Brick Help

TheNaga

What powers and characteristics should a starting out Brick have? Character does have multiform. What would Medical Resistant skin be like and what comic book characters have that complication? This character is a PC and either an hero or anti-hero with 400 point and 75 point for complications.

How would I fit the following to his history? His father is of Scottish and English descent while his mother is full blooded Choctaw.

Height: 9 feet tall

Weight: 1763.7 pounds

Real World I.Q.: 170

Characteristics:

54 STR

16 DEX

35 CON

21 INT

10 EGO

20 PRE

5 OCV

5 DCV

3 OMCV

3 DMCV

4 SPD

7 PD

7 ED

20 REC

38 END

29 BODY

35 STUN

Powers:

14 Density Increase (800 kg mass, +15 STR, +3 PD/ED, -6m KB), Persistent (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (21 Active Points); Always On (-1/2)

15 No One Controls Thathurla: Mental Defense (15 points total)

3 Arms: Extra Limbs (2), Inherent (+1/4) (6 Active Points); Always On (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2)

6 Knockback Resistance -6m

35 Regenerative: Regeneration (3 BODY per 20 Minutes), Can Heal Limbs

40 Life Support (Eating: Character does not eat; Immunity Alcohol; Immunity All terrestrial poisons; Immunity: All terrestrial diseases; Longevity: Immortal; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Self-Contained Breathing; Sleeping: Character does not sleep)

40 Armor Plating: Resistant Protection (20 PD/20 ED) (60 Active Points); Perceivable (-1/2)

Physical Description: He is a nine feet human with four arms that stands twelve feet tall. Large overlapping slate grey bony plates with horn-like protrusions cover his thickly muscled hairless massively built body. The back corners of his skull has enormous pait of massive, bavkward, backward pointing spkies, up to inches in diameter and six inches long; these are surrounded by three smaller spikes. Row of spikes are lined along both sides of his head. The ears are long and webbed, with sharp spikes connected by thick membranous skin. The eyebrows and forehead are protected by bony ridges. Located on the back of his head is a fully functional third eye. All three of his eyes glowing red orbs. His powerful jaws are rimmed with a double row of six inches long razor sharp pointed teeth. The arms are like tree trunks. The hands are wide and monstrous looking. A massive sharp barbed grey claw comes out of each hand’s three fingers and thumb. His prehensile tapering tail measures six feet in length.

Re: Brick Help

What powers and characteristics should a starting out Brick have? Character does have multiform. What would Medical Resistant skin be like and what comic book characters have that complication? This character is a PC and either an hero or anti-hero with 400 point and 75 point for complications.

How would I fit the following to his history? His father is of Scottish and English descent while his mother is full blooded Choctaw.

Height: 9 feet tall

Weight: 1763.7 pounds

Real World I.Q.: 170

Characteristics:

54 STR

Generally, STR is best purchased in multiples of 5. At 55 STR, he does 11d6 punching damage. At 54 he does 10 1/2d6

16 DEX

35 CON

21 INT

10 EGO

20 PRE

5 OCV

5 DCV

CV's are pretty low for a Supers game. 5 DCV's probably OK for a guy who will soak up, rather than avoid, damage. I'd bump OCV or invest in some skill levels, most likely in HTH combat or a subset of HTH maneuvers.

3 OMCV

3 DMCV

4 SPD

Bottom of the barrel speed in most Supers games, but workable. Be aware most other Supers will act more often (5's pretty standard and 6 is not uncommon).

7 PD

7 ED

20 REC

38 END

29 BODY

35 STUN

That's a ton of BOD, especially for a regenerator. I'd bump up the STUN quite a bit for a Brick, and likely ramp the END up a bit as well. Low SPD + high REC mitigates the END a bit, though.

Powers:

14 Density Increase (800 kg mass, +15 STR, +3 PD/ED, -6m KB), Persistent (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (21 Active Points); Always On (-1/2)

Generally, DI isn't purchased Always On - the character instead buys higher stats, and simulates the weight with a complication. Not a big issue. This brings PD/ED up to 10.

15 No One Controls Thathurla: Mental Defense (15 points total)

3 Arms: Extra Limbs (2), Inherent (+1/4) (6 Active Points); Always On (-1/2), Restrainable (-1/2)

I would not allow Always On (what's the drawback? Distinctive Features as a complication, maybe) or Restrainable on extra limbs. Unless they can somehow be restrained in a manner that would not normally restrain limbs.

6 Knockback Resistance -6m

35 Regenerative: Regeneration (3 BODY per 20 Minutes), Can Heal Limbs

Generally, buying up Regen BOD is pretty futile. 1 BOD per 5 minutes will be cheaper and faster.

40 Life Support (Eating: Character does not eat; Immunity Alcohol; Immunity All terrestrial poisons; Immunity: All terrestrial diseases; Longevity: Immortal; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Self-Contained Breathing; Sleeping: Character does not sleep)

40 Armor Plating: Resistant Protection (20 PD/20 ED) (60 Active Points); Perceivable (-1/2)

That pumps defenses to 30, which I'd call top end, but manageable. Combine the fairly low SPD with high defenses and STR (14d6 with DI if you go to 55 STR, assuming the DI additions aren't included already) and the combo is reasonable. Note that your own attack gets 19 STUN past defenses on an average hit - he should have more STUN so he can take a few such hits.

He has negligible movement - you may want to buy up Running or Leaping, especially as he's only combat effective in melee range.

Physical Description: He is a nine feet human with four arms that stands twelve feet tall.

Since he can't be both 9' and 12' tall, I assume he has an extra 7 legs, complete with feet. Or maybe you need to do an edit ;)

Large overlapping slate grey bony plates with horn-like protrusions cover his thickly muscled hairless massively built body. The back corners of his skull has enormous pait of massive' date=' bavkward, backward pointing spkies, up to inches in diameter and six inches long; these are surrounded by three smaller spikes. Row of spikes are lined along both sides of his head. The ears are long and webbed, with sharp spikes connected by thick membranous skin. The eyebrows and forehead are protected by bony ridges. Located on the back of his head is a fully functional third eye. All three of his eyes glowing red orbs. His powerful jaws are rimmed with a double row of six inches long razor sharp pointed teeth. The arms are like tree trunks. The hands are wide and monstrous looking. A massive sharp barbed grey claw comes out of each hand’s three fingers and thumb. His prehensile tapering tail measures six feet in length.[/quote']

Note that the character can't actually see behind him (he has not paid for 360 degree vision) nor do his claws, razor sharp teeth or spikes serve any purpose other than decoration (he has not paid for any attacks with these). Note also that the extra limbs do not grant any extra attacks - that would be paid for separately.

What Hugh said - except I am less concerned about the combat values. Bricks can often afford to be hit more often* and it is not worth competing in the 'attack dodging' stakes - take a low DCV and assume you are going to be it.

To hit with a low OCV you need to be sneaky and use the environment: pick up something big and heavy and use it to hit the speed freak. You get range and either AoE or extra OCV for big objects.

A few levels of grab are always a great investment for a strong character.

Assuming his defences are high for the campaign (I would expect that of a Brick) his overall damage may be a bit much: assuming 1 more point in STR, he does 16d6 with a regular attack, or 56 Stun, which would put 29 through his own defences. That makes him a very dangerous one hit wonder: if he connects an opponent he will likely cream them. A half decent roll and he could knock his own clone out with one punch!

The thing about Hero characters is that they can be hard to evaluate in isolation. He might fit well with other characters in a campaign, or constantly find himself out-manoeuvered, depending on everyone else and the play-style. Team him up right and he could be devastating (say with a high OCV entangler).

*Although, having said that, his STUN is alarmingly low for a front line combatant.

What would be the best to do since he is a PC start out with 400 points for power and 75 for complications? I would like him starting to be able to lift 50 to 75 start out and the STR increases through game play. What could I look at for some help in figuring what skills he has starting out. I want him to has an I.Q. real world wise of 170. In Brick form he weighs exactly a ton. The eye in the back of the head should be located in the middle of the forehead not the back of the head.

I left out the following which is his starting out movement power

Super-Leaping: Multipower, 48-point reserve

5f Basic Super-Leaping: Leaping +96m (136m forward, 68m upward) (48 Active Points)

4f MegaLeaping: Leaping +36m (136m forward, 68m upward), MegaScale (1m = 1 km; +1) (36 Active Points)

Sorry I'm unclear, Sean - I'd go with the low DCV as well. But a 5 OCV is unlikely to connect very often.

I see 14d6 (55 STR + 15 DI = 70). Where do you see the other 2d6?

The character could certainly manage with much less than a 100 meter combat leap. A 10 - 20 meter half move is generally plenty. Megascale can be reduced to match.

I made a mistake in how tall he is.

Below is his exactlly height and weight.

Height: 12 feet tall

Weight: 2,000 pounds

I would like all the powers and abilities to give him start at the ability lift 65 tons starting out.

What about Leaping +76m and MegaLeaping: Leaping +16m, MegaScale (1m = 1 km, leap takes 1 Phase per km; +1)

(20 km forward, 10 km upward)

I would like if possible starting for him to have the following. Thathurla's musculature is more efficient than that of an ordinary human. As a result, his muscles produce less fatigue toxins during physical activity than those of normal humans.

How would make this sound better and apply it the character's history? Because of his healing factor that regenerates his cells Thathurla is immortal.

Sorry I'm unclear, Sean - I'd go with the low DCV as well. But a 5 OCV is unlikely to connect very often.

I see 14d6 (55 STR + 15 DI = 70). Where do you see the other 2d6?

The character could certainly manage with much less than a 100 meter combat leap. A 10 - 20 meter half move is generally plenty. Megascale can be reduced to match.

One thing we tend to do when comparing characters is compare individuals rather than teams. If you have an entangler backing you up you can grab pretty easily (or if you spend a few points on grab levels, which can cost you 2 points per pop). Also you can generally use scenery with high STR to get combat bonuses.

As for the 80 STR, I completely made that up. Maths skills - must remember to save a few points for that next time I re-design myself.

For lack of a better word, I find your character descriptions tend to be cluttered. To that end, I suggest the "so what?" test. When you put an element into the character, ask what impact this has on the character - how will it differentiate him from other characters? If the answer is "not much" and "it won't", remove that element. It's unnecessary backstory.

What powers and characteristics should a starting out Brick have? Character does have multiform.

Not from the character sheet he doesn't.

What would Medical Resistant skin be like and what comic book characters have that complication?

The only time I can recall this being an issue was a Justice League where Power Girl had to be operated on by Superman's heat vision because nothing else could get through her skin. I don't see this as a complication at all, unless the issue will come up with some frequency in game. For someone with full life support and regeneration, I don't see how it would ever matter that he can't receive an injection or be operated on surgically.

This character is a PC and either an hero or anti-hero with 400 point and 75 point for complications.

So where are his complications? What makes him tick? What makes him a PC hero (anti- or otherwise) rather than recluse, a thief, hired muscle (legal or otherwise) or a world conqueror?

Apply the "so what" test. If this doesn't influence your vision of who the character is, it's of no real use. Its just fluff. For that matter, nothing in the writeup or your description suggests an extremely high intelligence other than buying INT and assigning an IQ. How would the character be different with an average intelligence?

Physical Description: He is a nine feet human with four arms that stands twelve feet tall. Large overlapping slate grey bony plates with horn-like protrusions cover his thickly muscled hairless massively built body. The back corners of his skull has enormous pait of massive' date=' bavkward, backward pointing spkies, up to inches in diameter and six inches long; these are surrounded by three smaller spikes. Row of spikes are lined along both sides of his head. The ears are long and webbed, with sharp spikes connected by thick membranous skin. The eyebrows and forehead are protected by bony ridges. Located on the back of his head is a fully functional third eye. All three of his eyes glowing red orbs. His powerful jaws are rimmed with a double row of six inches long razor sharp pointed teeth. The arms are like tree trunks. The hands are wide and monstrous looking. A massive sharp barbed grey claw comes out of each hand’s three fingers and thumb. His prehensile tapering tail measures six feet in length.[/quote']

My first thought is **yawn** another monster. The spikes and claws do nothing more than window dress, since they don't show up in the character sheet anywhere. He has an apparently non-functional eye in the back of his head (he has no enhanced senses like 360 degree vision), so more window dressing. At least the arms and tail are covered in the character sheet with extra limbs.

I also note this character will be highly ineffective in any indoor setting, given he's 12' tall. That's going to impede his ability to be useful in the game. Consider whether normal human size with Growth he can activate and deactivate might be preferable. If he is 12' tall, should he really be considerably tougher to hit than a normal human (ie should his DCV be even lower than a 5? Or maybe his OCV should be higher than his DCV)?

I made a mistake in how tall he is.

Below is his exactlly height and weight.

Height: 12 feet tall

Weight: 2,000 pounds

I would like all the powers and abilities to give him start at the ability lift 65 tons starting out.

What about Leaping +76m and MegaLeaping: Leaping +16m, MegaScale (1m = 1 km, leap takes 1 Phase per km; +1)

(20 km forward, 10 km upward)

Again, 80 meters seems like overkill. Note that, with a 4 SPD and 16 km leaps, this character covers over 19,000 km in an hour - does that seem excessive?

I would like if possible starting for him to have the following. Thathurla's musculature is more efficient than that of an ordinary human. As a result' date=' his muscles produce less fatigue toxins during physical activity than those of normal humans.[/quote']

Sounds like reduced endurance on STR, another means of dealing with his END usage.

How would make this sound better and apply it the character's history? Because of his healing factor that regenerates his cells Thathurla is immortal.

How old is he? Did he just become immortal a week ago last Tuesday, or does he predate the American revolution? How does his immortality influence his mindset and personality? Again, apply the "so what?" test. Is there any reason for this character to age differently than ordinary humans? If he's been around a long time, why doesn't he have any skills to speak of? The entire build seems based exclusively on being a combat monster. A lot of GM's set a rule of thumb that 10% of character points must be spent on abilities unrelated to combat.

What will this character do in scenarios not involving combat? Most Champions games also feature investigation and interaction with the rest of the world. What does this fellow bring to the table to help the team in these situations? For that matter, when the other PC's return to their secret identities/private lives, where does this guy go? A cave in the woods?

I'd draw the character up with no point limits, and add the complications. That's "character with full experience". Now add up the points - likely, you will be well over 400. So what gets trimmed to reflect the fact he's a starting character. Those abilities can later be increased with experience.

The character has a human form which has will have multiform.

When he is in Thathurla form he is immortal because of his healing factor that regenerates his cells.

What should his leaping be then since you are say his leaping right now is overkill? What could I spend some of his abilities on so they are not related to combat?

If he's not immortal in both forms, it kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it? It also seems that his impenetrable skin isn't that big a deal if he can shift form to a form which can receive medical treatment more easily. Also, note that some GM's frown on a 400 point combat multiform with a soft squishy human form that spends a bunch of points on non-combat abilities. That said, a battle in a structure with an 8' or 10' ceiling is going to seriously cramp the character's style.

His leaping should be set based on two parameters:

- how fast do you view him being able to move, in and out of combat, as compared to other characters in the game?

- what has the GM defined, in his game, as low, standard, high and extreme mobility in combat.

The character's abilities cannot be evaluated in a vacuum. In a typical Champions game, I find 20 - 50 meters tends to be a good range for average up. 50 meters can normally clear the battlemat in a couple of half moves.

You could spend points on anything you envision the character being capable in which is not combat. Picking locks, charming information sources, knowledge of esoteric subjects, helpful contacts, a positive reputation and a striking appearance would all fall into this category. Since your character brief lacks any information on what the character does for a living, his interests and experiences, or his history, it's pretty tough to suggest what this specific character might have as non-combat abilities, much like it's tough to suggest complications like Psychological Complications with no idea of his personality.

35 Super-Leaping: Multipower, 35-point reserve

1f Basic Super-Leaping: Leaping +30m (44m forward, 22m upward) (15 Active Points)

1f MegaLeaping: Leaping +10m (44m forward, 22m upward), MegaScale (1m = 1 km; +1) (10 Active Points); leap takes 1 Phase per km (-1)

If DI isn't purchased Always On.then what should be done?