Power/points Limits: "Normal" Superheroes

Keldon

Hi all, Im looking at running a champions campaign some time in the near future and have a question :)

What does everyone recommend for an active points limit on the players powers/defences?

In 5th ed we ran 60 active points for powers and 40 active for defences usually but im not sure if this should be changed for 6th ed?

Also am I right in thinking for a 5th ed 250 point campaign its now roughly 400 points?

I haven't got to the champions books yet, still reading the 2 core books front to back so im not sure if this is addressed in there ;)

Thanks for any help!

Re: Power/points Limits: "Normal" Superheroes

for 5e/5er 350 and 60-75 is the normal range (12 Damage Classes but up to 75 active points with Advantages).

for 6e 400 is the new 350. the range of power is roughly the same but the new abilities (like Damage Negation) mix things up nicely.

I think DCx2 is a good floor for base defenses but, depending on archetype, some character's defenses can be lower or much higher (especially when using power frameworks).

See the link in my sig below for my 'starting versions' of the Justice League for a range of 350 point 5er examples.

And for comparison here is a 400 point 6e version of Superman I recently posted.

DC x 2 was pretty much the upper limit when we last played!

I'm thinking >

12D6 max, up to 75 active < +1/4 then :) > and just using that as a flat limit across the board.

Im finding it difficult to impose a limit on defences that's fair for all the archetypes, A good limit for a speedster or Energy projector seems ridiculous for the 15 foot tall brick!

I guess things will end up more balanced by doing my job and taking an active part in character creation.

Your version of Mr S is interesting, well built, I dont expect anything that complex from my players after such a long break from Hero.

Glad to be of service. :D

Yeah, they are complicated builds.

A great deal of the complication for some was actually reducing their combat impact.

Superman is a special case in that like many examples in the source material, he (Mind Controlled or other Not so very heroic Kryptonians like Zod) will seem more powerful* when not constrained by his Code vs. Killing.

*Technically 'Mr. S' (Superman) can achieve 15+ DC attacks but will usually avoid this and 'Pull his Punches' vs. living targets for fear of violating his Code vs. Killing. So for practical purposes he still fits within the 'magical' 60/75 range while remaining recognizable as 'Superman'.