Force Wall and limitations

Ninja-Bear

Hello All,

I had an interesting battle yesterday with The Amazing Darkon and (my daughter's character) Lightning Girl. Now I used Darkon straight from the book (3rd ed) and the Force Wall is 8pd 16 ed. Lightning girl has a 10D6 eb Lightning Blast. As it goes (by the numbers) she couldn't damage the force wall at all. the closest she got was 13 body. Now Im going to update Darkon to 5th rev. and seeing that he takes a limitation on himself vs. Light based powers, I feel that it would be appropriate for his force wall to take a limitation also vs light based powers. According to the book, a limitation available to all defense powers is ablative. Im not quite understanding though the simple form of ablative. I thought that you just subtracted from the defense the body done until you reach zero. I.e taking the 16 ED from above, if the first hit did 10 Body, then the defense would be reduced to 6 Ed. Is this correct? Another option would be to give it vulnerability limitation from entangle power. It seems to me that it is implied that this limitation is only for entangles, but in this case, it would be appropriate to the Force Wall.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

(P.s fwiw, she rammed him and after I remembered that he only had a 8 PD, knocked him ou!)

Re: Force Wall and limitations

To what are you converting him to? 5E or 6E?

I'll asume 5E in the following, unless noted otherwise:

Simple form of Ablative:

Take the maximum Body Damage the Attack could do. Compare it to the defenses. If the potential Body is higher, the defense looses 5 Active Points.

But unless the damage to the walls ablation carriers over between uses, I doubt it's a vilad use of Ablative. Normaly you should only be able to restore an ablative defense more often/easily than charges.

Overall breaking Force Walls, Entangles and Foci is what Killing attacks do in Super settings. Think about adding one to the multipower, even if it is a bad one (say extra Endurance, Concentration or similar things).

One of the 6E APG's has a special Vulnerability Option, where the character suffers another attack of the same (or half) Active Points and no defenses. half the AP equals the 1.5 multiplier and same AP equals a 2 times multiplier.

So I once build this:

Vulnerability to Sonic (Uncommon; Character Suffers Dispel of Equal Active Points)

Christopher- as to edition you are correct, its going to be fifth ed rev.

Now if I understand you and using the previous example: Darkon has 16 ed if its ablative and lightning girl attacks with her 10d6 ed. Potentially the eb can do upto 20 body so if hits then the force wall loses 5 act pts which should lower the ed to 14. (I think the term potential is what threw me off)

Christopher- as to edition you are correct, its going to be fifth ed rev.

Now if I understand you and using the previous example: Darkon has 16 ed if its ablative and lightning girl attacks with her 10d6 ed. Potentially the eb can do upto 20 body so if hits then the force wall loses 5 act pts which should lower the ed to 14. (I think the term potential is what threw me off)

Yes, that is it.

But like I said, Ablative is supposed to stick a little longer than just re-using the power. So if his forcewall took a hit, all it's instances would loose the 5 AP for the rest of the day.

Considering darkon is a villian- I don't see lose power for a day to big of a problem. Plus with ablative lowering the defense would make it easier to break the wall. I assume then if she lowers his value say to 12 ed then knocks him out, he can reform the wall later that day at 12 ed? Or once its shattered its done for the rest of the day?

Considering darkon is a villian- I don't see lose power for a day to big of a problem. Plus with ablative lowering the defense would make it easier to break the wall. I assume then if she lowers his value say to 12 ed then knocks him out' date=' he can reform the wall later that day at 12 ed? Or once its shattered its done for the rest of the day?[/quote']

I simply differentiate between the Power (what is written on the sheet*) and the Instance* of the Power (any specific Force Wall created using the Power).

I would say that

1) all Force wall instances should share the same Ablative calculation. If one looses 5 AP from Ablation, all existing and future instances of the Force wall have that much less AP.

2) When the force wall is shattered by high Damage (loosing all it's body), this has no effect on the ablation. The character can still instantiate it freely. However the attack that did knock it down, propably still eleminated 5 AP because of Ablative.

For simplicity just track ablation similar to to a Drain that affects the AP, affects the sheet power and the active powers at once and fades totally once per day.

*I am a Programmer and these words are used for Object orriented Programming. You have one Template (Class) and many Objects that were created using the Template (Objects). It's pretty much the same with Powers like TK, Barrier and Entangle.