Feedback on Tomb of Rakoss The Undying

Guest Keneton

Guest Keneton

Did anyone play my short Fantasy Hero Adventure? Would love some feedback. Good or bad, lay it on me! I am presently working on a large epic adventure for DH or possibly a Con game and commentary would be of great assistance!

:)

Guest Keneton
Originally posted by Killer Shrike

Needed more Orcs and Pies.

Not sure I understand pies, but orcs could be added outside of the tomb or in the caves. It is unlikely they could live in the fridgid tomb itself.

If you mean more action, I took a lot out after the first playtest went way too long. Also the fights were already tuff for starting Fantasy Hero characters.

Thanks for your comments KS, and also I enjoyed viewing your site.

Originally posted by Keneton

Not sure I understand pies, but orcs could be added outside of the tomb or in the caves. It is unlikely they could live in the fridgid tomb itself.

If you mean more action, I took a lot out after the first playtest went way too long. Also the fights were already tuff for starting Fantasy Hero characters.

Thanks for your comments KS, and also I enjoyed viewing your site.

Just joking around -- its a reference to Monte Cook's "Shortest Technically Complete Fantasy Adventure" featuring a Pie guarded by an Orc in a 10x10 room.

Actually I have not previewed your adventure yet, although that is only bcs I am not currently running Fantasy -- Im making setting content while PREPARING to run Fantasy and rule number 1 when I am preparring content is to not look at other people's new work so that elements of their work dont get into my subconscious and end up getting worked into my content in one fashion or another :)

Im sure Ill check it out once my content has gelled and set and is safe from potential unintentional plaigerism. :)

And thanks for the kind words vis a vis the website! I hope its useful to someone at least, and dont be afraid to send in content! I will be more than happy to get it posted (and credited) as soon as I can work it into the schedule.

Originally posted by Killer Shrike

Im making setting content while PREPARING to run Fantasy and rule number 1 when I am preparring content is to not look at other people's new work so that elements of their work dont get into my subconscious and end up getting worked into my content in one fashion or another :)

Any particular reason why? That is when I look the most. Originality is just learning how to disguise your sources! ;-) No seriously, I don't think there is anything truly original, everything builds upon prior influences.

The key is not to borrow indiscriminately and slavishly, but rather to allow yourself to be selectively inspired (rejecting things that don't fit your theme), and also to let it simmer long enough that that the flavors blend together.. so the distinct elements lose their distinctiveness and form something new, like metals in an alloy.

Mike

Originally posted by Alcamtar

Any particular reason why? That is when I look the most. Originality is just learning how to disguise your sources! ;-) No seriously, I don't think there is anything truly original, everything builds upon prior influences.

The key is not to borrow indiscriminately and slavishly, but rather to allow yourself to be selectively inspired (rejecting things that don't fit your theme), and also to let it simmer long enough that that the flavors blend together.. so the distinct elements lose their distinctiveness and form something new, like metals in an alloy.

Mike

I prefer to come up with a my own ideas first and then build out from there. Look at it this way, if you do your own work and borrow from long established tropes of a genre its NBD (no big deal) -- thats why its a genre after all, but if your work looks like three or four recently published/shared works then youre just a rip-off artist -- no originality is one thing, swiping someone elses ideas before they've had a chance to gel and become recognized as being from that person on the other hand is just low IMO.

I mean, if you "borrow" from JRRT, then everyone knows you borrowed from JRRT (just as he borrowed from myths and legends in his turn). But if you borrow from Joe P Nobody -- accidentally via subconscious-bleed-through or not -- then who knows that those cool ideas are really from Joe P Nobody? They think its your work, and falsely accredit it to you. Just seems kind of slimey to me.

Once Ive got enough material down with its own character and feel, _then_ Ill start selectively adding on genre elements and occasionally using an idea or two from some where else as the seed of something Ill use.

I'm working also on an adventure for DH. I already published one article. It's for an agent level game. Im playing around with realism in fantasy, using some mythic history to build a story on.

I'm finding that agent level Fantasy Hero has alot of possibilities, strong realism as a backdrop for magic can have startling effects on drama, I believe.:eek: You have to drop the power level limits to 5 pt.s, though.

I once had a party adventure through a Cthulu game (in Horror Hero, of course ;)) using stealth, detective work and knowledge skills for two hours. I played up the realism, and the challenges were all skill-based. One character had a car with a trunk he filled with various armaments, including thompson machine guns, swords, browning automatics and grenades.

The party fought through groups of monsters after groups of monsters, using thompson submachine guns, and browning handguns. When they faced the final, giant worm monster, the npc who accompanied them took massive wounds. The detective pc's paramedic skills were not powerful enough to save the npc.

The mysterious Sherlock Holmes looking player character, with a silver-chased cane stepped forward and said to the gumshoe: "Out of the way!" The gumshoe shouted "But he'll die!" "Out of the way!," the Sherlock Holmes looking character said again, emphatically. The gumshoe moved forward a soft pale blue light sprang from "Sherlock's" the silver-chased cane, and washed over the npc - the npc's wounds started to close.

I can remember the jaw-dropping, eye-popping look of shock on the gumshoe player's face. Classic culture shock for magic in a realistic setting. :)

I'm thinking about writing a whole companion book for an agent level Fantasy Hero campaign.

Tell me what you think of this package for mage/cleric classes, all spellcaster characters must have these abilities:

Cost

7 5 pt. Variable Point Power Pool (Magic/Prayer)

3 Detect Magic

5 Follower (Familiar) - Familiar usually has mind link.

3 Magic Skill (Int based)

All other powers would be bought in a multipower with many limitations (incantations, gestures, foci, etc.). I find that keeping the character points low, surges out the realism. My present adventure involves fighting off a pack of wolves, well there's more then that to it, of course. ;) And more pesky wolves keep showing up... Hmmmmmmmm :D

Buh Byeeeee

Re: Feedback on Tomb of Rakoss The Undying

Originally posted by Keneton

Did anyone play my short Fantasy Hero Adventure? Would love some feedback. Good or bad, lay it on me! I am presently working on a large epic adventure for DH or possibly a Con game and commentary would be of great assistance!:)

Darnit! I wanted to, but the file won't unzip on this computer, and my own computer is down. Anyway you can email it to me? ;) I promise feedback, and maybe even chocolate chip cookies. :D

Guest Keneton

Re: Re: Feedback on Tomb of Rakoss The Undying

Originally posted by Galadorn

Darnit! I wanted to, but the file won't unzip on this computer, and my own computer is down. Anyway you can email it to me? ;) I promise feedback, and maybe even chocolate chip cookies. :D

Send a request to robert.pennington4@verizon.net before the end of the week and I will e-mail you all that you need.

I love the promise of cookies, but I'll just be happy with commentary.