Help with a power

KX_Mushashi

Re: Help with a power

I am working on a character that is blind and uses TK and Telepathy to see. I am not sure if just giving him a complication that he can't see nontexture things' date=' or if I should build a power with detect radar, or range touch with discriminatory to tell foes from friends.[/quote']

Not sure, but I think that Touch is not a Targeting Sense.... And at 2AM, I'll let someone else confirm/refute that. ;)

You need to give us more information. If he uses TK and Telepathy to see and that has no other effect on the character then you simply have an odd SFX for your normal sight and you don't need to "build" a power at all. If this is not the case then what do you want the effects of his "altered sight" to be in game? Can he see in total darkness (because he doesn't use "light" to see)? Can he see things through walls or other materials? Is he only "blinded" by an odd type of flash (ie Flashes to the Mental group)?

Answers to these (and other) questions will probably point you in the right direction.

On a GM note, being "blind" is worth 35 points. If whatever power you use to build your replacement sight costs less it should be a disadvantage in some way. If it costs more then it can be a benefit (but the benefit should be somewhat related to the differences in costs.) Minor differences are fine, but being blind just to gain bonus points for your character is generally a bad idea.

The main ramification of buying spatial awareness is that you can perceive through walls and such (it is penetrative). You can detect general shapes but you cant see fine details, coloring, etc. You can't read with it. If you saw the Dark Knight movie the x-ray image of the building that Bats uses to find the Jokers goons is an example of Spatial Awareness. Also, if you watched the original Avatar:TLAB series Tauf's ability to "see" through the ground is an example of Spatial Awareness (although it might change from passive to active, and possibly drop the sense modifier).

What you are basically talking about building here is a Detect. At the base level I would build it something like this:

Detect: Physical Objects (10 pts), Sense (2 pts), Targeting (10 pts), Mental Sense Group, Active. 22 AP Unified Power (-1/4) (Unified with TK) 18 RC

The effects of this are that you can see Physical Objects in your immediate area, and their general shape. You have no idea what color they are and can't read (even embossed lettering or Braile) with this sense. This version does not let you "see through" objects (as that would imply an indirect advantage on your TK). Also, whenever you are using your TK to see you are basically alerting anyone with Mental Awareness to your position (as they can "see" your TK).

Using Telepathy as sight would only allow you to do that if there were other minds present. That is a function of Clairsentience. Here is a basic writeup:

Clairsentience (Sight) (20 pts), Mobile Perception Point (5 pts), 25 AP. Only through the Senses of Others (-1/2), *One Sense Only (-1/4), Only while maintaining Greater than EGO Telepathy effect on target (-1/2), Affected as Sight and Mental Sense Groups (-1/4) 10 RC

PLUS

Normal Sight 35 points, Only useable with Clairsentience (-1/2) 23 RC

This will allow you to see through the eyes of anyone within 200m of you whom you have established a Telepathic link with (could change that to mind link if you want at no change in cost). This also allows you full use of their normal sight (which does however require you to "buy back" a limited form of your sight to have it useable through Clair.) It does mean that you will be affected if the target is hit with a Mental or Sight flash (and note that a Mental flash on the target would also affect your TK Sight effectively completely blinding you).

All told this power suite costs you 16 points (51 points - 35 from selling back normal sight.) On your own you are somewhat handicapped, but if you have a willing mind you can see just find (and unwilling minds work as well, but require some effort) You could reduce the cost further with other limitations of course.

Based on what little info you gave us to go on this was the best I could come up with.

*Not sure if that limitation should apply since there is only one sense that could be effective, but I would probably allow it so I included it.

Psyber came up with a good presentation for "see through the eyes of others," as one might expect given the name.

For a telekinetic sense, I'd suggest adding Range and Targetting to normal Touch, and perhaps putting the Unified Power Limitation on both this sense and Telekinesis. Also possibly Perciptible, because if this sense consists of making contact with people and objects telekinetically, they'll feel you feeling them, and might see the effects on objects of an "invisible hand" groping around. On the other hand, this will let you read braille at range 9f the character knows braille at all.)

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary just buys Invisible Extra Limbs and Stretching

Hrm, interesting idea. I actually had to go back and reread the rules for the ranged Sense modifier, for some reason I thought that it would let you touch objects at a distance only, which would in effect give you a really long blind man's* cane to use, but not give you the ability to "see" your surroundings effectively. Which seems more like your "invisible hand groping around" concept as well.

Whatever method you go with don't forget the abilities of Discriminatory and Analyze if you want more use out of your extra sense. (Discriminatory is needed to read Braille and is included for free in Touch if you go that route. Analyze would let you read any print based upon the difference in texture of the ink and the paper.)

*I in no way intend to be offensive to the blind with this comment. I do not know if the canes commonly used by blind people have a specific name. I am merely using this as a visual example of the effect of a power. Thank You.

My fault for thinking a few steps ahead an not putting it down. Discriminatory and 360 are also things I am thinking about having for it.

The idea that he does use TK to see and it would be unified to his other mental powers, though since at this point it is second nature he doesn't need to spend endurance each round. Though I don't want him to see through windows and the like since that would prevent his tk from passing through and having a solid like back to him, so I am likely to pick up LOS as well for it and limit it somehow. The Telepathy end is just reading surface thoughts and is sort of the way I was thinking I could add discriminatory to the sense. On flashes I am thinking an odd sense group is the way to go so that they have to drain his powers or have a flash for him to blind him.

Another idea I might do is put concentration on his TK or maybe do an idea that I would have to have the GM approve of and put the 360 and LOS into a compound power in a multipower pool with his TK so when he uses his TK his sight weakens to show that they are the same power.