Weapon combat Archtypes

djkester

Hey all,

I'm working on my campaign world and ran into a question I thought I'd bring here and get your feedback on.

I am developing the campaign guide for my players around the idea of systems and templates. When it comes to weapon fighting I've been reading with interest many of the posts here about modeling weapon capabilities with point by and looking through the materials in the books as well. So i'm getting some understanding of the mechanical structures available to me as I work on this campaign guide.

However, one question I have is how many different models to allow. So to come up with this I've devised the idea of gathering the archtypes that players may want to play and then reverse engineering them to a template, or structure.

I have thought of the following three primary archtypes:

1. Weapon centric. The attack and damage come mostly from use of a weapon + stats. In Archtype terms I'm thinking of a D&D fighter here.

2. Skill centric. The damage is a combination of weapons + stats + skill. In archtype terms I'm mostly thinking of assassins and rogues here. Back stab, sensitive area attacks.

3. Hand to Hand or Martial arts. The attack and damage come from the skill + stats. In the context of the Fantasy campaign I'm thinking of the D&D Monk as the archtype here.

What other archtypes do you think are important to for a fantasy campaign?

Happy listing.

Re: Weapon combat Archtypes

Tank - defense rather than offense oriented [large body/stun/defense]

Sniper - ranged attacks

Skirmisher - speed and mobility

Thanks, for these suggestions.

I think I'm going to need to address the defensive systems as well for the campaign. Since I'm going for a heavily magiced and augmented world its going to take some thought.

Heavy Armor + skill

Light Armor + skill + powers/abilities

No Armor + skill + powers/abilities

The goal will be to allow for players to have very different ways of building their character so that the play feels very different between different characters they make. So balancing all the different ways you can build a heroic character's defensive plan will take some thought. I don't want to put to many limitations in place. For example:

Armor or damage reduction

DCV or being missed

Walls or shields as primary defense

etc...

Thanks again.