Alternate Form: Tree

I wonder how you would write it up/what you would allow as GM. The character in question has a small VPP (5 Control/5 Pool; might grow to 10/10) and I would like to fit it in there.

Game use is hiding from most-all normal human Senses. If possible also Mental Searches, but that must not be as absolute.

The Character should still be able to Sense within the range of normal human senses. Even when attacked.

A special durability/defense powers are not required, unless you think this is what a tree can do/should be able to do.

The character does not need to be able to act (no moving, talking, attacking), needs no access to skills of the normal form (but if points are left, I propably take them).

This is primarily for 5E, but infos for 6E are also welcome.

The tree form should fit into the local forest (character has some skills for that and would have to take a look around). So a fixed "outside" exterior/tree type is not wanted.

Re: Alternate Form: Tree

The points might be a problem, especially if you want it in a framework, but you have the options of fooling the senses (Images/Mental Images/Shapeshift) or Multiform, if you want an actual change. I would personally feel better about a multiform, especially if it IS in a VPP - as you could then create an appropriate tree for the situation*.

That means, of course, you would have to be able to write up a 'tree'. Starting from a normal human template, that migth well be possible as you could buy back all movement, DEX, possibly STR, SPD etc...you might even get GM permission to build the tree as an automaton, depening on what it can do when a tree, and possibly even to change your mental group to 'plant', again with GM permission. I would imagine that most trees would simply be a collection of defences and Life Support, so they may not be that expensive.

I might have a play with HD3 later to see how I might build a tree and post it.

*Of course you could also have a multiform to a tree with the tree form being able to shapeshift to appear like any other tree...let's not go there...

The only value I have for sure are PD, ED and Body from the 6E "Breaking Objects" table:

< 2m: 4 rPD, 3 rED, 5 BODY

Others: 5rPD, 3 rED, and 8 or 11 BODY.

I think LS: Longelivity should be in the package propably at maximum level (not imortatlity, just very slowed aging).

A tree should also have no need to eat' date=' but I suppose that would be balanced by a dependency on sunlight.[/quote']

For most part I think this can jsut follow the normal rules for Eating/Drinking. It's not a special power. Only the way something mundane works changed.

It's similar to define that a Fish breaths water (instead of Air, not in adition to it). Or that a tree "eats" Carbon-Dioxide and Sunlight (and some minarals from the ground).

Trees can survive a lot longer without breathable air than people can though, so I still think you need some Life Support. I'd probably build in quite a lot of life support because trees can stand much hotter and colder conditions than humans can (certainly for short periods) and are probably less affected by radiation. I donlt know how long a tree can last without water (most trees will have tap roots that go deep enough to have a supply of water pretty much constantly), but they can probably survive without food for longer than humans can too as they make their own by photosynthesis - and they can also live in the dark for some time too.

Also, if you've ever tried to chop a tree down with an axe, you know that they have more than 5rPD and 11 Body...OK, I know there is a bit of artistic licence in those values for game play purposes, but I would certainly rack up the defences a bit higher than that, certainly if I was planning to BE the tree.