A Valid VPP?

Christopher

Question

I have seen this and similar VPP builts on the Forum multiple times:

Variable Power Pool: 30 Control, 30 Pool

Power can be Changed at 0-Phase Action (+1), No Skill Roll Required (+1), Limited Class of Powers (Gadgets), operates as Multipower of a Dozen Slots (Specific Slots can be replaced at base; -1/2)

Total Cost: 30 (Controll Cost + Advantages and Limitations), 30 Pool = 60 Character Points.

Now if I would built a selection of 12 Powers (30 AP each) as a Multipower with Fixed Slots it would cost:

Total Cost: 30 Reserve + 12 slot for 3 Points each = 60 Character Points

The same price for both, but the VPP is a infinite group of Multipowers, not a single one.

I feel like the player has all the abilities of the Following VPP:

Variable Power Pool: 30 Controll, 120 Pool

Powers can only be changed at base (-1/2), all Slots Lockout (-1/2)

Character Points: 7 (Controll Cost) + 120 = 127 Character Points

But managed to half the cost for the same effect.

Now I wonder if the above built is book legal, or not?

Can a character reduce the Pool Size needed that drastically with "Cosmic" and "Limited Selection of Powers that can be changed at base/limited occasion"?

1 answer to this question

Re: A Valid VPP?

Obviously any GM can allow whatever he wants to allow, but that's fundamentally illegal. You can't use one Power Framework to create another; 6E1 398 specifically says you can't use a VPP to create a Multipower. But beyond that there's plain common and dramatic sense: if you want a Multipower, create one; if you want a VPP, create one. Don't try to mix the two.

I can certainly see situations where as GM I would allow a character to build a Multipower-based gadget in a VPP -- for example, an energy pistol with multiple settings -- despite the general rule cited above, if I felt the player weren't intentionally trying to undermine game balance (and that the gadget wasn't unbalancing regardless of his intentions, of course). But what you've described here strikes me as deliberate flouting of the rules, not a legitimate request for an exception to them.