Adding Damage

dsatow

Question

I know this is a newbie style question, but I want to make sure that I got adding damage correct with respect to martial arts. To be honest, I am getting a little confused where the extra DCs for martial arts adds. To the base or the maneuver?

For the sake of the argument, the super ninja, Silent Bob, has a martial strike, martial throw, nerve strike, and killing strike. He has +2 DC with martial arts. He also has an 1d6+1 HKA, 2d6 AVAD(NND), and 4d6 HA. Silent bob has a 15 strength.

Can you verify that I got the following correct.

1. The nerve strike gets no added bonus in any instance and only does 3d6.
  2. The martial strike does 11d6. 3d6 for strength+4d6 for HA creating a 7d6 base. He gets +4d6 more from the maneuver and the bonus damage classes. Is this correct or is his base actually 9d6?
  3. The killing strike is done similarly. 1d6+1 HKA with the base killing attack pumped by strength 2d6+1 base. +1d6 for the maneuver would give a total of 3d6+1 Killing Attack.
  4. If a character(not Bob) had a 10 strength and an offensive strike, he would only do 4d6 because his strength is too low as a base. If he bought 2 DCs with the martial maneuver, he would do 8d6 as the 2 DCs would effectively add to his base.

1 answer to this question

Re: Adding Damage

Given the way you've phrased this question I'm not sure I always understand what you're asking. Therefore I'm going to have to rephrase them in my answer to answer.

1. If a character has a basic Nerve Strike (NND 2d6) and has bought +2 Extra DCs for his Martial Arts, his Nerve Strike does 3d6 damage. Neither STR nor outside AVADs add to a Nerve Strike under the standard HERO System rules.

2. If a character has STR 15 and a basic Martial Strike (+2d6 damage), he does 5d6 with that attack. If he's bought +2 Extra DCs for his Martial Arts, that increases to 7d6. If he has an outside HA +4d6 that the GM rules can be combined with the Martial Strike, he's up to 11d6.

3. If a character has STR 15 and a basic Killing Strike (KA 1/2d6), he does 1.5d6 Killing with that attack. If he's bought +2 Extra DCs for his Martial Arts, that increases to 2d6+1 Killing. An outside KA (such as, say, claws) doesn't add to Martial Arts Killing Damage under the standard HERO System rules.

4. If a character has STR 10 and an Offensive Strike (+4d6 damage), he does 6d6 when using that Maneuver. Unless I'm forgetting something (which is always possible ;) ), there's no standard HERO System rule that requires a character to have a defined minimum STR to use a given Martial Maneuver.