Missle Deflection & Refletion Question

TheQuestionMan

I'm re-building an old character and need some help . Originally based on Winter(no flight) from Wildstorm , Backlash from Marvels New Universe , and Bishop from Marvels X-Men .

Power:

Missle Deflection & Refletion vs all ranged attacks , +5 OCV , Delayed Effect(1/4) , Only vs Energy Attacks(-1) .

The idea is to absorb a enemies attack and release it when desired thus the DELAYED EFFECT , but it just doesn't read right to me .

Suggestions Please .

PS : Also had some Energy Adjustment Powers .

The way Delayed Effect is defined, it will delay the activation of your Reflection itself. You're going to need your GM's agreement to use it this way.

You might also want to look at Trigger for this construct. I think that cost structure would be more in line with a superheroic game (Delayed Effect is supposed to be for campaigns with limits on the number of powers activated at any time; it seems undercosted for Champions to me).

I think a better, and much less problematic, way to do this would be to buy some Absorbtion Linked to the Missile Deflection, and to have this the Absorbtion feed into an END Battery that powers up some sort of ranged attack.

Actually, even this might be a bit broken, as it bypasses the typical "Absorbtion does not act as a defense" and the principle that one has to be hit by something to Absorb it, but it seems a lot less problematic than Delayed Reflection.

If anyone really wants to, I suppose one could toss these ideas past Steve for a ruling regarding legality.

Character Flavor is Improtant

The idea behind the character is to absorb any energy attack and then release(reflect) it back at the original attacker or someone else .

ex; Oculon blasts Rogue Trooper (the PC in question) with a 20d6 EB and RT successfully MD&R'ed it . Now he can decide to 1.) reflect it immediately back at his attacker .

2.) reflect it at another target .

3.) hold onto the 20d6 EB to use later to attack anyone else .

Regardless of the idea behind the character, I'd be extremely wary of a character being able to "hold onto" an intercepted attack for later use. That allows the character to have access to a big, free attack, at whatever point and target desired. In terms of cost, that's potentially a heck of a lot of bang for very few points - much fewer than if the character had purchased said attack.

Reflection is cost-balanced because 1) it essentially requires a held Attack phase, and 2) must be done immediately, and is thus not subject to much control of timing, etc. by the character with Reflection. What you describe is not cost-balanced at all because it can be used whenever one would use one's own attacks. Again - it gives an attack that is potentially of a sort your character potentially cannot normally deliver, at no END cost, etc.

As a Champions GM of 20 years experience, I would certainly "just say no" to this one.

Originally posted by JeffreyWKramer

I think a better, and much less problematic, way to do this would be to buy some Absorbtion Linked to the Missile Deflection, and to have this the Absorbtion feed into an END Battery that powers up some sort of ranged attack.

Actually, even this might be a bit broken, as it bypasses the typical "Absorbtion does not act as a defense" and the principle that one has to be hit by something to Absorb it, but it seems a lot less problematic than Delayed Reflection.

If anyone really wants to, I suppose one could toss these ideas past Steve for a ruling regarding legality.

No need to buy absorption for this type of absorption. This is an absorption power that simply requires Missile Reflection/Deflection and an Energy Blast with variable SFX/Advantages and a limitation on its use to fit the concept.

Originally posted by Agent X

No need to buy absorption for this type of absorption. This is an absorption power that simply requires Missile Reflection/Deflection and an Energy Blast with variable SFX/Advantages and a limitation on its use to fit the concept.

That would work well... buy an EB with Variable SFX and Advantages, with the Limitation it only works if the character has used Missile Deflection in the fairly recent past, and that the character has to use his EB to mimic as closely as possible whatever it was he Deflected.

How about buying a 20d6 Energy Blast, Variable Advantage +1 (Only Advantages Possessed By Last Attack Deflected; +1 3/4), Variable Special Effect (Only The Special Effect Of The Last Attack Deflected; +1/4), 1 Recoverable Charge (Charge Recovered By Deflecting An Attack With Missile Deflect; -1 1/4), Limited Power: Only Can Use Amount Of Dice Equal To The Last Attack Deflected (-1) ?

And you could also get a RKA with the same advantages and limitations and put them both in a multipower.

Originally posted by The Watcher

How about buying a 20d6 Energy Blast, Variable Advantage +1 (Only Advantages Possessed By Last Attack Deflected; +1 3/4), Variable Special Effect (Only The Special Effect Of The Last Attack Deflected; +1/4), 1 Recoverable Charge (Charge Recovered By Deflecting An Attack With Missile Deflect; -1 1/4), Limited Power: Only Can Use Amount Of Dice Equal To The Last Attack Deflected (-1) ?

And you could also get a RKA with the same advantages and limitations and put them both in a multipower.

That would work fine and dandy, and be reasonably cheap, given the Limitations on the MP. And it wouldn't be broken at all. The only problem might be to fit it within Active Point limits for a campaign... the overall dice of the EB might have to be reduced to allow for that.