"May burn out if pushed"

McCoy

Shoot! I might give any power which is pushed a chance of burning out, using Long Term End, etc. This is supposed to happen very rarely, and I think it should be governed as much by GM license as by mechanics. Don't put any Limitations on the power. The GM may not even allow it to be pushed; should you really get a point rebate for that?

I have a house rule that covers this. I allow characters to Push up to their EGO with no adverse effects (other than END loss). Then I give them the option to Push even more, with an Ego roll, adding 5 more points to the amount they Push for every point they make their Ego Roll by (though I'm thinking of changing this to 5 points for every 2 points they make the roll by). The side effect there is that the Power they Push is then effectively Drained by the ammount Pushed, and then recoveres normally, causing it to effectively burn out for a while.

Originally posted by Dust Raven

I have a house rule that covers this. I allow characters to Push up to their EGO with no adverse effects (other than END loss). Then I give them the option to Push even more, with an Ego roll, adding 5 more points to the amount they Push for every point they make their Ego Roll by (though I'm thinking of changing this to 5 points for every 2 points they make the roll by). The side effect there is that the Power they Push is then effectively Drained by the ammount Pushed, and then recoveres normally, causing it to effectively burn out for a while.

Hmm. That's pretty cool. Maybe I'll try this. I would change it pretty drastically for Heroic games, but it sounds good for Superheros. I'm not sure about basing the amount on Ego, though, since your Ego roll is already what you use to boost it....

-1/4 is a bit much for something you're likely only going to use when you're going for a knock-out punch or a desperation strike; in both cases, you don't really care if it burns out. I could go for 1/8 if you/your GM support such a thing but that really is getting rather too granular for the system IMHO.

However, if your game is pulp and players regularly push just to do anything "dramatic", then sure, I"d go with 1/4. Just depends on game frequency really.

Originally posted by prestidigitator

Hmm. That's pretty cool. Maybe I'll try this. I would change it pretty drastically for Heroic games, but it sounds good for Superheros. I'm not sure about basing the amount on Ego, though, since your Ego roll is already what you use to boost it....

It's definately for Superheroic games.....I'd use the standard rules for Pushing for Heroic. I based it on EGO because I thought it made sense. Though I'm thinking of just changing it back to a flat 10 points. It doesn't really matter much anyway, my players rarely push so it hasn't been playtested much.