Healing: Two different healing powers

CptPatriot

Question

Hi, Steve. I was trying to simulate two different powers in Champions Online; Personal Force Field and Field Surge.

I wrote up PFF as the following:

Personal Force Field Belt, all slots OIF (-1/2)

1) Force Field: Resistant Protection (8 PD/8 ED) (Impermeable) (24 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Only when linked Stun and Body are not expended (-1/4)

2) +30 STUN (15 Active Points); Cannot heal from personal REC (-1/2), OIF (-1/2), Linked (Force Field; Greater Power is Constant or in use most or all of the time; -1/4), Does not affect consciousness (-1/4)

3) +10 BODY (10 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Linked (Force Field; Greater Power is Constant or in use most or all of the time; -1/4), Does not affect dying (-1/4)

4) Force Field Recharge: [highlight]Healing STUN / BODY 0 1/2d6 (standard effect: 1 point), Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset; When the STUN of Personal Force Field takes damage; +1/4), Persistent (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Expanded Effect (x2 Characteristics or Powers simultaneously) (Stun & Body; +1/2), Constant (+1/2), Decreased Re-use Duration (1 Turn; +1 1/2), Damage Over Time (12 damage increments, damage occurs every Segment, can be negated by Force Field Drains; +4 1/2) (45 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Does Not Work On Some Damage ([Rare attack]; Force Field Drains; -1/4), Only vs Force Field's linked Stun (-1/4)[/highlight]

This is the writeup for Field Surge:

[highlight]Field Surge: (Total: 40 Active Cost, 40 Real Cost) Aid Stun of PFF 2 1/2d6 (standard effect: 7 points) (Real Cost: 15) plus Healing STUN 2 1/2d6 (standard effect: 7 points) (Real Cost: 25)[/highlight]

While a critique of the writeups are welcome, my question is how the heals would interact.

I initially thought each would work independently but after reading the rules, I started having doubts.

Assuming the Stun of the PFF took 10 damage, if I used Field Surge, would it simply stop the Force Field Recharge from working for 7 segments? Would it not work at all because the Force Field Recharge would be active when the damage was done?

Thanks for your time, Steve.

1 answer to this question

Re: Healing: Two different healing powers

Since the "maximum effect" rules for Healing apply even when a single character uses two separate Healing powers (6E1 233), the Field Surge power can only apply additional Healing to the extent its roll exceeds the Force Field Recharge roll (and its own prior rolls, of course). Since both powers use the Standard Effect Rule to define how much Healing they can apply, as soon as the Recharge is used it's going to prevent the use of the Surge, and using either power will effectively prevent further uses of that same power since they have no chance to exceed the prior "roll."

As a perhaps deeper issue, or source of the problem, I at least would rule the Recharge illegal because you seem to be trying to build Regeneration -- the rules specifically state that Persistent can't be applied to Healing. If you rebuild the Recharge using Regeneration (perhaps using the rules for Regenerating Characteristics other than BODY from APG 114), I think you'll eliminate at least some of the problems described above.