Robotech Veritech VF-1A conversion (work in progress)

Mathew

I recently spent some time converting the Veritech VF-1A fighter to Hero 4th edition rules, and came up with this:

VF-1ABattroidmode.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~mathewignash/PDFs/VF1A.pdf

For simplicity sake I decided to not use a multiform, just a shape shift with some of their propulsion and weapons systems lmited to what forms they can be used it, since that's really the only thing that changes in different forms - how it moves and the choice of weapons.

I gave it a 24 Dex and 5 speed since this translates to a 24 Dex and 6 attacks per melee in the Robotech game, since that's a good high end human stat. Size weight is based on the ship's actual stats.

Body is based on converting MDC of the main body, arms, legs, head and pilot's compartment to Robotech hit points, then basing it on doubling every point. So one HP is one Body, 2 Hp is 2 Body, 4 HP is 3 Body, etc. I gave him armor based on MDC convering to DEF in the same way.

I didn't put any limited of manipulation on the extra limbs, since they have those small retractable arms that come out of the main one.

The Propulsion Systems Multipower has a limitation that each slot works only in one form. So you have a Running and a Flight for Battloid, Guardian and Jet modes. In jet and Guardian mode it still has the base 6 inches of running, for taxiing around, but in those modes Flight is the main way it gets around. I might add some swimming once I review the underwater rules.

Weapons Multipower is also based on a similar conversion that I did for the Body from HP, only I used the max damage for the attack and converted it into 1D6 normal attack, also doubling. I gave each attack enough charges, Autobot and range increases to account for the stats of the real attack. The missiles were the most expensive, having 6 that could fire at once and go hundreds of miles meant 6 charges, 10 Autofire and LOTS of range increases. I know the Robotech rules say the high powered lasers in the nose only work in Jet mode, but I let them work in Jet and Guardian mode, since they are RIGHT THERE in Guardian mode. Only the Battloid mode moves them to where it would be difficult to use. I put the self-destruct in the Weapons multipower, it's a Body drain that should destroy the ship inside one turn.

The sensors and special equipment were all based on the extra listed in Robotech that mecha have. With enough telescopic levels for the Radar to allow it to cover the area it can see (and this allows one to fire the missiles at a target miles away!)

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Re: Robotech Veritech VF-1A conversion (work in progress)

All in all, it seems like a solid writeup. It would be nice to see other mecha converted in order to get a sense of relative power. Not that I remember too much from the old Robotech RPG. Not enough to accurately judge anyway.

I have converted about a half dozen mecha. The Veritech is the most expensive, with the Alpha slightly cheaper. Although neither is written with the game mechanics of Champions in mind. You could probably make a vehicle for less points that could beat it in a fight.

One thing really overpowered when converted from Robotech to Champions is missiles. For instance the Alpha fighter has 60 missiles, all of which can be fired in one shot, have a range of miles... so that's tons of Autofire, area effect and charges. The way I converted it an Alpha firing all it's missiles at a target does over 900 Body!

Here is the main nemesis to the VF-1A, the Zentraedi Battle Pod.

Mcr130l.jpg

Battle Pod - http://home.comcast.net/~mathewignash/PDFs/BATPOD.pdf

As I recall, when Robotech mecha and AFVs cut loose with missiles, they usually did so in wholesale quantities. Definitely not 'One Shot, One Kill', for the most part.

With this in mind, rather than having 60-odd shots (missiles) per fully-loaded Alpha fighter, maybe rule that it has a considerably smaller number of large Area-effect Attacks (each being basically a salvo or "pattern" of several missiles).

• 2 weeks later...

While that does make sense in gaming terms, I was converting the original Robotech RPG, and in that you can fire one missile to 60 missiles. It's not like it's impossible to do in Champions rules, it's just equally costly in points AND very powerful. Of course a jet fighter firing 60 missiles at someone probably should do a LOT of damage anyways, so it's appropriate.

I've also bee rewatching the TV series and making notes as to whether things are possible with the rules I write. For instance I can watch and see that in the show a single shot from a certain weapon can kill a bioroid or battle pod. So I want to make sure that it's possible to do this in my conversions. Would a single shot with the weapon, that happened to hit a critical spot, and did max damage, be able to disable the target? If not in my rules, but they do it in the show, I have to adjust something. I know it's a bit of artistic license that the hero in a TV series can just do one shot with a small gun and take out an enemy mecha, but I want the conversion to be realistic to the TV series.

BTW - Here is the Officer's Battle Pod

Macross-glaug-battle-pod.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~mathewignash/PDFs/BATPODOF.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

I've also bee rewatching the TV series and making notes as to whether things are possible with the rules I write. For instance I can watch and see that in the show a single shot from a certain weapon can kill a bioroid or battle pod. So I want to make sure that it's possible to do this in my conversions. Would a single shot with the weapon' date=' that happened to hit a critical spot, and did max damage, be able to disable the target? If not in my rules, but they do it in the show, I have to adjust something. I know it's a bit of artistic license that the hero in a TV series can just do one shot with a small gun and take out an enemy mecha, but I want the conversion to be realistic to the TV series.[/quote']

Fair enough. Though the "one shot one kill" thing could conceivably be due to the high-level skills (/ other special abilities?) of the person doing the shooting, rather than the hardware itself. As I (vaguely) recall, the "ace" types might do this all the time, but the rank-and-file .... not so much.

VERY nice pic, by the way.