Unconscious Multiform Change

nuada

Hi,

I have a champions character who has 3 forms: one is a normal human, another is a magma elemental, and another is a vengeance sprite (think on of the Furies from Greek myth, except male and meaner). Each of these beings is possessing a single form, but have recently gained the ability to take over the form individually (multiform).

All three of these forms have 'accidental change' in their disads, and the vengeance sprite is especially greedy/dominant, in that it takes both the human and the magma elemental's will to 'accidentally change' away from the vengeance sprite form (these changes can also be done voluntarily by me, the player, but there is some chance the other forms will not play nice.

Anyway, given how dominant the vengeance sprite is, I would like to set up a trigger on the human and magma elemental such that, if either goes unconscious, the vengeance sprite takes over the body (though, since they share health, he'd still be unconscious, too). I'm not really sure how to build this. Is this just a special effect of my disads, and therefore free, or do I buy a naked advantage of 'trigger' somewhere? If so, is it built off of the multiform power (which only the human character paid for)? I obviously don't like this option since it would mean this trigger will cost about 50 points per character (since the multiform is a 171 point power -- we're cosmic level heroes). I don't have a problem paying a few points for this, since it is sort of a benefit (the vengeance sprite has a huge regen, so he won't stay out of the fight for long), with downsides (the vengeance sprite is always enraged, with all that entails).

Suggestions welcome.

I would just call it the Accidental Change Disadvantage. It lets you specify the conditions under which the accidental change occurs. You can just make one of these conditions, "when the character falls asleep." You might even wake up during the accidental change, as a Special Effect.

I would call the problem of the one form not always being controllable a pretty hefty Psychological Limitation on that form (maybe a Berserk/Enranged as well or instead?).

Oh, believe me, I loaded up on the disads to represent that. :)

Accidental Change: When Zach and Gruk really try to take control 11- (Common)

Social Limitation: Killing is FUN! (Frequently; Severe)

Psychological Limitation: Wants to be in control of body/form all the time (Common; Strong)

Rivalry: Professional (Gruk and Zachary; Rival is As Powerful; Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry; Rival is a Player Character)

Psychological Limitation: Psychotic (Very Common; Total)

Social Limitation: Natural State is Enraged (Very Frequently; Severe)

and just for fun:

Distinctive Features: Blurry and Menacing, Appearance seems to shift uncontrollably (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

I guess my concern with 'accidental change' is that it /does/ benefit me, and it's technically more of an 'on-purpose change', because of the regen on the vengeance sprite.

By doing this, I'm more likely to get back into a fight in which I've been knocked out.

However, since the multiform is 171 points (character is 780 total points, in all forms), buying even a +1/4 trigger adder on it is quite pricey, and I'm not sure if such a trigger would need to be bought for both Zach (human character, who bought the multiform power) and Gruk (magma elemental), or just for Zach, since he's the one with that power...

Originally posted by nuada

I guess my concern with 'accidental change' is that it /does/ benefit me, and it's technically more of an 'on-purpose change', because of the regen on the vengeance sprite.

By doing this, I'm more likely to get back into a fight in which I've been knocked out.

However, since the multiform is 171 points (character is 780 total points, in all forms), buying even a +1/4 trigger adder on it is quite pricey, and I'm not sure if such a trigger would need to be bought for both Zach (human character, who bought the multiform power) and Gruk (magma elemental), or just for Zach, since he's the one with that power...

I really don't think you need to buy it as an Advantage, unless it is normally very difficult for you to switch forms. It could just be a Special Effect, or an action you take before going to sleep, to change into the sprite.

It may not merit the Disadvantage (or as much of one), however, if you don't really change at inconvenient times or in inconvenient ways. You may only be able to take the appropriate Disadvantages on the sprite form.

Now, if you aren't subject to the Disadvantages of the sprite form while you are unconscious and regenerating, I might say you have to buy the Regeneration for your base form as well, and apply some kind of Only While Unconscious Limitation (the change in form could be a Special Effect), which I would have a hard time giving more than a -1/4 or -1/2.

Another idea is to actually make the sprite your base form, and make sure your Multiform isn't Persistent (this means you would always revert to this form when you are unconscious or Stunned).

How does one assign base form? Is that determined by which form actually buys the multiform power, or can it be one of the other forms?

If I can just assign base form to the vengeance sprite, then this is easy. I just take 'reversion' on the multiform power, and that'll do it. I may make the 'reversion' a zero point modifier to the power, though, since it both benefits me and causes problems (since I'll be the psychotic enraged guy when I regenerate myself awake -- this is sometimes quite inappropriate).

My idea for this power is that, when Zach or Gruk become knocked-out in combat, they cannot actively suppress the vengeance sprite any longer, and he comes out. While beneficial -- because he's really scary in a fight -- it is also disadvantageous, because he's a raving psychopath who wants to kill everything and hates everyone. Not truly berserk (he'd prefer to attack things that are fighting him, rather than prey on things that scream and run away), he'll still hurt friends or innocents if he has nothing else to hurt.

And yes, it is a very difficult character to play and still maintain the whole 'hero' concept (which is very important to the human, Zach).

DigitalGolem,

Yes, there are times when any of the other forms currently not in control can "insist" that they get control. The worst of these is obviously the vengeance sprite, since having him come out during a dinner party would be BAD. :)

However, under most circumstances, I can decide who is in control. The accidental change disad represents those rare occiasions when the GM disagrees with my choice of the 'in control' form (or when he just wants to screw with me. :) ). Even then, a roll is required for that to happen. For me to change forms normally, however, no roll is required -- I just change form and spend a phase to change and activate various powers.

I think that the 'uncontrolled change' would remove that freedom from me. In that case, the GM would decide on every occiasion when the forms changed. I'd prefer not to give my GM quite that much room to ruin my life. :)

I view this current build of the character as a mid-way stage of the three entities learning to live with eachother. Eventually, they will likely become a single form again, but with true cooperation among them. Character growth is good. :)

Thanks for the post. Hope this explains things better.

Originally posted by nuada

How does one assign base form? Is that determined by which form actually buys the multiform power, or can it be one of the other forms?

It is the form that actually buys the Multipower. It is usually (although I guess 5th edition loosened the restriction a bunch) also the most expensive form.

From your last description, it sounds like you might actually want the Multiform to be Persistent, with an Accidental Change that happenes when you are Knocked Out (or Stunned?).

Have you looked at the reversion limitation/advantage? If one of your other forms gets KO'd and you automatically switch to vengeance sprite, that sounds like reversion to me.

Depending on how powerful the forms are relative to one another, that could be an advantage, a disadvantage, or neutral.

EDIT: I see that you have. I would make the vengeance sprite be the "true form", i.e. the one that buys the multipower, and go from there. Making it the strongest form also means that you don't have to pay through the nose on a weaker form to buy your stronger forms.