Breakfall and Skill use

CptPatriot

Question

This situation came up during my groups' last game session. I'm not trying to overrule my GM's decision, but I do want to make sure our understanding of the rules are clear when this happens again.

Character A got knocked back from an attack from Character B.

Character A acted prior to Character B in the same phase.

1) Does Character A get to make his Breakfall roll at that moment to avoid the knockback damage?

The reason I'm asking is that our GM said that all skill rolls require time to use and said Character A could not use his Breakfall skill as he already acted in the segment.

2) If Character A failed his Breakfall roll to land on his feet from the knockback, can Character A still make his Breakfall roll to get on his feet as a 0 phase action when his next action comes?

1 answer to this question

Re: Breakfall and Skill use

1. As noted on HSS/TUS 88 (and some other places, such as APG 21), making a Breakfall roll to avoid the effects of Knockback is an action that takes no time — so yes, Character A in the situation you’re describing can try to use Breakfall to avoid KB’s effects.

In the rules as written it is incorrect that “all Skill Rolls require time to use.” Some do, some don’t; it depends on the Skill and what it’s being used for. APG 19-22 has some basic rules on “base times” for Skill use; HSS/TUS have much more detailed rules on this for each Skill.

However, the GM is perfectly within his rights to establish other base times for his campaign, or simply to rule that all Skills require X time to use, if that’s what he prefers.

2. Yes, a character who fails his Breakfall roll to avoid the effects of Knockback can then immediately attempt another Breakfall roll to stand up from being prone.