Making a magic System and need help

kiahoga

Hello Folks, Ive been making up my Magic system for my upcoming Fantasy game and am at an impass. Now ive been putting different disads onto the other types of Magic I'm using but am unsure how to write up what I want for Necromancy.

Now what I was thinking of is for Necromancy to have a side effect of a major transform i.e "Living to dead" because of the Death Magic they are channeling thru there body unless they have a suitable Focus or End Reserve i.e the poor Sacrificial Victim. Also this will mainly be used by my villians, but I want something that I can show my players without enraging my rule lawyers.

Re: Making a magic System and need help

I think I would use a Side Effect limitation; with the side effect being a Killing Attack with AVAD ("Not being alive", all or nothing) against the caster, or the sacrifice the caster is using as a "focus" of sorts.

Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used, Side Effect affects caster or a willing or defenseless target of caster's choice (-1/2)

This would normally be a -2 Limitation, but I built it as a Custom Limitation and made it only -1/2; about equal to an OIF and with the logic that the fact the caster can use a sacrifice makes the power almost 2 attacks in one. Thus the limitation is that the caster will take the damage, if there is no sacrifice to be used.

Now what I was thinking of is for Necromancy to have a side effect of a major transform i.e "Living to dead" because of the Death Magic they are channeling thru there body unless they have a suitable Focus or End Reserve i.e the poor Sacrificial Victim. Also this will mainly be used by my villians' date=' but I want something that I can show my players without enraging my rule lawyers.[/quote']

Side Effect- Drains the caster of life force ?

Make it a side effect/transform into undead lich, that heals back unless the conversion is complete (or some unholy quest is completed). The side effect is conditional upon whether or not an appropriate sacrifice is offered (variable limitation: sacrificial victim or side effect as described). An appropriate sacrificial offering might be the life of a creature whose point total equals X% of the spell point total or some other valuable thing acceptable to the necromantic PTB (suggestions, anyone?) In my own FH campaigns, sacrifices of any sort were related to divine/profane magic. Necromancy was a "religion", though not one many openly professed, and necromantic magic was performed by necromancers, priests of a religion devoted to death (usually that of others) being the path to ultimate power.