and that means that people really need to worry about their haracters getting injured - they are not likely to have the most skilled healers with the m. In addition even the most skilled healers have limits and can not help you if you get off your death bed (with their help) and go and get yourself cut open again.

Having said that, Hero is nothing if not incredibly customisable, and the rules do allow you to build healing powers that can be used every turn - it just costs more.

As to when you can resurrect someone - there is no game limit on when or how you can resurrect someone. Logically you'd need something from the original body to heal (or transform - I'd be happy for you to 'fix' a corpse that way) before you can bring it back to life, but that is something you might want to agree with your GM or build in as limitations on the power's ability to bring back the dead.

The Advanced Players Guide (APG) Has new options for healing and resurrection that you might like - it is an excellent read - highly recommended. That's 6e, of course, but then I'd also recommend you use that - Resurrection is a seperate power again (yay!)

In summary the Draconian One does not hate healers, but is rightly wary of them changing the dynamic of games to such an extent that they make a lot of challenges less exciting. That is not to say you can not build a power that doesn't, for instance...

Mobile Instant Hospital: Healing BODY 1d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Continuous (+1), Decreased Re-use Duration (1 Turn; +1 1/2), Area Of Effect (16" Radius; +1 1/2), Selective (+1/4) (57 Active Points)

Which is a power that you turn on and select all your mates within 32metres and, until you turn it off they (and you) regain 1-3 Body every turn (almost certainly '2' or '3'), and it does not cost END. You'll be a very popular little healer.

The way that works is this: say you are SPD 4, and you turn it on on segment 3 - you roll your 1d6, and say you get a 2: that is 2 character points of Body, or 1 Body healed. To everyone. Next phase (segment 6) you roll a 4, which is 2 Body - but as you've already healed 1, it is only '+1'. Assuming you roll a '6' before the end of the turn, everyone will have a total of 3 Body healed that turn THEN the 'counter resets' (because of the 'decreased re-use duration modifier) so everyone can heal up to another 3 Body NEXT turn...and so on: you can literally heal millions of thousands of Body a day that way - over 57,000 Body per day per person, and you can get an awful lot of people in a 32 metre radius circle.

You think healing needs beefing up?