Potions and Scrolls with a Framework Magic System

Armitage

I was thinking about how to do the ability to create potions and scrolls in a D&D-style magic system that uses Power Frameworks, like Killer Shrike's adaptation. Wizards and clerics use a Variable Power Pool; sorcerers and bards use a Multipower.

Rather than creating the items as unique powers, like in Fantasy Hero, or simply saying "You create the item", could I work within the system to create Talents for these items?

This method assumes that 1st-level spells are 30 Active Points. Each additional level is +20 Active Points, so +1 caster level equates to +1 Power Skill.

Requires a Skill Roll can be added to either as desired.

Brew Potion: Delayed Effect (+1/4) for up to 70 Active Points of Spells (17 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Day, or more, -4), OAF Fragile Expendable (Extremely Difficult to obtain new Focus; Expensive ingredients; -2 1/4), 1 Charge (-2), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (0 DCV; -1).

Total cost: 2 points to create INT/5, EGO/5, or PRE/5 potions, depending on the ability used to cast spells.

x2 potions: 3 points

x4 potions: 5 points

x8 potions: 7 points

x16 potions: 8 points

Scribe Scroll: Delayed Effect (+1/4) for up to 190 Active Points of Spells (47 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Day, or more, -4), OAF Fragile Expendable (Extremely Difficult to obtain new Focus; Expensive spell ink; -2 1/4), 1 Charge (-2), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (0 DCV; -1), Incantations (-1/4), Requires Light To Use (-1/4)

Total cost: 4 points to create INT/5, EGO/5, or PRE/5 scrolls, depending on the ability used to cast spells.

x2 scrolls: 9 points

x4 scrolls: 13 points

x8 scrolls: 18 points

x16 scrolls: 22 points

This will obviously cost less if the character limits the Naked Advantage to the level of his current spell casting ability. It would only cost 1 point to create Ability/5 30 Active Point spells.

Once per day, the character can apply Delayed Effect to one of the Powers in his Framework, creating a potion or scroll. Per 6E1 315, this would require GM permission, since it's applying a Naked Advantage to a Framework slot, but it doesn't seem too unbalancing.

Re: Potions and Scrolls with a Framework Magic System

I did something very similar for expendable magic items, but used Trigger (+1/4), and Useable By Others (+1/4) if the spell effect could be directed by the triggering person rather than effecting them directly or otherwise going off at the point of triggering. Since I allowed any number of triggers to be set at any given time, I controlled the flow of items into the gameworld by requiring extra time, hard to find ingredients, and/or significant side effects when the trigger setting spell was cast.

Re: Potions and Scrolls with a Framework Magic System

I usually give Potions a Gestures limitation. They're not quite as easy to use as a gun; you can slap your hand over somebody's mouth to prevent them drinking, but sticking your finger in a trigger is much harder.