07. How To Do – Ultimate Entangle - Long

MistWing

One of the powers I’m trying to build is what I call ‘The Ultimate Entangle’. My goal is that, once I entangle someone (say – cocoon the stereotypical ‘Damsel In Distress’ (DiD) ), it’s virtually impossible to release them. One of the things I would want is a Variable Trigger, but instead of triggering the power to go off, it trigger the power to release its prisoner.

I have come up with three basic ideas for designing this cocoon and I would appreciate any comments or suggestions on them or on any other ideas for the design of this power.

Option 1 - Build the cocoon as a normal Entangle, but with these enhancements:

A. Regenerative Body - When the cocoon takes damage, it heals itself. This can be simulated using the existing rules and would cost +5 points per d6

B. Regenerative DEF – Similar to Regenerative Body except it applies to DEF instead. Cost is +5 points per +1 DEF and is based on the cost of Regenerative Body

C. Other Defenses – These would be the other three defenses of Heroes and would cost 5 points +1 defense (based on the cost of the Regenerative DEF)

D. “Does Body†Defense – The biggest problem of them all. This is a +1 advantage and would alter the “Does Body†advantage of any attack on the cocoon, allowing the cocoon to automatically defend against that attack, using the most appropriate of its 5 other defenses

Option 2 – Build the cocoon as a major Transform attack

The advantage of this is that, since it’s a transformation (the DiD becomes a cocooned DiD), the release can be anything I want (subject to GM approval). The drawback to this approach is that I can, in theory, get away with a major Entangle costing me very few points (1d6 Transform, 0 end, Continuous, Uncontrolled). It hardly seems right.

Option 3 – Transform attack combined with the cocoon

This option, the cocoon is made as a normal Entangle, but there is also a Transform attack combined with it so that, once the cocoon forms, the Transform begins to alter it so that in order free the DiD, the Transform has to be countered. This one seems to have the least problems with it, but there still seems to be something wrong (but I can’t figure out what)

Any ideas? I am aware that there was a recent supplement that had an Entangle with an NND on it. But I am under the impression that this is actually illegal and was just used to get the proper feel across. Besides, it would be a dirt-cheap Entangle for a very powerful effect.

Thanks

MistWing SilverTail

Originally posted by Killer Shrike

Alternately, just UAA EDM the target to "The Entangle Zone!" and leave them sit. You need the Transdimensional advantage to get them back.

Ooh. I kind of like this one. :)

I don't think you are quite thinking about this the right way. You are not creating a power which will be used to attack the PCs (are you?). That is why the Transform seems so cheesy. I think what you are trying to do is create an obstacle or challenge the PCs have to overcome.

One way you can view it is: you are the GM. This is part of the story. You don't have to define this in terms of any specific Power(s). You can just decide what the PCs need to do.

If you still wish to define it in terms of Power(s), I would still approach it from the vantage point of how the PCs are to perform the rescue. It sounds like this can't be accomplished through damage, so I would not use a Power which can normally be overcome using damage (like Entangle). The Extradimensional Movement was a good idea for this reason. You could also define it as an Entagle or Force Wall which just has defenses so high the PCs could never hope to damage it, then give it some kind of Limitation, such as Destroyed by Strong Alchohol, or whatever your specific way of letting out the victim is.

Of your options, I think Transform works best because there is always some specific way you can undo it (which is really what you are going for). In this case, think about making it All or Nothing. That should force you to buy it powerful enough to be realistic (you could instead limit it in some other way, like Extra Time).