What Can’t Hero Do?

Ndreare

Re: What Can’t Hero Do?

It's just a silly restriction that reminds me of the old -1 OCV if character moved during the phase. I am not really sure what would break by moving to the can move after attack system. I don't remember any issues coming up when we tried it.

DND does have a system to discourage you from moving after a melee attack - attacks of opportunity. Not prevent you moving, but presenting potential consequences if you do. It also has several ways to avoid those consequences! I don't see any real reason to define when you should be able to move in your phase though. Moving after an attack is potentially useful, but if your opponent can just move back to you and attack, it is of relatively little use. Of course if you have both better initiative AND movement, you could hold an action until after your opponent attacks (presumably someone else) then move in and attack, and on your next phase attack and move away, giving you two free hits. I can see how that might become tiresome. Even if there are only the two of you, A runs up and punches, then B punches then A punches and moves away, thus getting in two hits for every one of the opponent's. You might find that vexing if you were on the receiving end. Your tactic would have to be to hold an action until your opponent moved in and attacked. It then all becomes a bit overly tactical and less accessible, perhaps?

Re: What Can’t Hero Do?

The "attacking ends your phase" is in, I believe, because of the nature of movement in HERO system. While it can work in many settings it is really easy to make a truly abusive character if you can move after attacking, especially considering how cheap movement powers are in the game. That doesn't mean we CAN'T remove the penalty, then it is just up to the GM to ensure that abusive character builds never make it into the game. (And if you want to move after attacking as is you can do it RAW, just buy a movement power with a trigger "after attacking").