5	SPD	17		Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12
12	REC	2
50	END	0
45	STUN	0
Total Characteristics Cost: 158

Movement:	Running: 6" / 12"
Swimming: 2" / 4"

Cost	Powers & Skills
60	"Betsy": Multipower, 120-Point Reserve; All OAF (-1)
5	1) u M-60 Machine-gun: RKA 2 1/2d6, Autofire (5 shots; +1/2), 250 Charges (+1)
3	2) u Light Anti-Tank Rocket: RKA 4d6, Armor Piercing (+1/2), Explosion (+1/2);
1 Charge (-2)
2	3) u Napalm: RKA 3d6, Explosion (+1/2); 2 Continuous Shots of 1 Turn (-1)
3	4) u Flame-thrower: RKA 2d6, Area Of Effect (6" Line; +1), Armor Piercing (+1/2); 
1 Charge (-2)
1	5) u Rifle Butt: HA +4d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); Hand-to-Hand 
Attack (-1/2)

5	M-60 Machine-gun: +1 OCV, +2 RMod; OAF (-1)
11	M-9 Bayonet: HKA 1d6 (2d6 w/STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); OAF (-1)
10	Fragmentation Grenade: RKA 2d6, Explosion (+1/2); 1 Charge (-2), OAF (-1) Range 
Based on STR (-1/4)
9	Plastic Inlaid Skin: Armor (+3 PD/ +3 ED)
40	Plastic Inlaid Skin: Physical and Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 1/2; Stun 
Only (-1/2)
10	Rebuilt Skin and Muscles: Lack of Weakness (10 Points)
3	Protective Gas Mask: Life Support (Expanded Breathing); OIF (-1/2)
1	Swimming: +1" (3" total), END 1
7	First Aid Kit: +2 with Paramedic Rolls; OIF (-1/2) 

Red, White and Blue Pills: [Note: In the original story, "The Colonel" (see below) 
carried the pills, this version allows Nuke to have his own supply.]
27	Reds: Aid DEX, SPD, END, STUN 3d6, Variable Effect (+1); 24-30 Charges [pills] per 
bottle (+1/4); OAF (bottle of pills; -1), Gestures (must ingest; -1/2)
26	Whites: Healing 2d6 to All Primary Characteristics, Variable Effect (+2); 24-30 Charges 
[pills] per bottle (+1/4); OAF (bottle of pills; -1), Gestures (must ingest; -1/2)
na	Blues: [it is unclear what "blues" were for in the story. A good guess is they are 
some sort of "downer" meant to keep Nuke calm when not on a mission. In that case, the 
pills might be defined as a DEX, END, and STUN Drain.]

Perks:
10	Follower: "The Colonel" (50 point normal)

Talents:
16	Combat Sense 13-

Skills:
10	Combat Skill Levels: +2 with Hand-To-Hand
9	Combat Skill Levels: +3 OCV with "Betsy"
5	Autofire Skill: Accurate Sprayfire
5	Autofire Skill: Concentrated Sprayfire
5	Autofire Skill: Rapid Autofire
3	Breakfall 14-
3	Climbing 14-
5	Demolitions 13-
2	KS: Military World 11-
2	KS: US Army History And Customs 11-
0	Language: English (native)
3	Navigation 12-
3	Paramedic 12-
2	PS: Soldier 11-
5	Shadowing 13-
3	Stealth 14-
4	Survival (Temperate/Subtropical) 13-
3	Tactics 12-
6	WF: Small Arms, Grenade Launchers, Heavy Machine Guns, Knives, Rocket Launchers
327	Total Powers & Skills Cost
485	Total Character Cost

200+	Disadvantages
15	Distinctive Features: Flag Tattoo On Face (NC)
15	Hunted: US Military (MoPow, NCI, Watching) 11-
10	Physical Limitation: Addicted to Reds, Whites And Blues (F, S)
10	Psychological Limitation: Addicted To Reds, Whites And Blues (C, M)
25	Psychological Limitation: Blindly Patriotic (VC, T)
15	Psychological Limitation: Casual Killer (C, S)
0	(15) Psychological Limitation: Obsessed With "Our Boys" (C, S)
15	Social Limitation: Secret ID (Agent Simpson) (F, M)
20	Social Limitation: Subject To Orders (VF, M)
Super Soldier Bonus
485	Total Disadvantage Points

Background/History:

Nuke was created as part of the United States military super-soldier program. Since the formula used to make Steve Rodgers (i.e. Captain America) has been lost, a second solution was found. A select group of men were heavily modified with synthetic muscle, metal and plastics to produce a new "super-soldier." Nuke is the last of these agents, as the rest have all died (most likely in action).

Personality/Motivation:

Due to a steady diet of chemical enhancers, as well as extensive training and a strong dedication to duty, Nuke has become somewhat unhinged. He is a patriot to the point of being blind to his own actions, and is the perfect example of "my country, right or wrong." He is obsessed with freeing "our boys" from captivity in Vietnam, despises the "liberal media," and can even be talked into conducting a full-scale assault on a New York neighborhood in order to destroy someone who Nuke has been told (in effect) is "anti-American."

Quote:

"Give me a red..."

"Our boys... our boys..."

Powers/Tactics:

Before entering combat, Nuke will ask "The Colonel" for a "red." I presume this to be an amphetamine of some sort that serves to accelerate his adrenaline. After combat, he will ask for a white, which I presume works as a reliever of pain and fatigue. When experiencing downtime, Nuke is fed blues, which I guess act as some sort of suppressant, keeping Nuke calm and stable.

In combat, Nuke carries "Betsy," a modified M-60 light machine gun. Mounted on top of the barrel is a standard VLAW rocket, while two rails (on either side of the barrel) have small napalm charges. Under the barrel is the tube of a flame-thrower. Ammunition for the machine-gun is kept wrapped around Nuke's torso.

Nuke seems to prefer using a minimal amount of ordinance to do the most damage. Thus, he will fire at large groups of opponents with explosive attacks, fire the napalm into something flammable, use the rocket to take out a large or tall structure, and hit vehicles with the flame-thrower. Anyone else will be fired on with the machine-gun.

Appearance:

Nuke stands about 6'3" to 6'6" tall and must weigh well over 275 pounds. He is solid muscle, with a thick build. He goes into combat bare-chested, dressed only in BDU trousers and boots. His belt holds a grenade, his gasmask and a first aid kit, while the knife is kept in a boot sheath. Nuke's hair is blond, and he has an American flag tattooed onto his face.

Designer's Notes:

Nuke appeared in Daredevil for only three or four issues. He was part of the seven issue series that was collected into the "Born Again" trade paperback (which I think is one of the best comics stories written). I modified him slightly for this write-up, as some of his exhibited abilities made no sense. For example: Nuke fires 3-4 rockets in one battle, but we never see him carry any spares or reload; his gun uses a small clip, yet fires endlessly (and he carries ammo belts over both shoulders); it is not clear what "blues" do... I tinkered with Nuke just enough to make him logical, without altering the central ideas behind the character.

(Nuke created by Frank Miller, character sheet created by Michael Surbrook)

Re: Reds, Whites, and Blues...

"Reds" are some type of amphetamine... Nuke takes them right before he goes into battle, and the "rush kicks in like a rocket blast". Plus, Daredevil noted that Nuke's heartbeat was going way too fast, "probably amphetamines".

"Whites" are what Nuke takes immediately after combat -- most likely, they're a barbiturate, the direct counterpart to the "Reds", so he can 'come down' after one of his tactical rampages and get back in the chopper and go home.

"Blues" are what they feed him to keep him relatively docile back in the barracks for long periods of time between missions... most likely some type of Prozac.

Actually, the Reds are the only one you'd have to pay points for, I think.

Buy "Reds" as 3d6 Aid to SPD (and possibly to nonresistant PD and ED as well, to represent 'feels no pain'), with a Side Effect (Enraged at X-) and a Vulnerability (fades immediately if "white" is taken.)

"Blues" are purely a special effect.

Edit -- BTW, I remember the very painful time when I took a PC Silver Avenger up against People's Commando (4e "Red Doom"), who was loosely based on Nuke. I closed in, figuring that in close combat I'd have the edge, because I had a STR advantage and a SPD advantage. (Plus, 4e Silver Avengers aren't exactly overequipped with ranged attacks powerful enough to put a guy like People's Commando down.)

And then People's Commando popped *his* "Aid to SPD" pill, and there went my Speed advantage... and wham, between that and a couple of lousy die rolls, I got my head handed to me. I eventually had to pick up a nearby car and use it as both an improvised melee weapon (because I was needing Area Of Effect just to hit the SOB at all) and as cover to hide behind (because that modified AK was really starting to hurt).