War Without End Part II

Bismark

Finally, the local University RPG society has a number of members with the excellent taste to volunteer to be guinea pigs - sorry - players in a Star HERO campaign run by yours truly.

I am still doing the characters at the moment so will have to add details about the campaign later, but it is basically a Space Opera tending towards the 'hard rubber' end of the spectrum (there is FTL - to make the whole thing work) but the number of rubber sciences is kept to a minimum and there are no psionics (which I always think of as magic under a different name) to speak of. Overall feel is Babylon 5 meets BSG meets Aliens.

The backdrop is a war that has ended recently (or more correctly, 'Round 1' has ended recently).

So far we have a shady ex-merc who is into the darker side of trading, an ex-military doctor, a hotshot pilot who is also a talented computer jockey and a crazy engineer (a Transhuman I for those people who remember Space Master), who I have given the Inventor Skill to under the name of 'Mad Science', and who could probably rebuild the entire stardrive from a set of spares and some duct tape in a matter of hours. 1 of the players has the 6e rules and has done 90% of his character himself, another has the 5th ed rules, and the other 2 are complete newbies to HERO. The characters are built on a total of 275pts including 50pts of Complications; they need those points because in SF I tend to use fairly narrow skill categories and the costs soon mount up.

Later today will be when they see their character sheets for the first time, we sort out equipment and introduce them to their ship (which is actually kind of paid for in full - for that read: 'they stole it off the base that produced it but the war trashed the ownership records and the computer jockey falsified some new ones'), before the first adventure starts.

"…and so, it begins…"