hi steve

Archie (08:00.19 PM)

wolfman

Indiana Joe (08:00.21 PM)

Hi Steve

Gregory (08:00.38 PM)

small group tonight

Steven S. Long (08:00.41 PM)

Hope everyone's doing well this evening.

Archie (08:01.07 PM)

ya, taking a break from DEXCON to be here.

Rod Currie (08:01.08 PM)

cool -- I played Invisible Agent when he ran it a few years ago

Indiana Joe (08:01.18 PM)

Things are resolving themselves. :-)

Steven S. Long (08:01.42 PM)

Darren's "all-star" games are usually a lot of fun. :)

Archie (08:02.14 PM)

Looking forward to the Champions LARP on Saturday

Steven S. Long (08:02.18 PM)

We'll give it a few minutes more and I'll start announcements -- just in case there are any stragglers. :)

Narf the Mouse (08:02.51 PM)

Hi, Steve

Lord Liaden (08:02.53 PM)

And in I come a' stragglin'. ;)

Rod Currie (08:04.16 PM)

I hopoe to make it down to DEXCON one of these years -- maybe next year with Origins being a month earlier

Steven S. Long (08:04.39 PM)

I enjoyed DexCon the one year I was a guest there.

Rod Currie (08:04.40 PM)

um, hope not hopoe :)

Gregory (08:04.57 PM)

whats a hopoe? :)

Chris Reynolds (08:05.22 PM)

It's kind of like a hobo but not quite

Lord Liaden (08:05.37 PM)

A nomadic Hobbit?

Steven S. Long (08:05.40 PM)

It's a Canadian hobo. :)

Indiana Joe (08:05.52 PM)

I've done teh hobo thing at cons... wasn't pretty.

Lord Liaden (08:06.17 PM)

Computer's still eating my posts - this could be a long night. :(

Rod Currie (08:07.34 PM)

Archie, you should post about the Champions LARP on the boards - will be interesting to hear how it works out

Steven S. Long (08:07.54 PM)

OK, time for announcements!

Archie (08:08.04 PM)

I intend to and possibly video also

Steven S. Long (08:08.11 PM)

First up, as you know we were at Origins recently... and as usual we had a great time!

It was a lot of work, since we were running the IPR booth as well as our own, but sales were steady. And we were using Square for the first time to process transactions, which turned out to be *awesome.*

Chris Reynolds (08:09.02 PM)

Until you ran into my card that didn't want to read...

Steven S. Long (08:09.12 PM)

One of the hghlights of the show was Rod Currie's "Champions 30th Anniversary" game, which Darren, Jason, and myself played in; you can read more about it in last week's news update.

Dave Mattingly also helped out by playing Foxbat. :)

Rod Currie (08:09.50 PM)

and contributed a lot of good ideas to the game

Steven S. Long (08:10.13 PM)

Our new release for the show was THE HERO SYSTEM GRIMOIRE, which we had a few of specially printed up for the con. We sent the remainder on to GenCon and should be getting the full shipment into the warehouses at some point soon; I'm not sure on the exact scheduling of that.

Lord Liaden (08:10.14 PM)

I can see Dave as Foxbat. :D

Hopefully hardcopies of the Grimoire will quiet a few of the forum gadflies.

Steven S. Long (08:11.20 PM)

The IPR big new thing was Jason Morningstar's excellent FIASCO COMPANION, which also sold well. And the Evil Hat folx, Fred Hick and co., took home two Origins Awards for the Dresden File RPG!

Archie (08:13.08 PM)

BRB, need to get food before stores around the Hyatt shutdown

Steven S. Long (08:13.21 PM)

Now that I'm back, I've been hard at work (and so has everyone else; poor Darren had to turn around and head out to DexCon this weekend after having barely recovered from the last con!).

Lord Liaden (08:13.53 PM)

That's why Darren pays himself the big bucks. :)

Steven S. Long (08:14.09 PM)

My first chore was to finish up THE ADVANCED PLAYER'S GUIDE II, which I did earlier this week!

Rod Currie (08:14.26 PM)

which in the game industry is about $1.98 a week :)

Steven S. Long (08:14.27 PM)

It's now on its way to layout, and it's chock-full of all sorts of interesting new rules and related stuff for your HERO System games.

Gregory (08:14.34 PM)

how many pages for the APG2 guide?

orjust APG2?

Narf the Mouse (08:15.32 PM)

Many many, I'd guess.

Gregory (08:16.17 PM)

$1.98/week? before or after deductions? :)

Chris Reynolds (08:16.26 PM)

before of course

Narf the Mouse (08:16.33 PM)

Gross.

Lord Liaden (08:16.48 PM)

Steve -- how were sales on the IPR side of the con over all?

Steven S. Long (08:16.48 PM)

Gregory -- don't know yet; it hasn't been laid out.

I'd guess 124-144, but that's a shot in the dark right now.

LL -- just fine. I think overall it forecasts a strong GenCon. Nothing like last year, when the DFRPG was new, but still quite a good year I'm thinking.

Thomas (08:17.31 PM)

What would you say are the biggest additions in APG2?

Steven S. Long (08:18.00 PM)

Thomas -- well, there are several new optional Powers, but I'd say the biggest things are probably the Social Combat rules. And maybe the expanded rules for designing Foci.

Third, now that APG2 is done, I have moved on to THE BOOK OF THE EMPRESS. I started up a What Do You Want To See thread on the Champions board, so stop by and give me your two cents' worth if'n you're interested. :)

Gregory (08:18.45 PM)

foci with brainnnssss!!!!

Steven S. Long (08:19.18 PM)

Well, possibly. :)

Lord Liaden (08:19.20 PM)

Oho, better try to scrounge up a couple of cents! Do you take Canadian?

Steven S. Long (08:19.38 PM)

LL -- yes, at the usual rates of exchange. :)

Lord Liaden (08:19.55 PM)

Then you'll owe me. :P

Narf the Mouse (08:21.47 PM)

*Waves a Canadian Flag*

Lord Liaden (08:22.01 PM)

I wonder if anyone has told the real George, Steve, and Ray about Foxbat's plan to shanghai them?

Steven S. Long (08:22.05 PM)

The thread has already yielded some good ideas and suggestions, as expected. Also some suggestions that are waaay too big to pursue. ;)

LL -- I told Ray.

Rod Currie (08:23.12 PM)

actually, since Ray played a big part in getting me to run games at cons, it's all his fault in a way :)

Lord Liaden (08:23.24 PM)

I'm often surprised at the unrealistic expectations some people seem to have about the outcome to expect from a WDYWTS thread.

Steven S. Long (08:23.58 PM)

LL -- I think that's all par for the course. Ask for opinions about something online, you'll get a wide range of things, particularly in a hobby as diverse as RPGing.

They're always valuable to me, one way or t'other. ;)

Dave Mattingly (08:24.57 PM)

Howdy, gang.

9:00 sneaked up on me.

Steven S. Long (08:25.02 PM)

Hi Dave!

9:00 is tricky that way.

Dave Mattingly (08:25.22 PM)

9:00. We hates it! We hates it forever!

Rod Currie (08:25.23 PM)

hey dave

Lord Liaden (08:25.26 PM)

Hi, Foxb... uh, Dave!

Dave Mattingly (08:25.55 PM)

My one regret in the 30th Anniversary game was forgetting to explain Foxbat's "real" origin. That he was bitten by a radioactive game show host.

Indiana Joe (08:26.21 PM)

I thought that was Wink Martindale's origin?

Lord Liaden (08:26.22 PM)

Huh. I thought that was the Galloping Galooper.

Dave Mattingly (08:26.44 PM)

Foxbat can change his origin anytime he wants. It's one of his special abilities.

Lord Liaden (08:28.35 PM)

Just looked in on the Empress thread -- pretty darn busy! I'd better see if I have any suggestions left that haven't already been brought up.

Dave Mattingly (08:28.41 PM)

Archie, I second the idea to post about the Champions LARP on the boards. I'd like to hear about it.

Narf the Mouse (08:28.48 PM)

...Doesn't "Radioactive game show host" contain a redundancy?

Steven S. Long (08:29.13 PM)

LL -- yup, it was slow getting started, but once it got going some good ideas poured in. If nothing else, some of the questions people ask make me think about things.

Lord Liaden (08:29.32 PM)

Narf -- no, that's "toxic game show host." ;)

Steven S. Long (08:30.46 PM)

I'm sure the next thread I start, about Mythic Hero, will be even busier. ;)

Dave Mattingly (08:30.47 PM)

I can't believe GenCon is so close.

Matthew Martin (08:30.59 PM)

What's the current pantheon list for that one?

Dave Mattingly (08:31.02 PM)

I'm completely unprepared.

Steven S. Long (08:31.21 PM)

Yeah, Dave, just a few weeks. Trying to decide which route to drive, but either way should be a decent drive.

Dave Mattingly (08:32.41 PM)

If all goes according to BlackWyrm's Master Plan (Foxbat helped), we'll have a big pile of Star Hero supplments with us.

Narf the Mouse (08:32.51 PM)

@LL: Ah; good correction.

Steven S. Long (08:33.00 PM)

We're just going to have STAR HERO itself. ;)

Narf the Mouse (08:33.29 PM)

So, at GenCon, you're going to Star Hero?

*Baps self*

Dave Mattingly (08:33.36 PM)

We'll be running a special. Buy Star Hero, get a BlackWyrm supplment at regular price.

Rod Currie (08:33.46 PM)

sorry to hear that Foxbat helped, Dave -- I assume you would've had a bigger pile :)

if he hadn't

Dave Mattingly (08:34.03 PM)

He shared all those leftover XPs.

Well, I'm going to get back to editing a novel.

Catch you guys around.

Steven S. Long (08:35.51 PM)

have fun!

Dave Mattingly (08:35.55 PM)

See some of you in person next month.

Rod Currie (08:35.59 PM)

take care Dave

Indiana Joe (08:35.59 PM)

Yeah, doubling the amount of copies of Star Hero you have for +5 poinbts really adds up.

Rod Currie (08:36.07 PM)

lol

Thomas (08:38.33 PM)

Is there anything in Star Hero devoted to the technological singularity? Such as personality recording and storage and how to handle that in Hero terms? Mental stats only for char sheet phys stats used like vehicles for example?

or anything else to cover that concept...

Steven S. Long (08:39.40 PM)

Thomas -- no.

Thomas (08:39.44 PM)

sorry I was looking for the wdywts thread and couldn't find it.

ahh ok.

Steven S. Long (08:39.47 PM)

That sounds more setting-specific to me.

Thomas (08:39.58 PM)

cyber hero then, perhaps? :)

Steven S. Long (08:40.02 PM)

If we ever decide to do an APG3, ask me again... maybe it could go in there. ;)

Thomas (08:40.13 PM)

You can bet on it.

Steven S. Long (08:40.20 PM)

Possibly... but I doubt it. I'm not sure I want to open that particular Pandora's box.

Thomas (08:40.34 PM)

Thanks

Steven S. Long (08:40.39 PM)

In the meantime, I suggest just handling it as a plot device. That usually works pretty well. :)

Thomas (08:41.12 PM)

Infinite character rearrangements ;)

I saw that.. it's going into the campaign, just hopinh for something official in the new book, but thanks for the reference

Steven S. Long (08:45.17 PM)

All right, folx, I think I'm going to end the chat a bit early tonight. Gotta return a call 'fore it gets too late.

See you next week, same time same place!

In the meantime... see ya on the boards. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Re: July 7, 2011 Hero Chat archive

Thanks for doing this. I reformatted your chat log to make it a bit easier to read. Note the forum software made me delete all the smilies because there were "too many images".

Steven S. Long (08:00.08 PM) Good evening Herophiles!!

Rod Currie (08:00.12 PM) hey steve

Gregory (08:00.17 PM) hi steve

Archie (08:00.19 PM) wolfman

Indiana Joe (08:00.21 PM) Hi Steve

Gregory (08:00.38 PM) small group tonight

Steven S. Long (08:00.41 PM) Hope everyone's doing well this evening.

Archie (08:01.07 PM) ya, taking a break from DEXCON to be here.

Rod Currie (08:01.08 PM) cool -- I played Invisible Agent when he ran it a few years ago

Indiana Joe (08:01.18 PM) Things are resolving themselves. :-)

Steven S. Long (08:01.42 PM) Darren's "all-star" games are usually a lot of fun.

Archie (08:02.14 PM) Looking forward to the Champions LARP on Saturday

Steven S. Long (08:02.18 PM) We'll give it a few minutes more and I'll start announcements -- just in case there are any stragglers.

Narf the Mouse (08:02.51 PM) Hi, Steve

Lord Liaden (08:02.53 PM) And in I come a' stragglin'.

Rod Currie (08:04.16 PM) I hopoe to make it down to DEXCON one of these years -- maybe next year with Origins being a month earlier

Steven S. Long (08:04.39 PM) I enjoyed DexCon the one year I was a guest there.

Rod Currie (08:04.40 PM) um, hope not hopoe

Gregory (08:04.57 PM) whats a hopoe?

Chris Reynolds (08:05.22 PM) It's kind of like a hobo but not quite

Lord Liaden (08:05.37 PM) A nomadic Hobbit?

Steven S. Long (08:05.40 PM) It's a Canadian hobo.

Indiana Joe (08:05.52 PM) I've done teh hobo thing at cons... wasn't pretty.

Lord Liaden (08:06.17 PM) Computer's still eating my posts - this could be a long night. :(

Rod Currie (08:07.34 PM) Archie, you should post about the Champions LARP on the boards - will be interesting to hear how it works out

Steven S. Long (08:07.54 PM) OK, time for announcements!

Archie (08:08.04 PM) I intend to and possibly video also

Steven S. Long (08:08.11 PM) First up, as you know we were at Origins recently... and as usual we had a great time!

It was a lot of work, since we were running the IPR booth as well as our own, but sales were steady. And we were using Square for the first time to process transactions, which turned out to be *awesome.*

Chris Reynolds (08:09.02 PM) Until you ran into my card that didn't want to read...

Steven S. Long (08:09.12 PM) One of the hghlights of the show was Rod Currie's "Champions 30th Anniversary" game, which Darren, Jason, and myself played in; you can read more about it in last week's news update.

Dave Mattingly also helped out by playing Foxbat.

Rod Currie (08:09.50 PM) and contributed a lot of good ideas to the game

Steven S. Long (08:10.13 PM) Our new release for the show was THE HERO SYSTEM GRIMOIRE, which we had a few of specially printed up for the con. We sent the remainder on to GenCon and should be getting the full shipment into the warehouses at some point soon; I'm not sure on the exact scheduling of that.

Lord Liaden (08:10.14 PM) I can see Dave as Foxbat.

Hopefully hardcopies of the Grimoire will quiet a few of the forum gadflies.

Steven S. Long (08:11.20 PM) The IPR big new thing was Jason Morningstar's excellent FIASCO COMPANION, which also sold well. And the Evil Hat folx, Fred Hick and co., took home two Origins Awards for the Dresden File RPG!

Archie (08:13.08 PM) BRB, need to get food before stores around the Hyatt shutdown

Steven S. Long (08:13.21 PM) Now that I'm back, I've been hard at work (and so has everyone else; poor Darren had to turn around and head out to DexCon this weekend after having barely recovered from the last con!).

Lord Liaden (08:13.53 PM) That's why Darren pays himself the big bucks.

Steven S. Long (08:14.09 PM) My first chore was to finish up THE ADVANCED PLAYER'S GUIDE II, which I did earlier this week!

Rod Currie (08:14.26 PM) which in the game industry is about $1.98 a week

Steven S. Long (08:14.27 PM) It's now on its way to layout, and it's chock-full of all sorts of interesting new rules and related stuff for your HERO System games.

Gregory (08:14.34 PM) how many pages for the APG2 guide?

orjust APG2?

Narf the Mouse (08:15.32 PM) Many many, I'd guess.

Gregory (08:16.17 PM) $1.98/week? before or after deductions?

Chris Reynolds (08:16.26 PM) before of course

Narf the Mouse (08:16.33 PM) Gross.

Lord Liaden (08:16.48 PM) Steve -- how were sales on the IPR side of the con over all?

Steven S. Long (08:16.48 PM) Gregory -- don't know yet; it hasn't been laid out.

I'd guess 124-144, but that's a shot in the dark right now.

LL -- just fine. I think overall it forecasts a strong GenCon. Nothing like last year, when the DFRPG was new, but still quite a good year I'm thinking.

Thomas (08:17.31 PM) What would you say are the biggest additions in APG2?

Steven S. Long (08:18.00 PM) Thomas -- well, there are several new optional Powers, but I'd say the biggest things are probably the Social Combat rules. And maybe the expanded rules for designing Foci.

Third, now that APG2 is done, I have moved on to THE BOOK OF THE EMPRESS. I started up a What Do You Want To See thread on the Champions board, so stop by and give me your two cents' worth if'n you're interested.

Gregory (08:18.45 PM) foci with brainnnssss!!!!

Steven S. Long (08:19.18 PM) Well, possibly.

Lord Liaden (08:19.20 PM) Oho, better try to scrounge up a couple of cents! Do you take Canadian?

Steven S. Long (08:19.38 PM) LL -- yes, at the usual rates of exchange.

Lord Liaden (08:19.55 PM) Then you'll owe me. :P

Narf the Mouse (08:21.47 PM) *Waves a Canadian Flag*

Lord Liaden (08:22.01 PM) I wonder if anyone has told the real George, Steve, and Ray about Foxbat's plan to shanghai them?

Steven S. Long (08:22.05 PM) The thread has already yielded some good ideas and suggestions, as expected. Also some suggestions that are waaay too big to pursue.

LL -- I told Ray.

Rod Currie (08:23.12 PM) actually, since Ray played a big part in getting me to run games at cons, it's all his fault in a way

Lord Liaden (08:23.24 PM) I'm often surprised at the unrealistic expectations some people seem to have about the outcome to expect from a WDYWTS thread.

Steven S. Long (08:23.58 PM) LL -- I think that's all par for the course. Ask for opinions about something online, you'll get a wide range of things, particularly in a hobby as diverse as RPGing.

They're always valuable to me, one way or t'other.

Dave Mattingly (08:24.57 PM) Howdy, gang.

9:00 sneaked up on me.

Steven S. Long (08:25.02 PM) Hi Dave!

9:00 is tricky that way.

Dave Mattingly (08:25.22 PM) 9:00. We hates it! We hates it forever!

Rod Currie (08:25.23 PM) hey dave

Lord Liaden (08:25.26 PM) Hi, Foxb... uh, Dave!

Dave Mattingly (08:25.55 PM) My one regret in the 30th Anniversary game was forgetting to explain Foxbat's "real" origin. That he was bitten by a radioactive game show host.

Indiana Joe (08:26.21 PM) I thought that was Wink Martindale's origin?

Lord Liaden (08:26.22 PM) Huh. I thought that was the Galloping Galooper.

Dave Mattingly (08:26.44 PM) Foxbat can change his origin anytime he wants. It's one of his special abilities.

Lord Liaden (08:28.35 PM) Just looked in on the Empress thread -- pretty darn busy! I'd better see if I have any suggestions left that haven't already been brought up.

Dave Mattingly (08:28.41 PM) Archie, I second the idea to post about the Champions LARP on the boards. I'd like to hear about it.

Narf the Mouse (08:28.48 PM) ...Doesn't "Radioactive game show host" contain a redundancy?

Steven S. Long (08:29.13 PM) LL -- yup, it was slow getting started, but once it got going some good ideas poured in. If nothing else, some of the questions people ask make me think about things.

Lord Liaden (08:29.32 PM) Narf -- no, that's "toxic game show host."

Steven S. Long (08:30.46 PM) I'm sure the next thread I start, about Mythic Hero, will be even busier.

Dave Mattingly (08:30.47 PM) I can't believe GenCon is so close.

Matthew Martin (08:30.59 PM) What's the current pantheon list for that one?

Dave Mattingly (08:31.02 PM) I'm completely unprepared.

Steven S. Long (08:31.21 PM) Yeah, Dave, just a few weeks. Trying to decide which route to drive, but either way should be a decent drive.

Dave Mattingly (08:32.41 PM) If all goes according to BlackWyrm's Master Plan (Foxbat helped), we'll have a big pile of Star Hero supplments with us.

Narf the Mouse (08:32.51 PM) @LL: Ah; good correction.

Steven S. Long (08:33.00 PM) We're just going to have STAR HERO itself.

Narf the Mouse (08:33.29 PM) So, at GenCon, you're going to Star Hero?

*Baps self*

Dave Mattingly (08:33.36 PM) We'll be running a special. Buy Star Hero, get a BlackWyrm supplment at regular price.

Rod Currie (08:33.46 PM) sorry to hear that Foxbat helped, Dave -- I assume you would've had a bigger pile

if he hadn't

Dave Mattingly (08:34.03 PM) He shared all those leftover XPs.

Well, I'm going to get back to editing a novel.

Catch you guys around.

Steven S. Long (08:35.51 PM) have fun!

Dave Mattingly (08:35.55 PM) See some of you in person next month.

Rod Currie (08:35.59 PM) take care Dave

Indiana Joe (08:35.59 PM) Yeah, doubling the amount of copies of Star Hero you have for +5 poinbts really adds up.

Rod Currie (08:36.07 PM) lol

Thomas (08:38.33 PM) Is there anything in Star Hero devoted to the technological singularity? Such as personality recording and storage and how to handle that in Hero terms? Mental stats only for char sheet phys stats used like vehicles for example?

or anything else to cover that concept...

Steven S. Long (08:39.40 PM) Thomas -- no.

Thomas (08:39.44 PM) sorry I was looking for the wdywts thread and couldn't find it.

ahh ok.

Steven S. Long (08:39.47 PM) That sounds more setting-specific to me.

Thomas (08:39.58 PM) cyber hero then, perhaps?

Steven S. Long (08:40.02 PM) If we ever decide to do an APG3, ask me again... maybe it could go in there.

Thomas (08:40.13 PM) You can bet on it.

Steven S. Long (08:40.20 PM) Possibly... but I doubt it. I'm not sure I want to open that particular Pandora's box.

Thomas (08:40.34 PM) Thanks

Steven S. Long (08:40.39 PM) In the meantime, I suggest just handling it as a plot device. That usually works pretty well.

Thomas (08:41.12 PM) Infinite character rearrangements

I saw that.. it's going into the campaign, just hopinh for something official in the new book, but thanks for the reference

Steven S. Long (08:45.17 PM) All right, folx, I think I'm going to end the chat a bit early tonight. Gotta return a call 'fore it gets too late.

See you next week, same time same place!

In the meantime... see ya on the boards.