The City of ????

BlueCloud2k2

Re: The City of ????

The island should have a military base and research station on it, along with many university facilities trying to figure out who, what, where. All of these draw dependents and support personnel and can help to account for your 12 Million, or at least the first million or so. Needs port facilities also to ship and receive freight, and could become the new Norfolk or Groton for the Navy. Not sure if anyone who has seen Lost is ever going to get anywhere near the place though.

As far as the name, was the name something hung on the place or found on a street sign when people got there? Is it the product of marketers hoping to spur immigration or something alien that may have been bowdlerized to be more pronounceable by humans? Some thoughts are New Amsterdam, Brigadoon, Eureka, Columbia, Treasure Island, Arkham Isle or Neverland. You can always name it after the discoverer or Fort or Port something or other.

The island should have a military base and research station on it' date=' along with many university facilities trying to figure out who, what, where. All of these draw dependents and support personnel and can help to account for your 12 Million, or at least the first million or so. [/quote']

Ooh. Good point. Definitely using that.

Needs port facilities also to ship and receive freight, and could become the new Norfolk or Groton for the Navy. Not sure if anyone who has seen Lost is ever going to get anywhere near the place though.

There are port facilties, and establishing a Military Base on the island would be easy enough. I'd just need to play with landmass vs developed area for the City itself.

As far as the name, was the name something hung on the place or found on a street sign when people got there? Is it the product of marketers hoping to spur immigration or something alien that may have been bowdlerized to be more pronounceable by humans? Some thoughts are New Amsterdam, Brigadoon, Eureka, Columbia, Treasure Island, Arkham Isle or Neverland. You can always name it after the discoverer or Fort or Port something or other.

Good thoughts on the name source. New Avalon is something that would inspire people to want to live there...

My Next Question is, what is the international Response going to be?

The City of Avalon Mk 3

In 2003, 10 miles off of the coast of New Hampshire, an island appeared over night. On the island was a city complete in every way - except for it was unoccupied What's more, the city was more advanced than anything ever seen by man outside of Super-Level technology. All of the systems needed to operate a city were present: water, heating/cooling, electricity, sewage, public transport, roads, even a working Fusion Power plant whose energy output was 10 times what was needed to power the city.

In addition to all of this there were factories filled with configurable machinery to mass-produce nearly anything anybody could want. The health-care facilities were decades beyond what anyone had. And finally, each of the apartments and houses in the city had limited food-production systems.

After 5 years of research, the US Government had decided to open the city to the public as a Government District (just like Washington DC). The Isle was named New Avalon, and the City Avalon D.C.

An interim civic government was established, and free elections are planned for 2012. The major office buildings and production sites were auctioned off to various corporations and the houses were awarded by national lottery. A bridge was constructed, connecting the Isle to the mainland. A Naval Base and Government-funded research station were constructed. Powerlines from the Island to the mainland were installed to allow the Fusion Plant to power the continental U.S.

The city has the following amenities:

A Football stadium, Soccer stadium, Hockey stadium, Basket Ball stadium, and a Baseball stadium.

A fusion reactor (fuel source: heavy water)

A Heavy-Water extractor

A Water-treatment plant (to recycle sewage into water with minimal waste)

A De-salinization Plant (to turn sea-water into usable water; also feeds the heavy water extractor)

A fully functional Subway and Monorail system.

An international airport.

A Sea-port

A Zoo

A Museum

A bridge to the mainland (an add-on by the US Gov't)

A University

A Naval Base

A Government Research Outpost

The city itself is the size of New York. An estimated 12 Million Americans already live there, and the city is only ¾ occupied. Just as in Millenium City, self-driving cars are the standard.

The primary industries available are:

Reverse Engineering of the Technologies

Manufacturing

Maintenance

Education

Civil Jobs (administrators, trash-men, etc)

Law Enforcement

Corporate Jobs (Multiple start-up firms have their corporate headquarters in Avalon DC)

Military Personel

What I need help figuring out is the following:

- The Name of the City's sports teams

- Ideas of where the Island came from (Where people think the Island came from – conspiracy theories/urban legends)

- Any flaws/holes you can think of.

- International Reactions

Here is the actual origin of the city:

A parallel reality developed a Higgs-Boson based super weapon to fight off Istvatha V'han and the weapon caused their version of Earth to no longer exist. As Avalon was ground Zero for the invasion, the entire Island was shunted into CU Earth and everyone living on the Isle was shunted into the reality Istvatha V'han was invading from.

Due to the nature of the Isle's spawning, it is a cosmic weak-point that could allow anything to enter our world (or cause people to suddenly vanish into other worlds).

• 1 month later...

Since no one has suggested sports names...

Football likes aggressive names. Avalon Knights.

Baseball is more peaceful in names. Avalon Canarys with bright yellow uniforms.

Baseketball likes old nicknames. Avalon Islanders.

Hockey I don't know too well. Avalon Storm?

The local university (Avalon U.) might use Apples for all thier teams (and school colors of red or green and brown.)

The name "Avalon" is connected to King Aurther (Knights), the Canary Islands, and the Welsh word for Apple.

Since no one has suggested sports names...

Football likes aggressive names. Avalon Knights.

Baseball is more peaceful in names. Avalon Canarys with bright yellow uniforms.

Baseketball likes old nicknames. Avalon Islanders.

Hockey I don't know too well. Avalon Storm?

The local university (Avalon U.) might use Apples for all thier teams (and school colors of red or green and brown.)

The name "Avalon" is connected to King Aurther (Knights), the Canary Islands, and the Welsh word for Apple.

Here are the names I've decided to use. I was going to call the baseball team The Merlins... but Canaries works well too.

• Football - The Excaliburs
  • Soccer - The Swifts
  • Hockey - The Thunder (My favorite hockey team is the Tampa Bay Lightning so...)
  • Basket Ball - No Team As of Yet
  • Baseball stadium - Minor League Team – The Canaries

I like the idea of Avalon University using the Apple as it's signature... and the colors Red and Brown seem appropriate.

Have Rep!

Have you considered Arena Football and Indoor Soccor teams? Also' date=' a minor league basketball team (since they have no NBA team)?[/quote']

Arena Football? What's the difference between that and regular Football?

Also, there's professional Indoor Soccer? How's that work?

And never even thought about minor league Basketball.

I'm not much of a sports fanatic... so I don't know much about it. I just wanted some details to round out the city.

Arena Football is played indoors. The field is artificial turf, thier are walls to keep the ball from going into the stands, and it's legal to bounce the ball off the walls in a pass. Popular in smaller cities. But since you have a pro team, arena football might not work.

Indoor Soccer is like paying soccer in a hockey rink covered in artificial turf. No out of bounds (wall), smaller field. The San Diego Soccers team dominated the west coast league for years, which is how I know of it. But you have a pro-real soccer team, so you probably wouldn't have a indoor league team.

So, just a minor league basketball team. The Eastern Basketball Alliance would be appropriate http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Basketball_Alliance

But it's really just a little more detail that you may or may not want or need.