T-Port via phone/electrical grid/computer

JeffreyWKramer

Hey, Steve!

This is a special effect/powerset question I've been trying to figure out how to work for a long time. Essentially, how can one duplicate the ability of the Atom (DC Comics) to travel virtually anywhere via making a phone call and traveling across the phone lines, or the villain 9-Jack-9 (Zot) to travel via from place to place instantly via the electric power grid? There are other characters who can do similar things via the Internet.

This would obviously seem like a sort of Teleport (using Mega-Scale in most cases), but how does one get around not being able to see the destination point and also not having it established as a memorized location?

I had a character in a campaign who had teleport through wiring. She also needed Clairsentience to see her destination.

Current Traveling: 10" Teleportation (Long Range 640"); Increased Range: ×64, +30; Limited Power (Only through wiring): Seriously, -½; Long Range: 640"; Long Range (miles): 0.79; Mass Multiplier: ×1, +0; Fixed Locations: 0; Floating Locations: 0

See Through Wiring: Clairsentience (Normal Sight); See: Present, +0; Dimensions: Current, +0; Range: 100"; Activation: 8-, -2; Limited Power (Only through wiring): Seriously, -½

The full character can be found at:

http://www.devodog.com/champions/default.asp?CampaignID=1

Choose the Heroes link then look at Mistress Volt.

Probably more technically a form of FTL. Current transmission speed is not instantaneous: it is a large percentage of c, however. IIRC, it is on the close order of 100,000 km/sec, subject to things like resistance and voltage and such.

At the time scale of the game, even if you can be transmitted via microwave to satellite, there is still at most a quarter-second delay. Therefore, it is usually a moot point.

However, if you were to try to get to the Moon that way, you're looking at an extra Segment; if you have a Mars comlink at c, it's about seven minutes or more.

Rarely if ever going to be an issue, but I had to be a physics geek.

I've always used Teleportation for this effect. The problem with using FTL Travel is that by the rules, FTL Travel can only be used in space, not in an atmosphere. As for the speed of travel not being at close to c, I just assumed that the little bit of time (1/2 or 1 phase) used for the Teleportation simply was the time it took for the character to enter and exit the electrical grid.

Rod

I don't think there's any reason Teleport cannot take a bit of time to happen. It is just Special Effects. I wouldn't use FTL; it is really meant for, "traval between the stars," IMHO.

By the way, I don't think the time is enough to really worry about, since you could travel around the circumference of the Earth like 7 times in one second (Segment).