super (slight) hero online game. GM/players wanted!

yukonhorror

I said online, but if there are people in the Hampton Roads area of VA that want to play/GM, even better.

I was trying to run a HERO game (inspired by final fantasy), but it never took off. I still like the HERO system, and would still love to play in a HERO game.

I have never played in a super-heroic game, but I have always wanted to. I could NEVER run one well, but I'd love to play in one. I just wouldn't be able to come up with good missions/adventures. I have good ideas for general game concepts, but wouldn't know how to fill in the details. So this is a generic call for GM's and players alike to get together and play.

By "slight", I mean a bit lower powered than normal. Specifically only a 300 pt build. This would call for a team of heroes rather than being powerful enough to be on your own.

Some possible campaign ideas:

The eXiles - the timekeeper (a master of time and space) acts in a professor X capacity by delegating the team out to different places (worlds) and times to correct bad things or aid the world. It'd sort of be a combination of sliders and quantum leap. This affords a lot of opportunities for different settings, technology levels, etc... One mission may involve going to Earth-815 during the civil war to do ____, and the next go to a present-day Earth-9882 where super powers are literally non-existant to help them with ____, then go to a post-apocalyptic Earth-26 and overthrow the evil tyrant, etc...

When I first came across the eXiles, I thought it was a super cool concept, and great venue for a super hero RPG.

Breaking the Bat - a team of villains (more like Kingpin and his croney's, no "Joker" types). You gain ranks in the criminal organization (your powers could be your secret to success) by pulling certain jobs like the grand theft auto game. Rob banks, steal government technology, etc... You have to plan things out you wouldn't normally plan out as a protagonist. On the long-term, you'd overthrow the organization and bring down the super hero (i.e. batman) who is always on your case (hence "breaking the bat"). This would be tricky (for team cohesion and cooperation and still stay in character). Maybe establish the organization as Yakuza (honor above all) and you have a certain "code" where you don't severely harm innocents (but may knock them unconscious if they get in your way), kill/torture only when necessary, and so on.

I didn't know much about Bane from batman, but he was in my Lego game. As such, I looked into his story, and how he was able to break his back was mind-blowing. How clever and cool. This is what gave me inspiration for wanting to play in a villain campaign. This is never something you could do as a hero, but what a fun campaign concept.

Generic - the age-old, but still fun, super-heroic game. Taken from the GM's head as inspired by movies, comics, tv shows, whatever.

To me, there are two ways to run a super hero game. Either episodic or long-term over-arching campaign. Both have their bonuses. Episodic allows for a variety of "missions" and doesn't require cohesion (players can leave the game as they please). Long-term campaigns are great because of the interesting story that unfolds, the opportunities for interesting character development, and so on. I think any of the campaign ideas above could be episodic or over-arching.

Anyhoo, if interested, please reply. I have posted invites on other forums too. Maybe we can get enough together for a fun game.

Re: super (slight) hero online game. GM/players wanted!

If I may ask, Do you plan to run this game using voice chat? While PBP and Text games can have good roleplay, the pace leaves much to be desired and the social atmosphere suffers. Ive found audio based games far more socially satisfying and the pace of the game is drastically quicker. The simple reason is, you can actually hear the other players emotions and it posses the natural cadence of conversation. I cant play in anything else, it's simply too slow.

If so, I would be interested, and would wish to contact you via skype,aim,yim, or some other messanging service. We could speak via the forum and pm's if you really wish, but talking live is Far quicker. If not. I wish you luck with your campaign.

I might be able to be convinced to do voice chat. I don't hear well, so normally I don't like voice chat games (it is hard for me to follow what people are saying without seeing their lips move). However, I'd be willing to overcome my dislike for voice games to actually HAVE a game.

I plan to start an online game sometime about the start of the new year, but thats still a way away.

Really, why don't you just GM your own game? With a post like this--going into specifics about a game the poster is willing to define but not run-- I usually assume the poster is an individual who just wants to have his cake and eat it too, hogging all the fun parts of campaign creation while delegating the actual drudgework to someone dumb enough to let him. But I've reviewed your Final Fantasy adaptation work, which gives me a higher opinion of you. You've got specific, workable ideas for campaigns, an understanding of the game mechanics, and a demonstrated ability to actually do the work. If you were willing to be the GM, that makes you a valuable commodity. Limiting yourself to a mere participant, however, you become less desirable than a player who comes at the material with an open mind and less specific desires--very, very few GMs want run a game someone else defines.

I am giving suggestions. I'd be fine with the GM's idea, but sometimes a GM needs inspiration. Like with the FF game, I came across the FFRPG and was inspired. But, I didn't come up with the story myself. I would run the game, BUT, I wouldn't have the faintest idea of how to run a fun story. I have general ideas, but a cohesive non-railroad campaign would be out of my reach. With regards to the FF game, I am planning on running final fantasy 7 with very few modifications.

Heck, I'd do the drudge work (make bad guys, make maps, etc...) if the GM wanted me to. I understand the mechanics, and I have good general ideas, but specifics overwhelm me.

In any case, if the FF game craps out or something else doesn't prevent me from playing, I'll definitely join up to your online game.

I am interested too. I have a friend in TX who has been looking for an online game. We used to play when he lived here in TN. I've never done this via online, text, or voice but I like the game and I am open to the idea.

I feel inclined to say two things. First, I am not the GM. Unless someone can supply me with some sort of module (which I can rework to fit the overall campaign idea), I wouldn't feel comfortable running a fun game.

Second, online games are not the same as live games, but it is better than nothing. I think they are fun and work well.