Mental Damage Negation

Ockham's Spoon

Question

First off let me say that I am loving 6e, so thanks! One of my favorite new aspects is Damage Negation, esp. for representing invincibility, but I have a question as to its application for mental powers.

1. As I read it, Mental Damage Negation does not affect Mental Paralysis (Entangle) or a Mental-based Flash, but it will affect Drains and RKAs bought as Mental powers. Does Mental Damage Negation affect the dice of Telepathy, Mind Control, Mental Illusions, etc.?

2. If an attacker uses Mental Illusions to inflict damage, does Mental Damage Negation affect those dice?

Thanks for your help!

1 answer to this question

Re: Mental Damage Negation

1. As discussed on APG 86: "The GM can also allow characters to buy Damage Negation solely to apply to Mental attacks. Ordinarily Damage Negation affects Mental Blasts but no other Mental Powers. “Mental Damage Negation” affects all offensive Mental Powers, but no other abilities. (For these purposes the GM can consider powers that simulate Mental attacks [see 6E1 326] as “Mental Powers,” if desired.) Each -1 DC equals -1/2d6 of Mental Blast or -1d6 from a continuing-effect Mental Power."

2. Per 6E1 251, "The defense against damage from illusions is the appropriate defense for the illusory attack: PD for an illusory fist, ED for an illusory laser beam, and so forth (at the GM’s discretion, the victim may add any Mental Defense he has to such defenses)." Therefore, Damage Negation (Physical) would typically apply against an Illusion of a punch or gunshot, but the final decision's up to the GM -- he could allow a character to apply Damage Negation (Mental) instead or in addition.