Question about Does Not Work Against Silver Limitation

Matt the Bruins

Question

Hi Steve, in the process of converting a werewolf-y character from 5th Ed to 6th I noticed a discrepancy between a couple variations of essentially the same Limitation.

On 6E1 p186, under the Limitations section for Damage Reduction there's a Set Effect example Does Not Work Against Silver for a value of -1/2. On 6E1 p274 the sidebar example for Lycanthropic Regeneration includes the Limitation Does Not Work Against Damage Caused By Silver Weapons for a value of -3/4. Despite the slightly different wording it seems that the intent of the Limitations is the same, and both uses refer to silver being regarded as Common since it's such a well-known weakness.

My gut instinct is that the -3/4 level is correct for both since 6E1 p275 specifies values for the various frequencies of attacks and Common is listed at that value. But I thought I should check for official word – Do I have that backwards with -1/2 being the proper value for both? Or is there some reason that the two powers should be assigned differing Limitation values?

Thanks

1 answer to this question

Re: Question about Does Not Work Against Silver Limitation

I don't necessarily think there's anything wrong with the values being different, but if you want them both to be the same I'd stick with -3/4 on the grounds that werewolves' vulnerability to silver is a pretty well-known thing. Their vulnerability to blueberry pie, OTOH, is still pretty obscure. ;)