Suppressing my rage

Sean Waters

Re: Suppressing my rage

To the Graviton issue specifically, he's been repeatedly shown in the comics to be extremely powerful, but lacking in combat skills and experience (ie he makes poor choices tactically) and not really having much idea of what he wants to do with his powers overall. Not sure if that made the translation into the cartoon. We can retrofit all sorts of reasons he couldn't toss the Hulk into space but could toss Iron Man depending on the situations, though. Maybe it takes a full phase, or he has to drop his force field, or he needs to concentrate, any of which would mean he can't use this tactic effectively in group or HTH combat. But the bottom line is that characters don't do things that would wreck the writer's plot, and lots of people do things in the heat of the moment that, in later armchair analysis, doesn't hold up as a good choice.

To the Graviton issue specifically' date=' he's been repeatedly shown in the comics to be extremely powerful, but lacking in combat skills and experience (ie he makes poor choices tactically) and not really having much idea of what he wants to do with his powers overall. Not sure if that made the translation into the cartoon. We can retrofit all sorts of reasons he couldn't toss the Hulk into space but could toss Iron Man depending on the situations, though. Maybe it takes a full phase, or he has to drop his force field, or he needs to concentrate, any of which would mean he can't use this tactic effectively in group or HTH combat. But the bottom line is that characters don't do things that would wreck the writer's plot, and lots of people do things in the heat of the moment that, in later armchair analysis, doesn't hold up as a good choice.[/quote']

In the cartoon clip he clearly did reverse gravity around the Hulk, as all the debris around him started floating up, but Hulk just ignored that (and not be holding on to the ground - he jumps at Graviton). Also he shows an astonishing degree of control over his powers because he was able to use his powers to push IM, Thor and Giant Man back against buildings and (despite them all being strong enough to know buildings down) was able to hold them there, suggesting that he was able to create opposing gravity fields in two or more directions at once individually focused on the separate targets that he hit simultaneously.

Not only that, he had enough control to hold them all individually: the force required to hold Thor in place would have crushed Giant Man completely, and gravity would not be affected by armour at all.

So, if he is supposed to be lacking in combat skill and experience, I dread to think what he is going to be like when he gets his act together. I know it is only a cartoon, but I've seen more realistic and consistent physics in The Simpsons.

His issue in the comics tends to be more a lack of focus - he holds a few strong characters in place, but then gets distracted by someone else, and the field around one of the held characters weakens enough for them to get loose. That said, his gravity powers have always looked more like TK than gravity being altered.