Detecting a Continuing effect mental power

Fearghus

I am planning an adventure for my group, and one of the NPCs has more or less been seriously messed up by mentalists in the past. Messed up to the point that he is still acting under the effects of several different compulsions. With out going too much into depth he is a superhuman that was "trained" by an evil secretive group to basically be a totally loyal lap dog...

How the mental conditioning is built might be an interesting discussion, but that isn't my question.

My question is... could the mental awareness of a mentalist detect the conditioning this poor soul has undergone and under what conditions would you allow them to detect it?

I have am pretty sure I have decided that the mentalists in my game will detect the conditioning once they interact with his mind... so not until they attack will they know. But I am interested to see how everyone else would deal with this.

Re: Detecting a Continuing effect mental power

It doesn't sound like the sort of thing that Mental Awareness would spot... that would be more for noticing someone sending active mental commands in the present or even the presence of a foreign psyche possessing him. I'd say it would require someone using Telepathy to spot the past influence of mental powers on his thought processes. (Or perhaps postcognitive Clairsentience with a Mental Awareness component to make the actual events in which he was given the compulsions come to light.)

Re: Detecting a Continuing effect mental power

Mental Awareness only detects the use of mental powers. A mental power that has long term effects like Mental Transform or Mind Control are only active when first used. I'm not sure if you can detect them if the mentalist is still feeding END into them to prevent Breakout Roll increases though.