Guarding an area

Doc Democracy

Question

OK. We have been discussing guarding an area and looked at the rules. It would appear possible to interpret two ways and I thought I would come see what you meant.

To guard an area you are able to cover an area with a radius equal to your reach (one metre) doubled (presumably to accommodate the fact that you can move suddenly one way or another to extend the area covered). You also note that a weapon can extend that reach, which is where the interpretation is required.

If you are unarmed then your reach is one metre. For guarding an area you cover a 2m radius circle.

If you have a one metre sword, your effective reach is 2m. For guarding an area does that mean the guarded area is 2m + 1m for a 3m radius circle or does it mean 2m doubled for a 4m radius.

If you have a 2 metre spear, your effective reach is 3m. For guarding an area does that mean the guarded area is 3m + 1m for a 4m radius circle or does it mean 3m doubled for a 6m radius.

In my thinking the former areas make more sense as the additional radius is due to moving about which would be constant across the weapons. in the latter circumstances the carrier of the longer, heavier weapon would be moving upto three times the distance to cover added space...

:-)

Doc

1 answer to this question

Re: Guarding an area

I assume you’re referring to the rules on 6E2 128; if you’re referring to something else, feel free to post a follow-up if necessary.

The rules there state, “If a character has a longer Reach due to a weapon, Stretching, or the like, the GM can choose to increase the size of the “guarded” area to match the character’s Reach.” This means you add the extra Reach to increase the standard 2m “area” a character can guard for free; you don’t double the extra Reach. So if a character has +2m Reach from some source, he could cover a 4m radius area — the 2m area he gets “for free,” +2m more.