Random CSL questions

bigdamnhero

Question

So I’ve been thinking about Combat Skill Levels:

A character has a 2pt CSL with spears. Does the CSL apply to both melee and ranged, ie – thrown spear?

Same character is fighting with spear & shield. Can he use the spear CSL with a Shield Bash? Or would he need to buy separate CSLs with shield?

Same character goes to Block. Per 6e2 he can add the shield’s DCV bonus to his OCV for the Block. Can he also add the CSL with spear? Or does the CSL only apply if he specifies he’s blocking with the spear, in which case he can’t add the shield bonus?

Could you get around the above by buying CSLs with Spear & Shield, and if so would that still be a 2pt CSL? If so, would the CSL still apply if the character lost his shield and was fighting with just the spear? (Or conceivably, vice-versa?)

Lastly, if a character has bought 3pt CSLs with a weapon-based Martial Art, can he automatically use those CSLs with Standard Maneuvers with that weapon, like basic Strike? Or does he have to specify any Standard Maneuvers as part of the 3-maneuver short list? What about 5pt CSLs – do they automatically include all Standard Maneuvers that make sense for that weapon?

As always, I may be over-thinking things, but thought I'd ask. Thanks!

1 answer to this question

Re: Random CSL questions

1. Yes, per TUS/HSS 122.

2-3. No. His CSLs are with Spears. They do not apply to other things he just happens to be holding while also wielding a spear. ;)

4. A character could buy a 3-point CSL that applied to both spears and shields; he couldn’t do what you’re suggesting with a 2-point CSL.

5. No. CSLs with Martial Maneuvers aren’t the same thing as CSLs with All HTH Combat. Unless the GM ruled otherwise a character could buy3- or 5-point CSLs and define the Small Group or Large Group as including some Combat Maneuvers and some Martial Maneuvers.