Area Shield

Christopher

We all know the personal Shield generators (of a person or a ship).

Those are simple: Protection that cost's Endurace to Maintain.

Area Shields (like the one form Atlantis* or Gorilla City) that affect both energy and Physical world and block both ways are also pretty easy:

Barrier (most likely megascaled).

(*technically Atlantis shield didn't affect the drones fired by it, so maybe a personal shield for the vehicle fit's it better).

But what about an Area Shield that only Blocks Energy or Only Block Physical attacks, but that in both directions.

Example: The Gungan shield in Episode 1 (Affects Energy, but not Physical; blocks both ways):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf2-upmDYyU&feature=player_detailpage#t=81s

How would you build it?

Edit: The right time is 1:21 or 81 Seconds, but the forum doesn't gets the link right to jump to that timeindex

Re: Area Shield

Can the shield be broken down by enough firepower? If not, I would consider an AoE Drain, using the "Suppression Field" option - i.e, any attack that passes through it is reduced.

If it can be - IIRC, there's a Transparent option for Barrier, either in the core or in the APG.

Can the shield be broken down by enough firepower? If not, I would consider an AoE Drain, using the "Suppression Field" option - i.e, any attack that passes through it is reduced.

If it can be - IIRC, there's a Transparent option for Barrier, either in the core or in the APG.

The Drain is interesting, especially since you only need the dome/circle to be affected.

However there is only one Way Transparent and it's only for certain attacks, so the core rules won't work. If somebody knows the AGP and a rule for that there, it could help.

The shield can be broken down with enough firepower. For the mechanic (if we use transparent/desodified barrier): The shield has pretty high BODY and Defenses. When the Shield get's body damage, the generator "reactivates" the power to heal the body damage and seal any breaks (that is why a generators END can be drained by enough firepower in short time).

This gives me another Idea: What if the shield has low body and PD (maybe 1 BODY and 0 PD), but the "reactivation" just heals the hole from something physical passing through? It's still so weak against physical, a casual STR of 5 should be enough to get through and most attacks would just have beam (even the Tank Gun with AOE).

Energy Barrier: Resistant Protection (20 ED/20 Power Defense) (Protect Carried Items), Area Of Effect (8m Radius; +1/2), Usable Nearby (+1) (175 Active Points); Only Versus "Energy Blasters" or the like (-1/2), Target Cannot Attack "Out" Of Field with Energy Blasters (or the like) (-1/2), OIF (Shield Generator; -1/2), Costs Endurance (-1/2) [Total Cost: 58]

Use Resistant Protection, Modified appropriately.

Energy Barrier: Resistant Protection (20 ED/20 Power Defense) (Protect Carried Items), Area Of Effect (8m Radius; +1/2), Usable Nearby (+1) (175 Active Points); Only Versus "Energy Blasters" or the like (-1/2), Target Cannot Attack "Out" Of Field with Energy Blasters (or the like) (-1/2), OIF (Shield Generator; -1/2), Costs Endurance (-1/2) [Total Cost: 58

Use Resistant Protection, Modified appropriately.

The only vs. Blaster is not nessesary, as it already only vs. Energy and Power Defense attacks.

Had a slimiar idea, but I see the folowing problems:

The enemy can't run into it/You can't shoot others intside the field without protection

It can't be overwhelmed by attacks that do nearly enogh damage to get throug.

It doesn't blocks the STUN nearly as good as the BODY (normal STUN is roughly 3 times the BODY rolled). The Body Part of 10d6 is guaranteed to be blocked, but the stun is guaranteed to get through.

The only vs. Blaster is not nessesary, as it already only vs. Energy and Power Defense attacks.

Had a slimiar idea, but I see the folowing problems:

The enemy can't run into it/You can't shoot others intside the field without protection

It can't be overwhelmed by attacks that do nearly enogh damage to get throug.

It doesn't blocks the STUN nearly as good as the BODY (normal STUN is roughly 3 times the BODY rolled). The Body Part of 10d6 is guaranteed to be blocked, but the stun is guaranteed to get through.

The "Only Vs Blaster" is necessary as many things may go against ED - fire, lightning, "hard light", radiation, or any number of SFX in any given campaign. The value may change from campaign to campaign however.

1. I'll think on blocking the enemy. . .

2. Add Ablative so it can be overwhelmed

3. increase the levels, or add 'Damage Negation' on top of it

The "Only Vs Blaster" is necessary as many things may go against ED - fire' date=' lightning, "hard light", radiation, or any number of SFX in any given campaign. The value may change from campaign to campaign however.[/quote']

It fit the concept if it stops lightnig and radiation. The orthers might be so minor, that being affected isn't problematic.

2. Add Ablative so it can be overwhelmed

3. increase the levels, or add 'Damage Negation' on top of it

How about direct Damage neagation with Ablative, perhaps using the alternative way for ablation (-5 AP/Hit that's to strong)?

If you use multiple layers of those (for easily breakeable shields) and maybe have a way to replace one layer with a fresh one (for high end cost), this could allow to mimic any version of such a shield...

I've got to make the math on that Idea.

The "Only Vs Blaster" is necessary as many things may go against ED - fire' date=' lightning, "hard light", radiation, or any number of SFX in any given campaign. The value may change from campaign to campaign however.[/quote']

Acid is the SFX that gets given 'energy resistance' that muddles up many of these energy based defenses

Okay, haven't dicided yet how to apply it to a lot of people, so I just try to do this with a personal shield first:

Energy Damage Negation, 12 DC (60 AP); Ablative (-5 AP per Attack that isn't completely negated; -1), Cost Endurance to maintain (-1/2), Increased Endurance (x3 END, only to activate; -1/2); 20 Real Cost

So what to you guys think? It includes being overwhelmend and being reinforced (at a high END price).