potential new player with 3 questions...

micronaut

hello. i'm considering picking up champions. my questions are:

1) does anyone play the game using an online role playing client like WebRPG? i have nobody in the area to play the game with and i think that would be more convenient for me anyway.

2) is it easy to modify the game for solo missions? like if i wanted to DM for 1 friend and have him play solo missions or to control a full super team by himself?

3) what are the best books to start with, besides the core rules?

thanks in advance for any advice. :)

1) I don't know.

2) Yes, heros like Spider-man and Batman are perfect for one on one gaming. One player running a team is not recomended until both of you are comfortable with the mechanics.

3) If you are a comic fan and familiar with the conventions of the genre, I would recomend Conquerors, Killers, and Crooks. On the one hand it is the "monster manual" of the game, on the other it serves as a seminar on character design. Plot seeds with each character should be enough to inspire a GM to some interesting adventures.

Re: potential new player with 3 questions...

Originally posted by micronaut

hello. i'm considering picking up champions. my questions are:

1) does anyone play the game using an online role playing client like WebRPG? i have nobody in the area to play the game with and i think that would be more convenient for me anyway.

2) is it easy to modify the game for solo missions? like if i wanted to DM for 1 friend and have him play solo missions or to control a full super team by himself?

3) what are the best books to start with, besides the core rules?

thanks in advance for any advice. :)

1. Yeah I have played a game using WebRPG, but if you want a really good game I suggest using hero Central

2.Yeah its dead easy, just like how you can play 3e with just one other person.

3. if your in it for the Super Hero thing get CKC, if not have heard good things about the Fantasy Hero book

1. I believe there are a whole passel of games being run out there online via OpenRPG, WebRPG, MU*, and so on. Undoubtedly some people on the boards here have first-hand experience and can tell you more; if you don't hear from 'em, post another thread with a title specifically related to what you want to know to attract their attention. ;)

2. It's as easy to use the HERO System for solo play as any other RPG system, I'd say.

3. Since you said "Champions," I'll confine my comments to that game line.

In addition to the 5E rulebook and Champions genre book, I think your best bets would be the following:

--Conquerors, Killers, And Crooks, to give you lots of pre-made villains, both to use and as examples for creating your own.

--The UNTIL Superpowers Database, which has about 3,300 pre-generated superpowers, making it easy for you to see how things are done with the system and quickly create characters.

--Champions Universe, if you don't already have a setting of your own to use (it also contains some characters you can use).

--VIPER, if you want lots of information on an evil organization and its agents and equipment, and on how to use agents in your games in general.

--Hero Designer, if you like creating characters by computer instead of by hand.

Good luck, and we hope you enjoy the game! If you have any other questions about the game line specifically, please feel free to get in touch with me at SteveL@herogames.com.